1:1 Virtual Career Advising from a Volunteer (Completed CFA Program; Stanford MBA)

Hi all,

I am posting to offer free 1:1 career advising support to this community, to take place virtually (phone or video call). Given the unusual (and stressful) circumstances we currently find ourselves in, I want to try to help those who may be in search of some career advice. This is not my profession (I’m just volunteering) and I don’t claim to be an expert, but to the extent anyone would find an independent perspective helpful as a sounding board, I want to make myself available.

To be clear, there is no catch or product or service I’m selling. I am just offering myself as a free resource. I have done it before and others have said it was helpful.

Background on me:

• I completed the CFA Program in 2019
  • I am currently an MBA student at the Stanford Graduate School of Business
  • My prior work experience is in private equity, investment banking, and public equity
  • Demographically, I’m male, mid-20s, from the United States

Potential topics we could discuss in 1:1 advising:

• CFA Program (why it can be worthwhile, how to succeed)
  • MBA programs (why it can be worthwhile, how to prepare an application, how to make the most of the experience)
  • Professional work in finance (private equity, investment banking, public equity)

If you are interested in scheduling a time, please send me a direct message. I will accomodate as many people as I can.

Just so you know, I voted to kill this thread. I’ve never encountered one of these that wasn’t a scam.

HOWEVER, it just occurred to me that these are weird times and some people need extra income so this could be legit. Or a good time to scam people…

How to resolve? If you’re going to offer a paid service, my opinion is you should link to your LInkedin page or something else detailing your actual name, profession, and credentials. That’d mean doxxing yourself, but this was your first post so there’s no downside if you’re for real.

And, that’d be a good business move anyway because I’m guessing you’ve received zero serious inquiries. Posting your verifiable qualifications will help you get clients.

(I feel like I’m talking to @numi 10 years ago.)

Edit: I just realized you clearly stated you’re not selling anything. This is either very altruistic of you, or you’re teeing people up to get scammed.

Edit 3: You know what? These are messed up times and I’m going to rescind everything I said. I’m going to believe you’re a good dude (or dudette) and you’re just trying to help people. I just changed my mind three times in as many minutes. Working from home is really boring.

1 Like

Hey buddy, thanks for the shoutout. How are you doing, hopefully you and your family are safe and in good health? Isn’t it amazing how the last 10 years (12 to be exact) have flown by?

I’ve been pinged by some folks here about my articles on Mergers & Inquisitions / Business Insider and whether I have another article coming out soon. The answer to the second question is “no,” and unfortunately I haven’t been able to respond in a timely fashion to all my inbox messages because I’ve had my hands full helping to run a fund. But one silverlining to all the unfortunate things happening in the world these days is that the trading volatility has actually helped equities businesses at the margin, both in terms of the trade volumes on hand and investors looking left and right for advice. Anyhow, a bunch of the big banks and funds are on near-term hiring freezes but some of it is being abated (surely due to the near-term market rally - how long this lasts is a different question) and firms are always looking to bring on new analysts and associates. So here are some helpful articles in case any of you are curious; and, if you email me at numi.advisory@gmail.com, I’ll do my best to respond in a timely fashion but please don’t be offended if it takes a couple days for me to write back.

Thanks, please practice social distancing, and best wishes to all.

Equity Research Recruiting: https://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/equity-research-recruiting/
Equity Research Careers: https://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/equity-research-careers/
Stock Pitch Guide: How to Pitch a Stock in Buy-Side Interviews: https://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/stock-pitch-guide/
Multi-Manager vs. Single-Manager Hedge Funds: https://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/multi-manager-vs-single-manager-funds/