33 years is the happiest age

The turning point in my life in terms of happiness was when I got my first blowj0b. Although I would categorize BJs as Type A) amateur: a chick who has good intentions and makes an effort to please her man but just doesn’t really know the proper BJ technique (not enough depth, too brief, etc), and Type B) the seasoned BJer: a chick who can cover at least 75% of the “target area” keeping her stride. So anyone in his late 40s looking for the meaning of his own existence should look no further and get a Type B championship BJob. Yeeeaaah!

Duh, and they say happiness is subjective. Lie of the millennium.

If you’re doing it right, I think every say 3-5 year rolling period should be happier on average than the previous 3-5 (accounting for shorter term investments in the future that make the near term unhappy, like the CFA program). I look back on HS/College and can easily pull out the “unhappy” situations or events but have to struggle to remember what was good/satisfying about those times.

sex is so overrated…getting your first BJ was impressive in as far as it actually happened…but with sex comes a whole bunch of other problems…nothing in this world is free except annual reports…

I’m chalking the “high school and college were just okay” view up to the fact that there are a bunch of superb achievers on this forum that may have had a more stressful existence in school. My high school and college years were so much better than adulthood I can’t even begin to draw an accurate comparison. Granted, my GPA blew chunks, but I got to work out for a couple hours each day, party hard 4+ nights a week, constantly do road trips and random adventures with my friends, got to be in a band, had zero stress or responsibilities, could hang out until the sun came up every night, would wake up every day to my phone blowing up with people wondering what was on the docket, and got to deal with constant new female attention from girls that didn’t even know what celullite was yet due to the expanded social circle resulting from classes and such. It’s actually depressing how boring adult life is for me.

Edit: Just thought of more…

Plus there was the ability to spend every sunny day outside just lounging around with friends. Sports were fun, I miss being able to compete at the state level for track and having exciting competitions coming up that actually felt like they meant something. Plus training outside in warm evenings and generally feeling young and healthy was awesome. Not to mention spending time in between events flirting with other young in shape girls.

Ooooh man, I’m depressing the crap out of myself now. Being the young crazy boyfriend was so much more fun than the adult equivalent of the guy girls “settle down with”.

if there are no reliable trends in asset prices why expect them to be in life?

Because assets can’t learn to live more effectively, and people can.

But there are reliable trends in life. You are born, go to school, and then college (if you are lucky), work, pay taxes, get married, have kids, get old, die. Almost everyone goes through the same cycle.

You guys are depressing me.

Yea if I was in some pre-life stage and heard this, I’d do everything I can to not be born

the same cycle maybe, but surely there is enough variation in each phase across each individual, attributable to some combination of controllable/uncontraolable circumstances, that would render any attempt to generalise a life an exercise in tragedy.

–Shakespeare*

*citations needed

Alladin, lay off the pipe if you’re going to post on here.

You’re depressing the crap out of me because I wish my college experience even resembled yours.

Anyway, it’s a gorgeous 80 something degrees here today and as I was driving to the airport I wondered how nice it would be to just chuck it all, live off of dividends, drive a convertible, and relax by a pool all day. F this work stuff…

i used to think life sucks…but as life slowly moved on, i realize that life does suck for a lot of people, but not necessarily for me…if you’re taking the CFA and in finance, chances are you had a pretty decent roll in life…life has gotten better over time and i hope it gets better…

you guys need to appreciate the goodness and remember that one day, you will work your 60+ hours/week for free…

ain’t no sunshine when shes gone…aint no sunshine when shees goone…and this house just ain’t no home anytime she goes away…

Ditto man, would be nice to ditch the responsibilities for a bit. Especially when the weather’s nice… we’re only young once.

All that fun came at a cost in undergrad though, I had to work my butt off after graduation to build a half decent career following my dismal academic performance, still playing catchup. Glad I did it though.

Highschool was dope, I paid a pretty heavy price for the fun I had then and in university in my mid twenties.

At 29 I have to say life is pretty damn sweet even though I dont have much materially the benefit of maturity, emotional and otherwise is pretty significant. I wouldve made different choices if I expected to live this long though. Hahaha.

You didn’t expect to live to 29??

But you were fine when they got knocked out in 2006, 1998, etc?

That’s how I make myself feel better. Not only do I have a good job, but I make more $ than most people my age, have no debt, and overall have nothing standing in my way. I can’t imagine being poor, unemployed, and having no reasonable long term chance of success.

Funny 2006 doesn’t stand out in my mind for some reason (Alzheimer’s?), but I actually think it might have been worse then. Oh wait, I was living way out in Jersey, and my girlfriend at the time wanted to keep me away from anything Brazilian, so I didn’t even watch the games.

1998 wasn’t so bad because it was in the finals and it was a good game. I was bummed that they didn’t win, but I guess I thought France didn’t do a bad job, and they were surprisingly un-French in their celebratory graciousness.

I’m not a huge sports fan: my policy is simply to root for the team I want to party with in case they win. In soccer/football, that’s almost always Brazil.