2019 5th Avenue Mile

I just registered today for the 2019 5th Avenue Mile. Hoping for a 4:59 on Sept 8 2019 on the mile. Also, doing a Half Iron a few weeks later on Sept 29 in Augusta. Hoping for a 4:59 on the half iron. 4:XX all month baby!!! I’m about 190lbs and pretty fast right now, but probably only 5:10 fast (for the mile) … I still feel I need to sharpen up in sprinting before 5th avenue. For the Half Iron, I feel like I’m there alrerady… I currently have no injuries (wtfffff omggggg riiiight)…

I’ve kind of been leaning towards racing in Flyknit Racers. I’m not sure I want to run in Vaporfly 4%'s. They are great shoes, but like them better for long races.

My nutrition and workouts are not what I would have thought they would be to attempt to break 5 again in the mile. I pretty much eat whatever I want in moderation, which at times comes to 5000, 6000+ calorie days with a large base of chocolate, ice cream, bread, starches (cheese its, pringles, pretzels). I am often struggling to eat enough calories and recently have picked up drinking more Coca Cola, which seems nice and helps to get in some more calories.

I seem to have a keen strength training heavy and long endurance and will try to train like this similar to last year, but hopefully with a running regimen that doesn’t destroy my knees this time. I usually apply too much too fast in running training and then get all into it and shit and run all the time until my body tears apart. I have to be more logical about that this year and have observed the positive affects of proper rest and think that will be the key to my success this year. I can do crazy workouts and shit for days or weeks, but my rest (training) was lacking last year and think that will push me to sub 5 this year.

I’m registered. Close call as to whether I’ll be able to break 6 this year. If so it will literally be in the 5:58-5:59 range. I also signed my kids up for the kids race.

Mid-year update:

Mile target: about a 50/50 shot of hitting my sub-6 goal

5K target: no chance. I’ll probably be able to go sub-7:30 though, which is a slight improvement over last year’s 7:40.

Half marathon target: no chance. Will probably get down to 8:15ish pace by the end of the year.

Marathon target: in training now with sub-4 still a realistic goal

[video:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnpy3cC673o]

Ace is back. Itssss littttt

I will be stalking from afar. Go Ace and IHHM!!! Glad you two are keeping the AF 5th Ave Mile tradition going. Make water cooler proud! I can’t make it this year due to budget constraints… but the good news is it is because I spent all my money to go to Western Australia to race an Ironman in December! Yea!

thx for the support KMD - you’re a rockstar

I’m drinking so much champagne - damn … gotta run it off 196lbs today

197+ lbs today … damn … I really want to be at 185lbs by 9/1/19

The Great Cadence Debate

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20822244/the-great-cadence-debate/?_gl=1*1olzi8x*_ga*YW1wLVV5X241b2cwTHM0MThtdWowT0dnb1NUaEhfblRsdEtwdHdTbVk2QkNhdGx5bVZCOGFfaC1uV3l2dFVqM3NoYW4.

‘well trained college runners’ hit 196SPM for a 4:58 pace

I was working on my stride and cadence yesterday (treadmill) doing 20x Intervals 30 sec on off at 11.4mph, 2.5 grade (~180SPM)

I am still at 195lbs, but as I’m cutting this week I hope to increase SPM to 190-200 which I think I’ll need the last 100m at least. I’m still unsure if I’m going to bonk this run with a 5:30 or worse. I was a wildcard last year and am a bit of the same this year.

A week ago I cycled 400mi to train/cut, but I’m so efficient on the bike now that it wasn’t a tremendous workout for me (HR was relatively low).

Im not injured, so will still try to get some good speedwork in this week.

It’s my mom’s birthday on the 8th. It would be oh so sweet if you put in a stellar time, seeing as how it’s one of those “ending in a 5 or 0” birthdays.

No pressure. We’re all counting on you!

Cadence is something I have been watching for the first time this year. I find I do naturally tend to float to 180 from paces of 7min to 8:30/ mile. Today I did a tempo at 6:30 pace and I was at about 184. I took at look at my last track workout… 800s at 5:35 pace… the cadence was about 200 for those!

I think plyometrics and hard track intervals help strengthen power and therefore length of stride. Then, when I am doing tempo efforts and longer distance race paces, I let that well developed strength do it’s thing with stride length and think in my head “RELAX and keep the cadence UP” I get really great results!

Good stuff to think about ACE :grin:. I imagine you have the strength for optimal stride length so getting that cadence up is a good move.

So good news, I finally achieved one of my lifelong goals of running a sub-6 min mile! Thanks to everyone here who supported me and helped me through my training these last couple years. Also ACE- I managed to get a brief video clip of you in your race around the half mile mark. Let me know if you want me to post it or send it to you.

Nice job! I feel like I didn’t put out enough in that race. I’m cool if you post it. How did you feel in your race - did you have clean lines to take in your run?