46% pass rate on Level 1

20 years from now you will have to decide whether to use the scwesher or stalla brain implant that has 4000 questions downloadable to your memory. cfa will have to get clever to keep above the technology curve

mpnoonan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.youtube.com/user/huongz I am sure Huongz (dunno how to pronounce that one…) wanna kill you now for trespassing and violating his privacy :slight_smile:

Although the three-for-three in 2.5 years comments always seem gratuitous, what I think Huongz was really getting at is that wide swings in the pass rate are a bad thing, regardless of the level, and the Level 1 pass rates this time are a huge jump up. Of course, there could be a number of reasons for this, but if the number of candidates was the same, then you have to conclude that CFA relaxed its standards. It really seems like CFA has a quality control problem with its results (Level 3 at 76% in 2006 and 50% in 2007 is my favorite ridiculous example). You don’t want to feel like you took the test in a lucky or unlucky year—it would be a shame if people started saying, “well he passed in 20XX when the pass rates were 40%, but she only could do it in 20YY when it jumped to 65%.” If you have the misfortune of taking the test in a tough year and lose a year of career progress as a result, you don’t want to have the feeling that you just suffered through that experience because of bad timing.

To be fair, I think there are a lot of people unemployed and they are taking the exam because the state governments are paying for the exam (and the material etc). Plus they probably have more time to study when comparing with people who are still employed. The passing rate may seem high but I think we need to factor these in.

Mr. Tambourine Man Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Although the three-for-three in 2.5 years comments > always seem gratuitous, what I think Huongz was > really getting at is that wide swings in the pass > rate are a bad thing, regardless of the level, and > the Level 1 pass rates this time are a huge jump > up. Of course, there could be a number of reasons > for this, but if the number of candidates was the > same, then you have to conclude that CFA relaxed > its standards. It really seems like CFA has a > quality control problem with its results (Level 3 > at 76% in 2006 and 50% in 2007 is my favorite > ridiculous example). You don’t want to feel like > you took the test in a lucky or unlucky year—it > would be a shame if people started saying, “well > he passed in 20XX when the pass rates were 40%, > but she only could do it in 20YY when it jumped to > 65%.” If you have the misfortune of taking the > test in a tough year and lose a year of career > progress as a result, you don’t want to have the > feeling that you just suffered through that > experience because of bad timing. I think the swings have more to do with the proportion of retakers than quality control.

Huongz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I went thru the program in 2.5 years (Dec '06, > June '07, and June '08). The pass rate on all 3 > were 35%*40%*50 = roughly 7/100 make it thru > without fail. > > If these rates hold up, more like 20/100 will make > it thru. This is bull. Is that really in the youtube video? Dude, you really ugly:-) I guess you have no woman and kids. You scary man!

Some of you are brutal. Most probably, I will fail LIII this time. But if I do not, I will remember not to mention the 1.5 year thing:-)

I’ve gotten to the point in this thing that I no longer care what the pass rate is so long as I pass the exam.

FastEd Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve gotten to the point in this thing that I no > longer care what the pass rate is so long as I > pass the exam. exactly.

CFASF1 - I saw you got into some kind a smack down with another poster (someone that I had never seen post before). Looked a little heated, but hopefully all is well.

Sometimes sf “brings the wood”.

ah… all’s well fasted. it was my fault. i got all fired up over nothing because i was in super sensitive mode after L1 results came out yesterday… time to focus back on my golf game because i also had a crappy round after a lesson this past weekend.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sometimes sf “brings the wood”. once a year, mwvt, lol. specifically a few weeks before results come out. i need to control myself.

To clarify: bring the wood v. phr. in American football, to play or tackle with extra force or violence. Subjects: English, United States, Football, Sports & Recreation Etymological Note: This term appears to have originated the University of Nebraska. Citations: 1986 Lee Barfknecht Omaha World-Herald (Neb.) (Dec. 28) “Thomas’ Talk Is Music to NU”: LSU expects to get hit, and I won’t disappoint. I will bring the wood. If I don’t get blocked, bring out the stretcher because somebody’s going to need it.

And you read such stuff??

R24X7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And you read such stuff?? Is this directed at me?

“you talking to me?” bring the wood, mwvt. bring it.

wow this thread is so full of emotions, boys really are similar to girls, the drama is just a bit different. it’s cute tho ;0)

Level 1 pass rates in '06 and '07 reached 40%. Is an extra six percentage points ludicrous? Ten years ago the Level I pass rate was 64%. I failed Level 2 when the pass rate was 32%, and failed Level 3 on first attempt when the pass rate was 76%. If this year’s test was too soft, then a lot of unsuspecting candidates could be stepping into CFA program purgatory. I’ve been to this purgatory and if feels like “It’s gonna be cold, it’s gonna be grey, and it’s gonna last you for the rest of your life.” Bill Murray, Groundhog Day.

the problem with 3 choices are, it is way more difficult to differentiate candidates who are marginally good and marginally bad… which are majority of those who wrote the exam… i think majority of AFer deserved to pass, as you guys are probably better than just marginally good, CFA probably can’t differentiate the marginally good and marginally bad ones, and do not want to discourage those deserving by failing them (avoiding Type II error), therefore, letting them pass altogether.