5th Avenue Mile Training Thread (BS, where you at fool!)

6:20 mile zero training. I’m just a blessed athlete. You think I can get it to 5:40 in a month

are you doing the 5th ave mile this year?

dont worry pa you were missed too when you dipped

I can tell KMD gets it. From what I’ve seen, interval training separates the serious from the dilettantes. Nothing like trying to keep form together on pace for those last few quarters/220s.

Yeah I have confidence in KMD

After years of mostly steady riding I’m finally taking my own advice and doing repeats (both flat and on hills) on the bike. And doing so reminds me why most people don’t do intervals - they’re no-BS training, cuz they really expose your flaws.

I like intervals

Overloading for at least SOME workouts is the way to go to get better - intervals, hills, hard pace runs (or rides) - they all up your game. They also all suck if you do them correctly.

The key is to go hard on your hard days, and then give yourself time to recover.

I raced in a local track mile this evening. I was thinking (based on the kind of splits I have been getting in training) that I was ready to do about 5:35. Did 5:44… So that sucks.

It’s ok though. It was good to break the ice and get in a race to see where I am at. I got the nerves out of the way ( I was RIDICULOUSLY nervous before this race!) Anyway, apparently I have a lot of work to do if I even want to hit 5:30!

Some of it is I am just out of practice when it comes to actually racing. Today’s mile almost felt like one of my track workouts. I was focused on my splits and effort. I was not really responding to the other runners. In NYC I just have to throw down! Right from the start just gun it!

Even more important I need to do longer intervals heading into NYC. 600s and even 800s. My speed is more than adequate to run a 5:30 mile. My body is just still out of sorts when it comes to holding the next gear. I think I am mentally saving too much so I need to get used to longer efforts.

Anyone who wanted to beat me… here is your chance. I’m not quite as badass as I wanted.

Yeah you should be worried about all the dudes here who ran sub-5’s for half a mile on a treadmill in high school but need to lose 50 lbs before challenging you in 2025.

Even so, its good that you have run the course before. Granted, its a straight flat line, but for the mind to become accostomed to the environment, your travel habits, rountine is 2nd time time time (I think). You should be in good standing to at least break last year’s. I’m rooting for you.

Brosef, you can’t even break 6.

so, the race is next weekend! For a while after that race I bombed, I was really struggling. I my track sessions were awful. I did not even want to be there and my times were actually looking worse. I almost thought of calling it off. I was starting to think, well, I’m not improving. Maybe this is just it. I’m old and tired.

However, I kept at it. Just going though the motions and doing longer intervals like I said I needed too. Then last week, I finally broke though. Something clicked and my stride really opened up. Stopped feeling like a chore to run fast and more like something my body wanted to do. I did a workout that include 3 quarters in 74! I have not done that since I was 19 years old!

Today I got out there for my 800m solo time trial. Last year I did 2:42… this year 2:36!!! Ass kicking back on schedule! I am going to enjoy Vegas this weekend a whole lot more with that performance in my back pocket!

I love this passage from “Fooled By Randomness”. Once again, I found it useful.

Anyone else racing next weekend?

Well done! I would actually come out to check out the race if it wasn’t my little girl’s birthday that day.

I’m ready bros. did some 400 intervals today and was hitting 80-85 seconds for 8

Cool! maybe I will see you there.

5:25 B*tches!

I sprinted that thing. Could taste blood in my throat afterward from forcing air in so hard.

Ericka Jackey owned you KMD!

Well good for her! …I don’t give a care. I’m 9 sec faster at 37 than was at 36 and almost as fast as I was when I was a collegiate track runner at 20. I rocked that race! :grin:

Congrats! Maybe you’ll show up on the NBC broadcast later this afternoon.