9/11 Stories (respectfully..)

live in DC so I experienced the Snipers and 9/11 first hand At the time I lived about 1/2 mile from the Pentagon, and every day I drove right by the side of the pentagon (Washington Blvd) where AA 77 crashed…so I drove right past where the plane crashed about an hour before while going to my office which was located 8 blocks from the White House. I was in an office meeting when my assistant came in screaming that the first tower was hit…we immediately went into my bosses’ office. About an hour later we could see the smoke from the Pentagon from about 3 miles away from a 7th story building. The sniper thing was crazy too…I remember for 3 weeks going from work to home and that was hit…I would zig zag walking everywhere and all of the gas station employees were volunteering to pump gas as people were afraid to get out of their cars. And living and working in DC got me used to the infamous Reagan Airport rule (where you could not move for the first 30 minutes or last 30 minutes of a flight)…which meant on a NYC shuttle you were seated the whole time…a lot of fun. We will never forget those who lost their lives on 9/11.

live in DC so I experienced the Snipers and 9/11 first hand At the time I lived about 1/2 mile from the Pentagon, and every day I drove right by the side of the pentagon (Washington Blvd) where AA 77 crashed…so I drove right past where the plane crashed about an hour before while going to my office which was located 8 blocks from the White House. I was in an office meeting when my assistant came in screaming that the first tower was hit…we immediately went into my bosses’ office. About an hour later we could see the smoke from the Pentagon from about 3 miles away from a 7th story building. The sniper thing was crazy too…I remember for 3 weeks going from work to home and that was hit…I would zig zag walking everywhere and all of the gas station employees were volunteering to pump gas as people were afraid to get out of their cars. And living and working in DC got me used to the infamous Reagan Airport rule (where you could not move for the first 30 minutes or last 30 minutes of a flight)…which meant on a NYC shuttle you were seated the whole time…a lot of fun. We will never forget those who lost their lives on 9/11.

I was in San Francisco. Woke up to the news and was completely shocked. When those towers fell, I knew the world would never be the same, and we were going to war with someone over this. Then my fear turned to anger and I just couldn’t wait for out intelligence people to find the bastards behind the attack so we could send strike force over to incinerate their asses. I spent the rest of the day with friends glued to the screen with my brother and some friends drinking and discussing how crazy the whole thing was. On this day last year I was doing some research on 9/11 and watching some clips and I came across the Kevin Cosgrove tape. My heart sank and I felt like it was that morning all over again. His scream haunts me to this day.

I was on duty on the USS Kitty Hawk in Yokosuka, Japan… got off watch a couple hours before and was watching Japanese MTV in the shop lounge (it was evening in Japan). During a commercial we flipped through the channels and saw the coverage of the first plane. We thought it was just some freak accident until the second tower and the pentagon got hit. Right after we realized what happened, I ran down to the quarterdeck and told the officer of the deck what was going on… he looked at me like I was drunk. I had to practically drag his ass over to the tv before he believed me. soon after, the calls started pouring in and the CO and XO dragged their asses out to the ship we went on high alert. I went back on pier watch with my shotgun, and for the first time in my military career I really felt like I was doing my duty. Nobody knew at the time that it was just a small group of terrorists… since they smashed up the pentagon, we were half expecting some unknown (North Korean? Russian? Iraqi?) combat troops to start storming our forward base there in Japan. Definitely a crazy night. Two weeks later we were on our way to Afghanistan. I’m not sure what parts of the Kitty Hawk’s operations there are classified, but if you’re interested in military strategy you should look it up. Our Admirals and Generals were very innovative and used the carrier in a completely new way. Definitely proud to be a part of that.

I was on the way into work and was listening to the radio when the first tower was hit. By the time I got to my desk, the second plane had already hit. The Gov’t trader was sitting across from me saying he had been on the phone with Cantor that morning when the plane hit. I’m sure we all have stories about talking with someone who was inside the building that day. I just got done watching the 9/11 tribute on CNBC. Very well done. The world became a much smaller and deadlier place that day. My brother has done three tours in Iraq and is on another to Afganistan. God bless all those who have sacrificed so much for our freedom and safety these last seven years.

Thank you guys. Great reads and indeed amazing that it’s 7 seven years ago and one line of such a post makes you go back to how we felt that day in an instant.

Gouman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > On this day last year I was doing some research on > 9/11 and watching some clips and I came across the > Kevin Cosgrove tape. My heart sank and I felt like > it was that morning all over again. His scream > haunts me to this day. I just listened to that conversation on YouTube and I have chills running through my body right now.

I am sorry to hear what many have had to go through because of 9/11 events, but do you ever realize why did this happen, no reaction happens without any action, 7 years after 9/11 look how the Bush administration handles the world affairs. The question is how long will the American public awake up to the gross mishandling of world affairs by the Bush administration.

