130 hours?

I am considering approaching CFA I in June 2011. I can realistically dedicate to it 130 hours (10h per week). I know everybody is saying 300 and more hours are advised, but having a degree in Economics and IMC, do you think is doable? Thank you!

130 hours are not enough for 98% of the people.

No, take it in december and study will be more relaxed.

I spent 180 hours on Level I in 2009 and passed easily. It all depends on your background and your aptitude.

Thing is, I will most likely start a new job, which I have to give priority to. The only reason for rushing into June is to have more time for L2 in June 2012 (given that I pass this one of course!), because I have the feeling that L2 is pretty tight to prepare in 4 months only…or is this not true?

giorgio10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thing is, I will most likely start a new job, > which I have to give priority to. > The only reason for rushing into June is to have > more time for L2 in June 2012 (given that I pass > this one of course!), because I have the feeling > that L2 is pretty tight to prepare in 4 months > only…or is this not true? 4 months for Level 2 is certainly tight but 130 hours for Level 1 is pushing it according to posts on this forum. I feel your dilemma really depends on your background and aptitude as posted earlier. If you put in ample time for the December exam, be confident you passed, you can go ahead and at least start reviewing some material for Level 2 before results are out for Level 1 (that would give you 5 months). Many have accomplished the Dec-Jun scenario for the first 2 levels. And then again, maybe with your schedule it is just not feasible. If money is not an issue, prepare hardcore for June and if you fail, you can always retake in Dec.

Hi, georgio. This really depends on the person. Are you smart or average?

Ohai, I am pretty smart, but here it looks like it goes well beyond that. I am reading of people planning to do, in a row: CAIA L1 in september, then CFA L1 in december, then CAIA L2 in march and finally CFA L2 in June. My respect, but I just wonder: 1. Don’t you have a life? 2. Are you working / have you ever worked? 3. If you want to be a portfolio manager, do you at least manage your own portfolio, do some paper trading, have some views on the market? It just doesn’t look like MBA and CFA are sufficient anymore to land some good jobs. According to my experience, there is no correlation between being a successful PM and being CFA. Comments are welcome!

Hmm. I don’t see how your further questions are relevant. I’m just pointing out that 130 hours is plenty for a gifted person, but might be inadequate for someone who is not as talented.

Yes you can do it in 127 hours, if you have the will.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No. Level 1 is very comprehensive and even if you have a background in finance there will still be a lot of new concepts that can only be learned/retained through sheer repetition. If you’re going to cram, however, L1 would be the place to do it so I say go for it. Even if you fail you can retake it in December and almost guarantee a pass.

As a charterholder who had an undergraduate in Econ, etc. I would seriously consider not taking the June exam. The economics are you expecting are completely different that what will be on the test. Very specific and even arcane in places. I would say 180-200 hours would be possible, but only if you already work in the industry and have DEDICATED time, not snippets.