15 Highest Paid jobs

cfaboston28 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > IronMan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The elite finance jobs will always pay more > than > > any other career, except being an actor, model, > > musician, or pro athlete. > > > This is true but to get one is a tough thing. I > would say it takes at least 10 years to get an > elite job. Doctors make in 6 figures right after > school and they have the best job security. In > finance, every thing depends on the market or how > much money you make for the company. Doctors make 6 figures after med school and residency? How long does that take? Quite a while. And meantime, they are in massive debt when they get out that they need to pay down. Meanwhile, finance guys are saving money as soon as they get out of undergrad. After 10 years, I’d say the finance guy and doctor are pretty even.

I think blanket stats like these are garbage. I don’t think they showed where they got the figures (correct me if I’m wrong) but that can also have an impact. For example, the BLS figures are often in disagreement with surveys by industry groups (most familiar in this regard with actuarial salaries.) It’s much more instructive to see a more detailed breakdown by years experience, highest degree attained, geography, type of firm/practice/company, etc. It would also be nice to see some percentiles. Bottom line: “lies, damn lies, and statistics”

That’s how much a CEO makes on average… don’t believe it. Do these figures take into factor stock compensation and bonuses? It just says average salary… as thats the case, investment professionals would have no chance making this list. If you look at bonuses, I’m sure you’d see us at the top of the charts.

Wow - I can’t believe orthodontists make nearly as much as surgeons…don’t get me wrong I like my straight teeth but I could live without them…

ya, orthodontic surgery is about as selective for dental students as dermatology is for medical students

I know dentists - some who are dual orthos, too - who make much much more than the average because they do the consultation and let the hygienists and assistants do most of the actual work (as do some doctors). Some of their hygienists make six-figures if they’re on commission - and you can just go to a community college for that. Aside from the suicide rates, most professions can’t beat dental field…working 9-5, 4-6 days a week, be your own boss and make that much money.

Dwight Wrote: > Also they have the highest suicide rate among > professional occupations. Really? My dentist was telling me how a number of his dentist friends had offed themselves in the last few years…thought it was kinda a weird thing to be talking about while working on my molars. Anyhow…saw this post and made me remember that weird convo.

needhelp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Didnt realize pilots made so much money. Never > could understand why anaesthesiologists make big > bucks. Whats the skill? being able to administer extremely powerful drugs to a wide variety of patient types with varied medical histories with out killing them.

THOSE PICTURES ARE DISTURBING!

Even without specializing, tt’s hard to beat the pay and lifestyle of dentists. I almost went this route myself.

What do they call someone who failed med school? A dentist. From Seinfeld.

I am yet to meet a really happy dentist. The one makes descent money usually have their own office. They all tell me how stressful it is to keep the place profitable. And besides they have to do a lot of mudane things you finance guys would never have to do.

IronMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The elite finance jobs will always pay more than > any other career, except being an actor, model, > musician, or pro athlete. And I bet those that currently hold elite finance jobs didn’t have to study for the CFA, FRM or WSP to get there. Just goes to show you that hard work, good school, luck and connections is worth 95%. Holding designations is a minimal factor.

I have a bunch of dentists in the family. After one finished school, the practice he joined offered to pay the mortgage on a new house. That’s a nice benefit. The ones with specialties make so much money they don’t know what to do with it all. Apparently you have to have real good dexterity to work on the mouth. That and not minding to see the same thing day after day for the rest of your life.

MFE22 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am yet to meet a really happy dentist. The one > makes descent money usually have their own office. > They all tell me how stressful it is to keep the > place profitable. And besides they have to do a > lot of mudane things you finance guys would never > have to do. My orthodontist told me it was very hard to get solo and make a profit at first. He started right after dental school + orthodontic program; it took him quite a while to build up his name and get lots of patients. In his own words, “Lots of headaches when first starting”. I guess he makes lots of money currently, 8 years after he first started.

Anti-dentites!

i’d love to marry a dentist be it orthodontist or surgeon! reasonable hours + big bucks + two people in totally different fields make a better couple

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s how much a CEO makes on average… don’t > believe it. > > Do these figures take into factor stock > compensation and bonuses? > The real question is do the doctor numbers include liability in insurance.

IronMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Doctors make 6 figures after med school and > residency? How long does that take? Quite a > while. And meantime, they are in massive debt > when they get out that they need to pay down. > > Meanwhile, finance guys are saving money as soon > as they get out of undergrad. After 10 years, I’d > say the finance guy and doctor are pretty even. true, but the thing is that doctors know that they basically have job security for life (malpractice suits notwithstanding) and because of this, they tend to have the peace of mind about not having to “settle” so to speak. i think a lot of people in front-office finance do make pretty good salaries straight out of undergrad, but current events have definitely revealed that job security is far from a certain thing. i went out with a dermatologist for dinner last night, and even though she’s currently only getting a resident’s salary, she has no qualms whatsoever about being financially secure in long run. i guess you could say that i’m used to being viewed as the potential breadwinner in a relationship, but the level of self-confidence she had was pretty amazing (and actually not all that different from the other medical residents that i know). i don’t have too many reservations about my own situation (for the time being…but maybe that’s unfounded optimism); however, it’s pretty clear that there is a very different level of job security in finance vs. in the medical profession in the current state of the markets. curiously, IronMan, you bring up an interesting point about “savings,” namely that folks in finance have the opportunity to save coming straight out of undergrad. the problem is, many of them don’t because they think they are living the “high life” on wall street. in comparison, doctors have learned to make ends meet since college whilst living off a pittance of a salary. it’s certainly true that finance professionals, or anyone who enters the workforce straight from college, has the opportunity to earn income…but in the long run, given the spending habits of the average 20-something american, is the finance professional truly wealthier or better off than others? i don’t have a strong opinion about this either way, but it’s at least something to think about…

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What do they call someone who failed med school? > > > A dentist. > > > From Seinfeld. anti-dentite