303 days to level II 2009

: ) - i already cracked the books open, couldnt wait. quant looks nasty, what the hell is econ, equity manageable. i like how FSA is smaller book. i like the focus on earnings fraud and the consolidation. i wondered why it was not on level I. i am building huge pro formas all day and this level II stuff will help with industry sizing and consolidation post m and a. love it!!! going to dinner and crushing about 4 natty light then hitting books tonight. PS - i will keep drivel posts like this to a minimum, but after 8/19 it is fair game and i will go nuts.

i like how excited you are right now. i think you should turn it up a notch though.

Dude…

yeah i took a couple days off work this week so i could get three 8 hours days of studying in to get my bearings. I have already gone over all the material in the CFAI books and plan on taking some mock exams. i will hit 3.5 hours for the next 250 days and then took the month and a half off before the exam for full 8 hr study days.

Is Daj serious or is this a joke post??

i am serious, i knew you guys would despise me, but i have to ay it down. i am 29. that means i will have charter by 31 at the earliest. that bothers me. going to eat kung pao now then maybe a dumb movie like will ferrell, but net net, i have already cracked the books open and i will absolutely murder level II. i have too much on the line. i set goals up and i knock em down. in my world, people are making millions and 1-3 years out of undergrad. we need to all step up our game. i have no kids, no mortgage, 29, healthy, and looking for my dream job. now is the time to decimate the CFA. not when i am in mid 30s and busy with distractors like little kids and a wife that will pull me away from my excel. sorry to be blunt. but it is a serious post. of course, some sarcasm tossed in (a must, i am liberal arts undergrad)…bottm line, start early newbies. to guys who will see d day on the 19th, good luck.

You guys are crazy… way too early to start studying for Level II. I started in February and had plenty of time. You wont remember the stuff if you study it now – there is really very little point. At least wait until December/January. Otherwise you are just wasting your time.

so let me get this straight- you’re 29, have no mortgage, drink natty lite, watch will farrell movies, think that wives are there to “pull (you) away from excel”, study on friday nights when the test is a year out, and need a strong ritalin/aderol perscription? to quote a now living legend: take a report, YOU’RE DONE

chadtap Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude… exactly. dude.

I’m not as gung ho as daj, but I too will start reading this weekend.

daj, you are obviously going to kill level 2. but what is the trade off of enjoying life to studying? hmmmmm… would you rather enjoy your life, spend time with family and friends and pass CFA in 5 years or study hard and have no life for 3?

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i am serious, i knew you guys would despise me, > but i have to ay it down. i am 29. that means i > will have charter by 31 at the earliest. that > bothers me. > > going to eat kung pao now then maybe a dumb movie > like will ferrell, but net net, i have already > cracked the books open and i will absolutely > murder level II. > > i have too much on the line. i set goals up and i > knock em down. in my world, people are making > millions and 1-3 years out of undergrad. we need > to all step up our game. > > i have no kids, no mortgage, 29, healthy, and > looking for my dream job. now is the time to > decimate the CFA. not when i am in mid 30s and > busy with distractors like little kids and a wife > that will pull me away from my excel. sorry to be > blunt. but it is a serious post. of course, some > sarcasm tossed in (a must, i am liberal arts > undergrad)…bottm line, start early newbies. > > to guys who will see d day on the 19th, good luck. I’m 29, and I started studying for level 2 in February, and can honestly say that an extra 6 months wouldn’t have done me enough good to make starting that early worthwhile. Go enjoy life. Seriously. This is ridiculous.

Chill, Man. There’s plenty of time. I don’t necessarily agree with those that say that starting early will cause you to forget things. If you know it, you know it. But starting in September (or even October) is plenty of time. Enjoy the summer, work out daily, enjoy the Olympics, and get yourself a woman (sounds like you could REALLY benefit form one), And I mean REALLY.

I can understand daj224’s reasoning. Basically, he wants to increase the pass probability to ~100% and is ready/willing to pay the larger marginal effort required for relatively smaller marginal pass probability past the optimal point…more so than your average bear.

Daj , man … you need to relax , 29 aint no problem … see, knowledge is a great wealth and its doesnt matter how old you are… just keep the good work up, and btw you are preparing for CAIA L1 Nov, right ? so here you go, you will keep a good pace in CBOK. for me, I’m 26 no different than you (3 years no big diff), Masters in Commerce (Banking & Finance specialization) from Queensland Australia, passed L1 on first attemp. Now planning to register for Mar CAIA L1, i wanted to register for CIPM but after your motivation for the CAIA, I will prepare for CFA L2 till end Nov, hit CAIA books till mar exam, then carry on with CFA L2. I feel its crazy to jump back and forth CFA and CAIA but what do you think guys ?

nimrod_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > for me, I’m 26 no different than you (3 years no > big diff), Masters in Commerce (Banking & Finance > specialization) from Queensland Australia, passed > L1 on first attemp. Now planning to register for > Mar CAIA L1, i wanted to register for CIPM but > after your motivation for the CAIA, I will prepare > for CFA L2 till end Nov, hit CAIA books till mar > exam, then carry on with CFA L2. > I feel its crazy to jump back and forth CFA and > CAIA but what do you think guys ? thanks for support man. I will be going b/t CFA and CAIA, too. could be weird, but as i looked at the alternative investment section of CFA level 2 today, i realized there is some decent overlap with CAIA level I, so no worries

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nimrod_CFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > > > for me, I’m 26 no different than you (3 years > no > > big diff), Masters in Commerce (Banking & > Finance > > specialization) from Queensland Australia, > passed > > L1 on first attemp. Now planning to register > for > > Mar CAIA L1, i wanted to register for CIPM but > > after your motivation for the CAIA, I will > prepare > > for CFA L2 till end Nov, hit CAIA books till > mar > > exam, then carry on with CFA L2. > > I feel its crazy to jump back and forth CFA and > > CAIA but what do you think guys ? > > > thanks for support man. I will be going b/t CFA > and CAIA, too. could be weird, but as i looked at > the alternative investment section of CFA level 2 > today, i realized there is some decent overlap > with CAIA level I, so no worries Thanks chief… I’ll be getting my CFAI books today , I will have a look into them too

CAFicionado Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I can understand daj224’s reasoning. > > Basically, he wants to increase the pass > probability to ~100% and is ready/willing to pay > the larger marginal effort required for relatively > smaller marginal pass probability past the optimal > point…more so than your average bear. thanks. that is exactly my point, except you stated it MUCH more elegantly.

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i am serious, i knew you guys would despise me, > dude

I’ll Have to agree with Daj, me too have some extra time these coming weeks, so I too will be starting my L2 readings. I don’t think it is a waste of time since, just like someone put it, it is a matter of understanding the material more that remembering it, so when we are in march or even may, i won’t have to go through it again (at least not that much). And we all have very demanding jobs on the side (I am in M&A…), you all get how hard it is to free up time for this program, i can’t even say for sure i’ll study on week ends, since i might well be at work then too. I have tome NOW so hey… why not. any way good work everyone. And I wish you well on aug 19th.