2018 Ideas

#failed.

Got some HBI at 21.82, small position.

Not seeing anything great at the moment… been taking a beating these last few days.

FIZZ

GE might leave the Dow BS. Where you @ brother?

Saw that, we’ll see.

Picked up WATT on the recent dip. Recently got FCC approval for their zero contact wireless charging. Looks promising but we’ll see.

Adding A Rated UPS at 3.48% indicated dividend yield and 21% discount since 1/26

Same author, I’m calling it a bottom…

Yah heard it here first guys. I recognize they’re still lagging S&P but in two quarters these names will be white hot. For what its worth, avoid AKS, I’ve since cooled on that name given its price neutral strategy.

On GE, what do you all think of Nelson Peltz’s involvement? He’s expressed concerns about this type of opacity from pre-GFC days.

Originally his white papers were for a turnaround largely keeping the company intact. I’m interested in what they do here. For me, I see this insurance charge as now behind them with better transparency (and they’re now shrinking the finance arm further), long term service agreements have now been placed under better accounting (with last year’s restatement) and restructuring is well underway. At this point I’m just buying based on my own views regarding underlying asset values.

One thing that I think is interesting is that Buffett wants a major deal and has gobs of cash. GE has great industrial assets and would be a marquee name in the portfolio and BRK has the finance chops to in-house the entire finance arm there and A) manage the problem while B) creating major synergies. They’ve owned it before but now its at a better price so I’m really intrigued that they might end up taking a big swing at this.

This is quite funny. Reminds me of the pitch books predicting $200 oil that energy guys were running around with in July 2008…only the opposite.

GE is just tough to analyze.

mortgage insurers took a hit with the FNMA/ACGL news. i still think they are great businesses.

would love to pick up ESNT NMIH. anyone else looked into these?

Tempted to add GE at today’s price.

Seems to be a popular idea, several of my friends have been loading up at $12 and $13 range.

are you calling a bottom>!?!!>!>!

Yes, although I bought my largest chunk at $15.05 as a disclaimer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-27/ge-jumps-most-in-two-years-on-speculation-of-buffett-investment

General Electric Co. jumped the most in two years amid speculation that Warren Buffett will buy a stake in the beleaguered manufacturer.

Yes, good call. However, I own some from a week or two ago in the $14s and am still at a loss. I’m a long-term investor, but this is getting to be a bit much. I’ve already bled 5% even after today, not sure how much more I can take :stuck_out_tongue:

would buffet just get the preferreds and a bunch of warrants instead of equity