2008 exam (essay) is brutal

Just did 2008, hasn’t graded but quite a contrast to 2009’s I did two days ago. I didn’t actually finish on time, exceed by about 5-10 minutes. the first 4 questions took about 1.5 hours. The IPS question are severe, one question has 7 parts!! I wil be fainted if I saw in real exam there is a 7 part question. anyone know the passing rate for 2007-2009 for level 3. Hope the fact that 2008/2009 difference is not a turning around indication for 2010

2008 is also difficult? (like 2007)… sigh, there goes my weekend in depression, as I was planning to take it :expressionless:

2008 is a kick in the pants. Talked about it on another thread, but gave myself a little more than a 60 on it (I’m a hard grader, so that’s probably around a 70-75 in reality). Definitely a bear of a test, though - there weren’t nearly as many “gimmes” as there were on 2009.

Passing rates 2007 - 50% 2008 - 53% 2009 - 49% 2010 - 47-50%

why would 2009 has a low passing rate with easier essay? maybe the afternoon is harder.

I graded 2007 leniently and ended up with 61%. I nuked all the Individual/Insti IPS and when I saw the Attribution question with one table FULL of numbers (local, domestic, foreign, benchmark, manager wts…), I just had a mental fart.

Individual IPS was alright but institution was super tough. Also corner portfolio was kinda weird - why did they include Risk Free rate with optimal portfolio even though there was no info on shorting is allowed, Cash and Carry, Fixed Income on agency ratings and last question on hedging were decision-makers.

Irishgyy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > why would 2009 has a low passing rate with easier > essay? maybe the afternoon is harder. I hear afternoon was easier than AM so go figure. I think the reason is CFAI is now focusing on how not to dilute the designation value and going to pass fewer people compare to past. So be ready!

Can’t speak for everyone, but my morning was much better than my afternoon last year.

I have a friend who told me she thought she aced the morning section and had a bit more trouble with the PM but was VERY confident she’d pass, but ended up with a fail. go figure.

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have a friend who told me she thought she aced > the morning section and had a bit more trouble > with the PM but was VERY confident she’d pass, but > ended up with a fail. go figure. That actually sounds like the situation of a lot of retakers…most felt better coming out of the level three exam than the other two yet still failed. I am not going to enjoy the wait this summer for the results

can somebody send me the 2008/2009 essays or post the link to find them…i thought i had it but cant find it anymore thanks

CFAI website - under candidate resources