40/60/80: 73% fail, is it worth retabulation?

Sounds like failing two sections is what makes you not pass.

Seira, in your case, you didn’t get above 70% in either of the two biggest sections, and only got above 70% in 2 of the 4 second largest sections. Then, you failed 2 out of the 4 smallest sections. Its horrible, but I don’t believe those scores indicate a pass. Oncfa, those scores ABSOLUTELY look like a pass and I think the $100 is totally worth it. Irrespective of whether or not it works, which it wont, you are in a position where one question could make the difference and if I told you that $100 would buy you the CHANCE at having one question overturned in your favor, I’d think you should pay that money.

there has also been talk in this forum ( and substantiated with an old link to CFAI minutes) that if a candidate is on the “cut line” i.e., has the minimum passing score, but fails Ethics, like ONCFA08 seems to have done, there is a 1 point deduction and thus that candidate will now have a failing grade…this too is a possibility. The hard truth, ONCFA08, is you need to put this behind you, and knuckle down for Jun 09…you clearly have what it takes to pass these exams. Get loaded for a few weeks, and then go for it. And I am sure you are younger than my 43 years, so if it is any consolation, you will be getting your charter long before I will chronologically, and will thus reap the financial benefits for a longer period of your life. All the best…

That certaily LOOKS like a pass, but as has been illustrated here and many other places, 40/60/80 is VERY approximate. Actual scores can vary widely. You could realistically have all asteriks in the >70 column and still only have an actual mark in the low 70s for example. However, the odds are that you did not miss it by much. Given that, a retab is compelling, especially if you erased a few answers. Either way, you must be close and at the very worst you will kill it next year.

I’d definintely do the regrade…you already put in ~$1600 or so, might as well be sure. Using the manuhack minimum with oncfa’s score, shows minimum score 64.2%, meaning MPS was higher than that since s/he failed with at least 64.2%.

Question: I have erased and re-marked at least 10 questions, you are saying that the grading is counting the mistaken choices or it is ignoring the answers seeing them having two choices ticked?

caspian Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Seira, in your case, you didn’t get above 70% in > either of the two biggest sections, and only got > above 70% in 2 of the 4 second largest sections. > Then, you failed 2 out of the 4 smallest > sections. > > Its horrible, but I don’t believe those scores > indicate a pass. > > > Oncfa, those scores ABSOLUTELY look like a pass > and I think the $100 is totally worth it. > Irrespective of whether or not it works, which it > wont, you are in a position where one question > could make the difference and if I told you that > $100 would buy you the CHANCE at having one > question overturned in your favor, I’d think you > should pay that money. It probably came down to ethics. He could be one under the MPS and didn’t get the boost to pass because he didn’t do well on ethics.

You BOMBED AI and Econ. You cannot do this and expect to pass.

i was in band 10 with the below results, sent my $100 in just to sleep easy - Alternative Investments 18 - *- - Corporate Finance 36 -*- - Derivatives 36 -*- - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 72 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 72 - -* - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 -*- - Quantitative Methods 18 - - *

hey , retabulation might help, i had similar score bands last year and failed whereas i was sure to pass, but regretted a lot when somebody passed after a retab. This year as per 40/60/80 my score is 62% but i pass, last year it was 65% and i failed. So i really dont believe that anybody can crack their scoring style…

Hi rasharma, are u serious that someone can change the result after retab as there are so many people said there is no one ever success?

My understanding of the way this works is - CFAI looks at top scoring papers - possibly tosses out certain questions that no one was able to get right - based on top scores, determines an automatic passing score and a minimum passing score around 70% of top grades - if you hit the automatic passing score, you pass - if you are above the MPS, below the automatic passing score AND you pass ethics, your paper is reviewed by staff. I’m unclear on what the review process is exactly, but presumably if you pass stuff like FSA and Equity and get zero on alternatives you will probably pass. However if you flunk ethics you’re done. So if you’re 50-70 in ethics that may have been the problem. If I’m wrong on this process please let me know. In any event I wouldn’t want to take Level II without a strong grasp of the process - and good prep in ethics.

rasharma Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hey , retabulation might help, i had similar score > bands last year and failed whereas i was sure to > pass, but regretted a lot when somebody passed > after a retab. This year as per 40/60/80 my score > is 62% but i pass, last year it was 65% and i > failed. So i really dont believe that anybody can > crack their scoring style… Someone passed with a retab??? First ever??? More detail required methinks…

I def would - your scores are better than mine and I passed.