Harvard Racism

Not a surprise. People here have been posting data on this for years, as well as analyses on how anti-meritocracy (racism/sexism) impacts society. Wait till we see the data on discrimination against males.

The info came out thanks to the lawsuit by Students for Fair Admissions over admission policies that discriminate against Asian-Americans.

A male Asian-American with a 25 percent chance of admission would have a 35 percent chance if he were white, 75 percent if he were Hispanic and 95 percent if he were black. (The legal brief didn’t outline a similar breakdown for females.)

The stunning evidence of Harvard’s racism

#honestly

^ Point is people are going to keep fighting for their rights, and you racists can’t stop that. :bulb:

As someone who hangs out with a lot of East Asians, I’ve been hearing about this for a long time. Asians are just too polite to bring it up in mixed company, but they know it’s happening, and sooner or later were going to fight.

Welcome to ethno-tribalism (see Nazi Germany as the worst example), what the “liberals” ignited.

Not enough time to fight. Must study!

Well, people from certain countries can’t even apply directly to Beijing Daxue, so Harvard’s policy is very tame by comparison. Study harder whiners, at least you have a shot.

Even within China it is a big issue:

Students from Beijing, though fewer in number, are accepted to top universities at much higher rates than those from other provinces (via Yiqin Fu, data via Sina, Tsinghua, and Peking University)

While it may seem counter-intuitive, competition for spots at China’s top universities is less fierce in populous cities like Beijing and Shanghai than in China’s more rural provinces. This is because universities located in Beijing will reserve more spots for students with Beijing hukou, and thus the lowest qualifying score for a Beijing-based test-taker may be vastly lower than the score required from a student taking the examination in Henan or Jiangsu.

https://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/06/chinas-unfair-college-admissions-system/276995/

i think its ok to discriminate against privileged people who are superior. kind of like taxing the rich right?

If these tools wanted to go to a homogeneous cookie cutter uni-dimensional group think tank they’d have applied to Cal-Tech or Beijing University. Instead the fly around the world to apply to the US system based on holistic admissions and student body diversity then cry foul when the system functions exactly as advertised. If they got in, I’m sure they’d all be over the moon with how great the experience is.

#Alphie

So in the theme of this thread I got passed up for a fellows program at another grad program I’m looking at. My Dad goes on this tirade on the phone about how the whole world’s against you as a white man, lol. Was like, “No Dad… that doesn’t sound like an accurate description of the situation.”

I’m on the fence here a bit. There is something to be said about having diversity so Harvard and other schools should be free to allow in who they want for whatever reasons; they are a private university. Further, to achieve that diversity or whatever long-term goal there is, some frictional costs are to be expected. That said, and this is where I agree with PA, too much affirmative action or whatever the tax is I think sends the wrong message (could be moral hazard), not sure it really corrects past misdeeds (there might be better ways), and can put people in positions they are woefully unqualified for (this can be a huge drag on society and quite dangerous for certain fields).

^I agree with needing to balance objectives, but evidenced by their track record, top schools seem to be managing that very well.

just leave the race/ethnicity box blank

there are 3 choices.

level the workplace. this will prolly create a greater impact if ur allowing dumber people to do a job they arent trained for.

level the school. this will fix the educational imbalance at the workplace and train minorities to do better. best policy imo.

level the home. reparations baby!!! Free money for nothing. this is prolly dumb policy.

This has been going on for years. It’s part of their plan to make everything “fair”. If they want it to be fair, they should take off race and gender on college applications. Affirmative Action in college admissions does the very thing it was designed to fight again.

Fair point and the impact is probably immaterial given the number of admitted students vs. general population is tiny. The very accomplished person that doesn’t get a seat because of diversity is 99.99999999% going to be just fine. Where it becomes a problem is when such a policy is used as an excuse more broadly (e.g. reparations, which as nerdy said are just dumb).

As usual you guys can’t macro-synthesize.

This is a macro-trend in the US (government, corporations, education), institutionalized bigotry, which is a sub-trend within the overall trend of postmodernism…which brought Trump. It’s a problem, and it ain’t going away, no matter how much you head-in-the-sand.

You gotta both analyze and synthesize.

guys even if name, ethnicity is left blank they will be able to tell the asians because they all have identical applications because their parents all make them do piano/violin/latin/sat prep/APs and their applications look the same.

as ive said before, spoke to this guy who was like 3rd generation princeton grad & was talking about how his kids arent smart enough to get in & he pushed his daughter to play squash from a young age to set her apart & got her into a different top school she wouldnt have otherwise gotten into.

love watching PA cry about racism against his people while saying racism against others is acceptable/good/deserved/non-existant. such a NIMBY its not even funny. he moves the goalposts to fit whatever he feels that day. womp womp.

Ah, pull the old Vin Diesel.

Fail. I’m a non-tribalist. You petty tribalists can never grasp that…

is this a PA alt? your second post on AF? not taking you seriously. obviously not all asians are the same but the ones complaining are all from the wealthy regions of asia & the SE asians get screwed by the policy. now its just you crying about libs cause you got triggered… womp womp