I was a third year student when black day of terrorist attached happened. The first information sent to me and my classmates by English teacher. At that time of hearing, i haven’t too much attention to it because it seems the first time i have heard the English word phrase “terrorist attach” and i really couldn’t image the frightened consequence of the attach. I though only war brought seriously destroy of human and properties- such as Vietnam War showed in some newsreels. But thing became more and more serious to me after TVs and radios started broadcasting news in every channels at every time day through. It was so destructive seeing the towels collapsed. Days after that, we seem leaving in worries and more watchful of terrorist attach that hid somewhere else in the world. So many English words used to call terrorist attach come up into my mind naturally. It is really a terrible nightmare. I had moved into tear last year while watching a film recall story of 11 Sept. A man tried to contact for help but he couldn’t voice clearly because the smoke stop him from breath. And i had turned off TV as i cant stand the TV screen. Terrorist attach is cruel action to human. It is so terrible and destructive. It must be stopped for a peace.

CFA_IND Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am sorry to hear what many have had to go > through because of 9/11 events, but do you ever > realize why did this happen, no reaction happens > without any action, 7 years after 9/11 look how > the Bush administration handles the world affairs. > The question is how long will the American public > awake up to the gross mishandling of world affairs > by the Bush administration. thanks for hijacking the thread to make a political statement.

CFA_IND Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am sorry to hear what many have had to go > through because of 9/11 events, but do you ever > realize why did this happen, no reaction happens > without any action, 7 years after 9/11 look how > the Bush administration handles the world affairs. > The question is how long will the American public > awake up to the gross mishandling of world affairs > by the Bush administration. You either missed the point of the thread or you see it as a way to push your political agenda. Either way you should be ashamed.

I had just come out of our morning meeting and into my office. I saw people gathering in front of the new flat panel that had been installed for Factset, CNBC, etc. I came out to see what the deal was, about 5 minutes later plane #2 hit and that’s when we all new the sh!t had hit the fan.

CFA_IND Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am sorry to hear what many have had to go > through because of 9/11 events, but do you ever > realize why did this happen, no reaction happens > without any action, 7 years after 9/11 look how > the Bush administration handles the world affairs. > The question is how long will the American public > awake up to the gross mishandling of world affairs > by the Bush administration. Thats so ignorant of you. Did you stop to consider what actually happened?? The planes were not hijacked military planes and the towers were not gov’t buildings- their intended victims were thousands of innocent bystanders. This was no pearl harbor, IMHO it was far more repugnant in nature and anyone who’s initial reaction was “we brought it on ourselves” should be ashamed of themselves if not for these simple facts. Bottom line no gov’t will ever be able to make everyone happy, but that in no way gives anyone the right to inflict harm on completely innocent civilians. There are plenty of ppl out there who probably side on completely different ideological lines then yours equity_research_nds, CFA, that doesn’t give them the right to behead your cousin. btw… is your name nds as in nads?? Thats what I always think of when I see it and it makes me giggle. CFA balls hmm??

I was in boot camp (well a.f. so basic training) in San Antonio, TX - was out on the parade deck doing drill. Alarms went off on the base and we had to run for cover inside the building. We went inside and saw a video of the planes crashing into the towers and thought it was just a test. I (along with everyone else) thought it was a fake video for 2 days. Crazy. Then the base was on red alert with all the gates blocked off with the guards carrying loaded rifles, and knew it was not a test… definitely changed the world we live in greatly.

