2010 texts with 2011 enotes?

So I can get the 2010 CFA texts for free if I want.  How different are they from 2011? I figure I can get the enotes from the cfai to save money. What do you think?

I’m not sure what you’re driving at? Paper copies of someone’s used 2010 CFA text and you register for an electronic version of 2011 CFA texts?

That said I registered for both. The electronic version is like browsing an Adobe pdf, with the possibility to use a coloured marker and make Notepad notes in the margin. The notes and marks can be synchronized with their server and shared with fellow-students, so called “friends”. One drawback is this: if you have a small computer screen you can’t enlarge the text to anything larger than than displaying the entire page width. A bit difficult to explain, what I’m trying to say is that you can’t enlarge the text, so if there’s some tiny print or footnote it’ll remain - - - tiny. I would have thought such prominent software would have offered the ability to zoom in on something interesting, like a formula or a picture, but no, there’s no such thing. I have the software on a portable very small laptop and then it’s a bit too tiny so I intend to use it only as a fall-back. The paper copies looks like they usually do, and weight as much.

k-calculi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m not sure what you’re driving at? Paper copies > of someone’s used 2010 CFA text and you register > for an electronic version of 2011 CFA texts? Yup

^^ I’d suggest you try the software first, before you decide. There are some “trial books” on VitalSource’s bookshelves that you can use. Do that and see how it works on your computer before you decide. If you don’t like the software, e.g. the fact that you can’t enlarge the text, the paper copies might be the better option. If you like the software, it has advantages: you can intall it on 2 computers and, on top of that, browse it in an ordinary web browser (e.g. if you’d need to take a sneak peek at the curriculum while you are at the office).

You can print right? My main interest is printing the eocs.

You can print 170 pages at a time. I haven’t tried

Why buy the electronic version when you will eventually print it out anyway? PS: the software to read the book is so bad I stopped using it after 2 days. Probably it’s just personal taste but I feel that the app is so sluggish. Hope they can come up with a snappier version on iPad

ozzie123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why buy the electronic version when you will > eventually print it out anyway? > > PS: the software to read the book is so bad I > stopped using it after 2 days. Probably it’s just > personal taste but I feel that the app is so > sluggish. Hope they can come up with a snappier > version on iPad I only wish to print the EOC Qs. Since I’m a Stalla rep for my b school, I’ll get a free package including a live course. So I’m planning on using the notes with the EOCs as a supplement.

You can cut out the EOC from the printed copy…

So guys should we buy the books or s/w? Pls advise

Quant, Are you taking Level 2 again? I took 2010 off after bombing Level 2 in 2009. I am thinking about taking it again this year.

beingthatguy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Quant, > > Are you taking Level 2 again? I took 2010 off > after bombing Level 2 in 2009. > > I am thinking about taking it again this year. I sure am. I bombed the sht out of it in 09. I’m hoping I’ll nail it down this time.