16 Meaningless Market Phrases ..

This make you sound smart on CNBC…and AF too. http://www.businessinsider.com/meaningless-phrases-that-sound-smart-on-cnbc-2011-6#

Why is that Henry Blodget still on TV??

I’d like to add to this, but BI has already picked all the low-hanging fruit.

Funny, but I disagree that “cash on the sidelines” is a meaningless statement, especially if used with regard to fund flows.

Can I add “Win the Future”? I’m still trying to understand what “it’s a stock-picker’s market” means. I’ve heard some use it referring to trend following not working or periods of mean-reversion, but stock-picking could easily be just as profitable when markets are trending as when they are mean-reverting. I will argue that if you perform a PCA and the first few factors are explaining less of the variance than they were before, it is becoming more of a stock-picker’s market.

I interpret “it’s a stock picker’s market” to be a statement of the relative contributions of macro factors and company factors to overall volatility across the range of stocks. Basically, it’s about the degree of correlation of stocks with each other. When there is less correlation, stock picking has the potential to add more value. When things are highly correlated, it is still possible to do pairs trades and things like that, but the risk is higher because it usually requires more leverage to squeeze out the alpha, and if the high correlation changes, you can get whacked, which is extra bad if you have that leverage on.

I love the “Take a wait-and-see approach.” Basically saying you have no clue.

“arbitrage”

Stocks & Blondes Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I love the “Take a wait-and-see approach.” > Basically saying you have no clue. Not quite. It means you have no clue about the outcome, but you may have a clue about the risks. That’s an improvement over not having any clue about the risks.

mossy695 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > already picked > all the low-hanging fruit. This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title of the thread.

I’d like to add “It is what it is” to the list. I really hate that phrase. It makes you wonder when something “Isn’t what it is,” although AAA rated CDOs might qualify.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d like to add “It is what it is” to the list. I > really hate that phrase. > > It makes you wonder when something “Isn’t what it > is,” although AAA rated CDOs might qualify. this is an idiomatic expression/euphemism – a polite way of saying that something sucks (but there’s nothing you can do about it).

I also hate “it is what it is” for the same reasons bchad said. I get what it means, but it just seems like a really dumb way to say it.

Everything the MD says in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsRKaJPNDM

monger187 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I also hate “it is what it is” for the same > reasons bchad said. I get what it means, but it > just seems like a really dumb way to say it. i agree but what to do it is what it is

stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > stupid is as stupid does, I guess. huh what does this mean?

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > stupid is as stupid does, I guess. > > > huh what does this mean? it is what it is…

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “arbitrage” I see your “arbitrage” and raise you “risk-free arbitrage”

jmh530 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > justin88 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > “arbitrage” > > > I see your “arbitrage” and raise you “risk-free > arbitrage” I call with “risk arbitrage”