Why, oh why???

Why is it that a man can dress like a woman, wear makeup and dresses, and not only is it acceptable, but even praised as heroic?

Yet wearing “blackface” (even if it was 18 years ago) makes you a racist?

Why can you self-identify your gender, but not self-identify race?

I don’t necessarily agree or disagree with either, but why the disconnect?

Context is relevant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_show

So this is wear I probably diverge with most of my liberal counterparts. There’s a difference between blackface, which has been historically racist, and something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Dolezal. (I’m guessing you’re referring to the former, since cases like Dolezal are super rare) There’s a difference between putting shoe-polish on your face and taking hormone-replacement therapy for years on end and surgically changing your genitals.

I think the whole blackface thing really comes down to the fact that Americans (or anyone really) in general lack the emotional intelligence to properly dissect the intentions of someone who is doing blackface, or any color face.

What I mean by that is if someone wore blackface with the intentions of just playing a role and not actually trying to insult the cultural background, there shouldn’t be anything wrong with that. But if you wore blackface and then went around purposely trying to embarrass yourself by exploiting stereotypes, then yeah, it’s definitely a problem (example: Jim Crow).

But at the end of the day, I’m not black, so I could be off the mark on this entirely. Which is why, it’s probably best if we just didn’t wear any face.

Unpopular opinion: As long as you are not promoting hate towards a race, I don’t even see a problem with stereotypes. People don’t like it, but there are some truths to stereotypes. Being Asian, I hear the same stereotypes over and over again. Is it annoying? Sure–I’d rather hear something original. But is it racism and do I find it personally offensive? Definite no.

On one hand, it is perceived as a caricature of those races, like it is making fun of them. The second thing is that all these race groups have formed some kind of clan identity that they want to keep exclusive or authentic or something.

Actually, I’ve seen a lot of internet stuff lately about people getting mad about others calling themselves bi/gay/trans-this or that, when they don’t meet the strict criteria in terms of wanting to bang guys/girls, having dick/balls, or used to have them, or all sorts of different technical details. So, I guess it’s starting to trickle into there also.

Some stereotypes are damaging, some aren’t. While I do see your point, and I agree with you, I have to double down on what I said earlier that most people in general lack the emotional intelligence to understand your true intentions. I totally get that you can take a joke. Most people can’t, and when it boils down to the question of “how ought we to live?” the answer, is that, well, there’s some things in life you just shouldn’t do - e.g: blackface.

ps: you sound like a chill bro. Would hang out with /10.

What race is Hercule supposed to be?

most likely a mulatto

the funniest thing is that trudeau with a tan is much closer to aladdin than trudeau with blackface/brownface. why did he paint himself so dark if he’s trying to look like aladdin?

also, blackface has a much different history than brownface so there’s contextual differences there as well. blackface basically represents slavery and whites expropriating black culture as their own for their own benefit. brownface doesn’t really have that history.

dude’s dad was prime minister forever. you think somebody somewhere would be like “don’t you think you should stop doing blackface?”. one time is weird enough but dude has like a blackface fetish or something.

Where is Swan at? He too busy counting his chips from shorting NFLX?

39 wit rice T_T

Screw cultural appropriation. Bunch of pansy ass tumblrinas…

In some situations context is relevant. Blackface is one of them. But in some situations, it is blatant that the people who cry racism are in fact racist themselves, or at least deem some qualities of other people undesirable.

A story from my high school days: I come from nothern europe, I look like a northern European (I could be in a Viking movie) and when I moved to the US at the age of 16, I had a very strong northern european accent. At my high school, my accent and appearance became the butt of jokes, even some of the teachers made fun of me. I wasn’t offended, I even thought that it was pretty funny. At the same time, there was a bunch of korean and jamaican students who also looked and talked different than the local kids. Then one day someone made fun of their appearance, accent and food (and they thought it was funny too), just like I was made fun of, and all hell broke loose and the jokesters almost got expelled for racism. So basically it was ok to make fun of a northern european while koreans and jamaicans were to be left out of "racist’’ jokes because koreans and jamaicans were viewed to be somehow inferior to europeans.

Same thing in sports. In college, opponents would tell me to take my euro trash ass back to where I came from. Nobody cared, it was just a part of the game. But imagine telling an african athlete to go back to africa? Might as well say good bye to your NCAA career.

Can’t it just be that those who made fun of your accents were a-sholes too? Why does it have to be that you need to stoop down their level instead of disliking the injustice done to you.

A thread from 15½ years ago – on another forum – that seems oddly appropriate:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/off-topic-talk-3/he-really-eligible-award-177747/

Unfortunately, many of the comments, and the original FoxNews article, are missing, but there’s still a lot of interesting discussion there.

What do you mean by stooping down to their level? I explained what I’ve seen, I wasn’t calling anyone anything. I believe you’re missing my point here. I’m pointing to the obvious double standards at play and the hidden racist biases of those who claim that they’re not racist. The fact that everyone thinks that making fun of a nothern european is OK while getting all worked up when a jamaican is made fun of, shows that these people believe that jamaicans and northern europeans should be treated differently.

Well, duh!

Especially when it comes to bobsledding.

like is said, context is relevant.

Instead of talking about blackface, you talk about the mean things said about you while you were a kid and lamenting that you couldn’t say mean things back.

So I could take 3 things from it:

1. You wanna say mean things back

2. You’re using your personal experiences with racism to show that you’re empathetic to the plight of minorities

3. You’re pointing out a double standard for no reason and don’t have any purpose pointing it out and the convo stops there. Aka the ‘I’m not racist, im just quoting a statistic’ defense

we all get that you pointed out the double standard, but why would you do that in a thread about black face. You’re not talking about a black man in white-face, just random racism.

Arguing with you is pointless. You’re trying to make a point by putting words in my mouth. Your point #1 and #2 above are completely a result of your own imagination or lack of reading comprehension. I wanted to say mean things back? To who? Nowhere in my comment did I say anything like that.

Your point #3 about doubles standards not having anything to do with blackface is pretty odd, given that Greenie started the thread by pointing out some of the double standards at play.