2019 5th Avenue Mile

Congrats! Make sure you keep it up. I ran a 5:12 5th Ave Mile in 2014 (I was running a lot at the time)…fast forward 5 years, married with 2 kids on the way, +40lbs, and I think I’d struggle to break 8mins these days!

nah, you got it in you dude. One mile is honestly not too far at all. And an 8 minute mile is basically speed walking.

[video:https://ia601401.us.archive.org/13/items/img5010_201909/IMG_5010.MOV align:center autoplay:1]

I can’t figure out how to embed a video here so I just pasted the link below. I think I pointed the right person out but let me know if I didn’t.

https://ia601401.us.archive.org/13/items/img5010_201909/IMG_5010.MOV

I’m now very intrigued. this is an annual 1 mile race? They all look like they’re jogging.

That group of runners crossed the half mile mark around 2:30-2:45 which means they were running about 5-5:30 pace for the full mile. Re: ACE’s question, it was a sh!tshow getting into the corral since everyone wanted to be in the front and we all tried to squeeze into a tight space. I managed to end up about 3-4 rows back and talking to the people around me I realized we were all aiming for sub-6, so I was in the right group. Once the gun went off everyone in front of me zoomed ahead and everyone around me went at my pace so it was all good. I ran down the left side because a) it was pretty clear and b) my family was on that side cheering for me. I ran pretty even pacing for the quarters. First quarter was a little fast but the remaining three I was right around 90 second pace so I came in a few seconds under 6:00 which was great.

i’ve met ace. dude with headphones. you’ve gotten in real good shape man! haha 8 minute mile is not speed walking. more like 75% jogging and 25% walking. i know cuz that’s my usual time. lol

Year-end update:

Mile (sub-6): CHECK

5K (sub-7 min/mile pace): Nope, although I did run a 7:30 pace 10K on a tough course so that probably translates into low-7s for a 5K.

Half marathon (sub-8 min/mile pace): Nope. Best I did was around 8:15 pace during a training run which is about where I thought I would end up as noted above.

Marathon (sub 4 hours): CHECK

So I accomplished two of my 4 goals for the year which I’m happy with. I ran the NYC Marathon almost two months ago and it was a great experience but I’ve only run a handful of times since and don’t miss running so I’m not sure if I’ll ever get back to it at this point. If I do find the motivation to get back to running 40+ miles a week, my 2020 goals would look something like:

Mile: sub-5:30

5K: sub-20 minutes (i.e. sub-6:30 pace)

10K: sub-7 min/mile pace

Half marathon: sub-1:40

It’s hard to keep up. I ran a 3:14 marathon, 1:26 half, 18 min 5k, 38 10k, all in the space of 3 years around 2010-2013, starting from not being able to run a 5k without stopping. I went from being very unfit, to getting really seriously into running, and then just falling out of it and never getting back into it, and I think that’s a common story. I knew a lot of people who discovered real training and running, and burn our after a few years. The guys I knew who kept it up either had a background in running at college or whatever, or didn’t really try and improve and just enjoyed running. You get to this point where you plateau, and the extra effort doesn’t seem worth it. I was regularly running 30-60 miles a well for a few years, so to move into the next bracket (sub 3 marathon etc), I would have had to dedicate even more time, been more strict with diet, just to beat personal goals, and yet if I wasn’t constantly improving, I’d lose interest, which is exactly what happened