77 points secured a sure PASS?

Given the top 1%*70% rumor, assume the bottom guy in 2011 L2 top 1% lose 5 points, does that mean (120-5)*70%=80.5 a sure Pass? Suppose the bottom guy in top 1% lose 10 points this year, does that mean getting (120-10)*70%=77 a sure Pass? I got between 71-76 for mock exams. Wondering if I can pass this time. I’m 3rd timer to L2 this year :frowning:

me too , 3 rd timer i am so so worried as i marked totally 36 ( doubtful questions + all sorts of guesses) i am afraid i get the certain 84 80% only and 25% of the doubtful question = (84(0.8) + 36 (0.25) ) = 76.2 = 63.5% = fail but its a very difficult stuff to predict as we hv no idea abt the top 1% guy

Anyway, getting 120*70%=84 is a Sure PASS

L2 really not shortcut cause they will ask everything sometimes i thought that wouldn’t be in an exam, but finally they appear you know , i would study VWAP and shortfall implementation but forgot sth like current account in economics, weird?

yemaek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Given the top 1%*70% rumor, assume the bottom guy > in 2011 L2 top 1% lose 5 points, does that mean > (120-5)*70%=80.5 a sure Pass? > > Suppose the bottom guy in top 1% lose 10 points > this year, does that mean getting (120-10)*70%=77 > a sure Pass? > > I got between 71-76 for mock exams. Wondering if I > can pass this time. I’m 3rd timer to L2 this year > :frowning: The MPS used to be determined that way, but nowadays the MPS is determined by a committee based on their perceived difficulty of the exam, and does not depend on candidates’ erformance anymore.

cityboy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yemaek Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Given the top 1%*70% rumor, assume the bottom > guy > > in 2011 L2 top 1% lose 5 points, does that mean > > (120-5)*70%=80.5 a sure Pass? > > > > Suppose the bottom guy in top 1% lose 10 points > > this year, does that mean getting > (120-10)*70%=77 > > a sure Pass? > > > > I got between 71-76 for mock exams. Wondering if > I > > can pass this time. I’m 3rd timer to L2 this > year > > :frowning: > > The MPS used to be determined that way, but > nowadays the MPS is determined by a committee > based on their perceived difficulty of the exam, > and does not depend on candidates’ erformance > anymore. if this is the truth, will they determine the MPS higer than 70%?

hftsang Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > L2 really not shortcut cause they will ask > everything > > sometimes i thought that wouldn’t be in an exam, > but finally they appear > > you know , i would study VWAP and shortfall > implementation but forgot sth like current account > in economics, weird? VWAP and shortfall implementation werent on Schweser. Damn, had no clue what those were :frowning:

hftsang Wrote: > if this is the truth, will they determine the MPS > higer than 70%? Probably not. It has never been higher than 70%. See this thread: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?13,1170204 Re: Is 70% a “sure” pass? Posted by: HighYielder (IP Logged) Date: June 8, 2010 04:11PM I have talked to an individual that has sat on the CFAI Board of Governors before and he assured me that 100% of the candidates that have scored 70% or higher, going all the way back to the first year the exam was administered, have passed. That goes for all 3 levels. In other words, the passing score is rarely if ever =70% and never greater than 70%.

Thanks very much. Do you mean total at or above 70% is sure Pass, despite how many areas <50%? Suppose I have quant, derivatives, portfolio, fixed income, ethics all <50%, but scored exceptionally well in equity+finance+corporate finance(total 60 points).

For AM: I had 3 wild guesses, 6-7 educated guesses and unsure answers, and supposedly 6-7 tricky questions beating me. I lost 15-17 points in the morning at maximum. For PM: I had 6 wild guesses, 10-12 educated guesses and unsure answers, and supposedly 6-7 tricky questions beating me, I lost 22-24 points in the afternoon at maximum. Finally, I lost 39-44, which is quite credible. A 76-81 estimated score means I PASS or Fail, both by a very small margin, this year.

yes, overall score over 70% is a pass

Why are you getting only 25% of the unsure ones ? Surely get at least 33% on average ? hftsang Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > me too , 3 rd timer > > i am so so worried as i marked totally 36 ( > doubtful questions + all sorts of guesses) > > i am afraid i get the certain 84 80% only and 25% > of the doubtful question = (84(0.8) + 36 (0.25) ) > = 76.2 = 63.5% = fail > > but its a very difficult stuff to predict as we hv > no idea abt the top 1% guy

if 0.33 is the case, my prediction will be 65% only =[ i hope my sure answer , which is 84, all correct

all these guesstimates sure sound nice and assuring, heres something i found in the forums to keep your hopes alive: Level 2: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 * - - - Corporate Finance 36 - - * - Derivatives 36 - - * - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 72 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Quantitative Methods 18 - - *

I guess equity and FSA are central to PASS. Admire your skills in deriv, quant

these are not my scores! its for a person called TILT, he sat for the exam last year and got the most awkward level 2 fail ever…

I guess my 2011 L2 as below: Alternative Investments 18 - * - - Corporate Finance 36 - - * - Derivatives 36 - * - - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 72 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 *- - - Quantitative Methods 18 *- - Don’t know if Fail or not.

mr_moose Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > these are not my scores! its for a person called > TILT, he sat for the exam last year and got the > most awkward level 2 fail ever… yeah, the FRA, Equity, and Ethics sunk him.

mr_moose Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > these are not my scores! its for a person called > TILT, he sat for the exam last year and got the > most awkward level 2 fail ever… why are these scores awkward? u think he shdav passed?

In the end it doesn’t matter how you did in each subject, the total score is what counts. Your mark is based on the questions you answered correctly, not how many “over 70% topics” you got. RELAX! Enjoy the next 40 days and worry about your results in the end of July. I have to say that the results are on my mind a lot (more than at LEvel I), but it’s outside of my control so I don’t stress over it.