2011 Books

LII re-taker here, got my books today, different covers, and 3.5lbs lighter than last year, but the books don’t look it.

That’s curious? 3.5 pounds lighter? I wonder why.

I wouldn’t get to excited about the 3.5lbs lighter, probably juts less appendices and optional readings

lighter sheets?

kevlar?

EastCoastJ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s curious? 3.5 pounds lighter? I wonder why. …are you not happy? -:0) I got my books yesterday, but I have issue downloading the ebooks, same challenge I had with the level 2 ebooks early this year. I have sent email, but no response since 6days!

Oal29 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > EastCoastJ Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > That’s curious? 3.5 pounds lighter? I wonder > why. > > > …are you not happy? -:0) I got my books > yesterday, but I have issue downloading the > ebooks, same challenge I had with the level 2 > ebooks early this year. > > I have sent email, but no response since 6days! May be EastCoast was disappointed because he paid the same price for the printed books, but now 3.5 lb lighter, so more expensive on a per-unit pound basis. Really, poor customer service for ebook? No response for 6 days is really slow. Do they have a phone number you can call to drill them? I am thinking about the ebook too, so keep us posted if they ever respond to you, and how do they resolve your issue.

it took me about 16 hrs to download the 6 volumes of ebook.

veggiebun Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it took me about 16 hrs to download the 6 volumes > of ebook. that is long … i assume you used high speed broadband, and still took you 16 hrs to download. Do the download software support resume download after disconnected or reboot? Is it one big file to download or they break it up into many smaller files by volume or by study session? How is the image quality/resolution of the ebook? Overall, do you recommend the ebook over the printed books (beside cheaper price)?

yes, high speed broadband… i made sure it my laptop where turned on all the time (using power charger) to prevent it from being disconnected. The size of each volume varies from 131MB to 450MB. I actually find that the text are quite blurry. Wish they had better resolution. I prefer using ebook as I do not like lugging heavy textbooks around. It’s easy to access the ebook anywhere and get your notes and highlights synchronized. Besides, I read that Vitalsource will be releasing a full software version for iPad and iPhone. I intend to try reading on iPhone.

16 hrs include download vitalsource software right? That software takes a while to download.

Hello, I just want to add that it took me only 20 minutes to download both the VitalSource programe and the ebooks. My biggest gripe with VitalSource is that the software (the ebook files are also huge) uses up a lot of memory. I wouldn’t consider my laptop old (bought in 2009), not the most expensive, not the cheapes, overal it’s a good quality laptop. However, when I use VitalSource, it slows down all other programs. I can only have a few programs open. Additionaly, if I try to print to .pdf the program stalls and sometimes crashes. BTW printing to pdf is useless as the resulting .pdf is too small and blury to be useful. All in all, I don’t think the ebook version of these books are a good product. The biggest problem is that they can’t be used on handheld ebook readers. However, it’s good to have access to read the text online while at work. I don’t have to lug the text books around (just a laptop!)! Cheers

Hi All, I was wondering whether it is necessary to buy CFAI books again? Are there many new topics? Is there anybody who will study from last year curriculum?

Very good question sabas22…anyone??? :slight_smile: sabas22 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi All, > > I was wondering whether it is necessary to buy > CFAI books again? Are there many new topics? > > Is there anybody who will study from last year > curriculum?

I’m not sure of accuracy, but here are some details of changes : http://www.finquiz.com/cfa_level_2_curriculum_changes_2010_2011 I haven’t sat level 2 yet, but considering using 2011 CFA books, supplemented with schweser 2010 material (picked up second hand)

Vid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m not sure of accuracy, but here are some > details of changes : > > http://www.finquiz.com/cfa_level_2_curriculum_chan > ges_2010_2011 > > I haven’t sat level 2 yet, but considering using > 2011 CFA books, supplemented with schweser 2010 > material (picked up second hand) I plan on doing the exact same thing! I did this for level I and I found schweser to be very helpful… The only differences that make me worry is for FRA since accounting rules may have changed in the curriculum (not sure though)… I’m going to focus solely on the CFAI books until very close to exam date then switch to Schweser for a great re-read on all the major areas… Although, my friend sent me 2010 schweser for level II but only the Electronic Version… I’m hoping I can find the books instead overall, CFAI books are guaranteed to be the best study tool IF YOU HAVE THE TIME for it… Since the majority of level II I have already studied in the Master of Finance program, I’m hoping I can just skim through it and review in depth. (and focus on the formulas) I’ll be working full-time (40, 45 hours a week)… and plan on starting to study in January… given my background, do you think it’ll be enough… i.e. studying 15 hours a week give or take for the 5 months…guaranteeing around 300 hours total

Blimey !! Just what we needed… 2 more chapters in FRA ! The journey just seems to get more and more difficult…

I have still used the last year printed curriculum and the ebook this year, try to enjoy both. there’s a new topic: SS5 inventories and long-lived assets

The software is only 12MB, it is downloaded fast and installed in a second. Now I am downloading books, 3 hours for the first half of the first book, 200MB and really slow.

also note that the chapter on Dividends in Corp fin is a brand new reading, replacing reading and LOS from 2010.