My experience was slightly different as I was not in NY, DC or PA. I was attending a small liberal arts college in a tiny midwestern town, with a population of about 10,000 (17,000 if you include the student population). I woke up to the sound of the television, on a friend’s couch, with a slight headache, some time around 9:15 am ET/8:15 a.m. CT. We all just sat around the TV in disbelief. That day, most classes were cancelled and those that were held did not involve the usual lecture; rather it was a discussion of the events. All day long you just heard echos of “can you believe what is happening?” What happened next was really odd…the overall mood in the town was somewhat of an end-of-the-world/doomsday/what is going to happen now, etc. I remember lines of cars, over an hour long, lined up to get gas at any station in town. People were stocking up on supplies…I’m pretty sure the local Wal-Mart ran out of bottled water. I remember feeling a least somewhat relieved that I lived in a no name town, tucked away in the heart of the midwestern U.S. Fast forward to 7 years later. My brother had entered the Marines in January of 2006. After boot camp, he entered the special forces unit (for those of you who do not know, this is the equivalent of a Navy Seal) and became the honor graduate of his graduating class, promoted up two ranks…a true talent. He was then deployed to Iraq in August 2007. As part of a special forces team, his work involved some intense combat missions, in which he watched children die and felt the force of AK47 bullets zoom by, inches from his head. His stint only lasted about 5 weeks. I cannot disclose the rest of the story, but for certain reasons out of his control, he was put on trial and is currently serving a 1 year sentence in military jail, with a dishonorable discharge stamped on his record. While I am ultimately thankful that he is in the U.S., safe and physically unharmed, his life is essentially ruined. This has caused hardship for my family, including my parents, who could barely afford to pay for the lawyer fees. The purpose of sharing this story with you was to show that all American people, irrespective of where you lived, what you did or who you knew, could be affected directly or indirectly from the events that happened 7 years ago. Life is a continous series of events, each of which produces a subsequent series, followed by another, etc. I personally had other friends who have served overseas…and the mental anguish involved in what they had to see, experience and do will affect them for the rest of their lives. To all on this forum - Thank you for sharing your stories with me.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_IND Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am sorry to hear what many have had to go > > through because of 9/11 events, but do you ever > > realize why did this happen, no reaction > happens > > without any action, 7 years after 9/11 look how > > the Bush administration handles the world > affairs. > > The question is how long will the American > public > > awake up to the gross mishandling of world > affairs > > by the Bush administration. > > > Thats so ignorant of you. Did you stop to > consider what actually happened?? The planes were > not hijacked military planes and the towers were > not gov’t buildings- their intended victims were > thousands of innocent bystanders. This was no > pearl harbor, IMHO it was far more repugnant in > nature and anyone who’s initial reaction was “we > brought it on ourselves” should be ashamed of > themselves if not for these simple facts. > > Bottom line no gov’t will ever be able to make > everyone happy, but that in no way gives anyone > the right to inflict harm on completely innocent > civilians. There are plenty of ppl out there who > probably side on completely different ideological > lines then yours equity_research_nds, CFA, that > doesn’t give them the right to behead your > cousin. > > btw… is your name nds as in nads?? Thats what I > always think of when I see it and it makes me > giggle. CFA balls hmm?? well,you are making a political statement yourself,akanska. just keep this thread to 9/11 stories.we all know that this is the first time american civilians ever experienced a horrific terrorist attack. welcome to the world.

Skylar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My experience was slightly different as I was not > in NY, DC or PA. I was attending a small liberal > arts college in a tiny midwestern town, with a > population of about 10,000 (17,000 if you include > the student population). I woke up to the sound > of the television, on a friend’s couch, with a > slight headache, some time around 9:15 am ET/8:15 > a.m. CT. > > We all just sat around the TV in disbelief. That > day, most classes were cancelled and those that > were held did not involve the usual lecture; > rather it was a discussion of the events. All day > long you just heard echos of “can you believe what > is happening?” > > What happened next was really odd…the overall > mood in the town was somewhat of an > end-of-the-world/doomsday/what is going to happen > now, etc. I remember lines of cars, over an hour > long, lined up to get gas at any station in town. > People were stocking up on supplies…I’m pretty > sure the local Wal-Mart ran out of bottled water. > I remember feeling a least somewhat relieved that > I lived in a no name town, tucked away in the > heart of the midwestern U.S. > > Fast forward to 7 years later. My brother had > entered the Marines in January of 2006. After > boot camp, he entered the special forces unit (for > those of you who do not know, this is the > equivalent of a Navy Seal) and became the honor > graduate of his graduating class, promoted up two > ranks…a true talent. He was then deployed to > Iraq in August 2007. As part of a special forces > team, his work involved some intense combat > missions, in which he watched children die and > felt the force of AK47 bullets zoom by, inches > from his head. His stint only lasted about 5 > weeks. I cannot disclose the rest of the story, > but for certain reasons out of his control, he was > put on trial and is currently serving a 1 year > sentence in military jail, with a dishonorable > discharge stamped on his record. While I am > ultimately thankful that he is in the U.S., safe > and physically unharmed, his life is essentially > ruined. This has caused hardship for my family, > including my parents, who could barely afford to > pay for the lawyer fees. > > The purpose of sharing this story with you was to > show that all American people, irrespective of > where you lived, what you did or who you knew, > could be affected directly or indirectly from the > events that happened 7 years ago. Life is a > continous series of events, each of which produces > a subsequent series, followed by another, etc. I > personally had other friends who have served > overseas…and the mental anguish involved in what > they had to see, experience and do will affect > them for the rest of their lives. > > To all on this forum - Thank you for sharing your > stories with me. My brother just graduated from Naval OCS top of his class. He just headed off to San Diego to prepare for Navy SEAL (BUDs) training. He doesn’t want to end up in Afghanistan or Iraq, he knows that is very likely, but rather somewhere in South America like Columbia or possibly somewhere in Africa. Sept 11th was what really convinced him that the Navy SEALs was what he wanted to do.

Bump.

Thanks, QuantJock. Some good stories here. I’ll never forget where I was. I was in Corporate Finance class in third year university. A friend of mine was surfing the net on his laptop and shouted out what happened. Our prof finished the class… I remember going home to turn on the TV and thinking it was a movie, no way was that real.

9/11/01-- just started a new job the previous day in a building next to the World Trade Center. Was scheduled to have a team dinner in one of the WTC restaurants that night. I still have the memorandum for that dinner in my drawer.