Immigration Canada vs States

[original post removed]

Welcome back Atush.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_net_migration_rate

in absolute amounts, teh united states gets the most immigrants at 5m from 2007 to 2012! The next 1 is turkey at 2m. Canada at 6th place comes at 1.1m. it seems that the high quality canadians ranging from justin bieber to drake become american due to our awesomeness!

lol drake didn’t become an american. you can keep bieber

They are both systems that attract losers, while making it difficult for desirable people.The flood of losers drives down labor costs, drives up housing costs, drives up consumption, thus maximizing valuations. Sell it with some corporate-liberalism “we care so much about the losers.”

…and then longer-term the society collapses, but never mind that little detail.

Only an Asian could write this. So anyone who moves or immigrates because they are poor is a loser? That’s just rude and wrong. It’s really the opposite, people who sacrifice it all to start over in US or Canada, are hungry and motivated. Within 1 generation they are out of poverty and pushing into middle-class. It’s true they might not all be software engineers on arrival, but they fill a need in the society today, and their kids are disproportionately going into STEM fields. The losers will be the xenophobic countries like Japan, Korea, China, and Eastern Europe. They will just keep ageing and dying off, safe in the knowledge everyone is just like them.

I have the weirdest boner right now.

Nope, not white. Half asian, half latino.

imo this should be like cfa exams. us is like getting the charter. you dont get that shit right away. you need to pass l1 first which is equivalent to a shithole country, and keep progressing!

As an Asian, but a libertarian, I think Harvard should be able to run their school however they think is appropriate. It’s a private school, not a public service. The only thing that annoys me is that they seem to view Asians as a monolithic block, and that ignores the great diversity that exists among people of Asian descent. That seems naive for such a sophisticated place.

Harvard is a private entity, but like similar universities, it benefits from highly preferential tax advantages that benefit its staff and endowment, and substantial government grants to fund research or to subsidize tuition. These benefits are based on the assumption that the university ultimately provides a public service. It is reasonable that Harvard should be subjected to non discriminatory standards in return.

In addition, discrimination is illegal in other private entities. If large private companies are not allowed to practice racial discrimination in employment, because this is some sort of principle that is nationally accepted, then why should prominent universities not be held to a similar standard?

This. nailed it

Wrong from sentence one, I’m white, checkmate. But let’s continue for fun…

Yes, they fill the need of driving down wages, disrupting the culture, and thus maximizing profits and control.

You’re just repeating corporate propaganda; “we care so much about the losers.” Nope, see above.

Nations that wisely stick to their ancient roots, and thus don’t wither like the short-sighted Western fools.

I’m a big fan of immigration. But we should only pick the best players, like in basketball!

Comp programmer from top public university in Philippines. High quality immigrant albeit from a shithole country. Why so much love for low quality immigrants? If you were a hot chick would you date someone fat and poor! I would hope not.

I get your point, we need both skilled and unskilled. There is an entire spectrum of jobs that no one in this country wants to do except new arrivals trying to get a foothold on the economic ladder. Do you like to eat? The ag industry depends on immigrants and guest laborers. So does just about every job related to cleaning…

The next time you stay at the Holiday Inn, you can check that box that says, I will clean my own room.

I don’t really have a horse in this one. I don’t like affirmative action, but I don’t recall hearing Asian students complaining when they were displacing white students because Harvard wanted diversity in the student body. Now they are a substantial group at the school and other groups represent diversity Harvard is seeking…to me Harvard is just being consistent. If schools cannot have any discretion in how they deliver their mission, then say good bye to race based admissions, but also sports and other admissions that are discretionary.