9/11 Stories (respectfully..)

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Another story; > > A pal of mine who manages a warehouse said that > many of the foreigners who are employees cheered > when the planes hit the towers. Disgusting. I have heard similar stories. Fck them.

QuantJock_MBA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Bump. I’ve been on an AF hiatus and logged on today to see that this thread was bumped. Well done.

I think it is actually pretty disrespectful that JDV started this thread but doesn’t come back to pay his respects on 9/11.

bumpbump. Good stories here. I remember that an ill feeling went through my spine as I watch the tower collapsing. Never would I imagine that the tower of that magnitude and size can just collapse into nothing.

God Bless the souls of those who perished… is Bin Laden still alive? I read somewhere that he had 12-15 look alikes, and army could never figure out if they had the real one down. I wish I knew where he was, 50 million dollars…

I’m not sure about that 12-15 number, maybe it’s just me but I’m guessing it’s kind of hard to find a lot of middle-aged 6’4" rail-thin lookalikes who are willing to walk around all day as a living target for patriot missles.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Another story; > > > > A pal of mine who manages a warehouse said that > > many of the foreigners who are employees > cheered > > when the planes hit the towers. > > > Disgusting. I have heard similar stories. Fck > them. my roomate in my first year of college was cursing allah at ~5AM the day the U.S. caught Saddam. I thought for sure we were going to have a “Higher Learning” moment sometime that year. all my sympathies to the families of those who lost loved ones, and bring our boys home so we can stop the flow of blood.

tear

Never forget. Heh heh … this was post 69.

I was in a far off land, it was my first week of a 9 month paid vacation. I woke up early because I was going to meet some people for lunch, when I saw what happened. I was sick to my stomach since only weeks earlier I had been in the area and knew several people that worked there. What was even more sickening, was that where I was, people were celebrating and some were even shedding tears of joy and thanking the heavens. This is were my 3yr journey into the jungle began…

ceo1975 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > only weeks earlier I had been in the area Wow, you were really close to the action. Not like me who actually was in an office next door under one of the planes at the time it happened.

I was in high school at the time, and it was school picture day. I was pretty worried a lot of the day as my dad was in the Hancock building at that time, and although it’s not likely to be a target, it is a hell of a big skyscraper. If I rationalized it, it wouldn’t be a big thing to worry about, but when two of the most iconic towers in the world are blown out of the sky, rational thought doesn’t really come to mind. As for the people who cheered, that just sickens me. While I know that not everyone loves Americans, I find it hard to accept that people are happy when thousands of innocent people are killed. They’re no better than the people who did it.

Nice posts. I was in midtown. We had offices at World Financial - so even if I was working downtown I wouldn’t have been in the towers. So many people I’ve met since then who were in NY and everyone has the same comment - it was such a beautiful day. It’s good to remember - i watched the video’s again and they are so sad. I’ve had three kids since then and can’t imagine the pain of trying to explain this to a 6 year old. With that said - they’re also reminders. Reminders to hug our kids, make them breakfast and catch a later train, say I love you and aim for jobs that let us focus on the things in life that really matter.

Bump. Since 9/11 is Saturday, let’s begin sharing now.

I was in 9th grade. We were about to watch a movie in Literature class when we were having trouble getting the TV into “Aux” mode. It was stuck on Channel 3 while we called IT to have it fixed. Then, around 845 the news cut to the WTC tower 1 on fire. We all thought it was an accident. IT never ended up showing up and we watched the second plane hit. After that class I went to homeroom where the news was on as well, I watched the two towers fall live.

I was in San Jose sleeping peacefully, but was woken up by the news. Feared for my friend who I hadn’t talked to in months, I knew he worked in one of the towers. Found out he took a new job and moved out of the towers a month before this happened. Five years later I made friends with another chap who made it out alive from the 50th floor of one of the towers. As I write this, I can see from my office window, the big empty space where the majestic towers stood. Still shudder when I think what happened.

Was working in Boston’s tallest building when it happened. We were quickly evacuated after plane #2 hit. The most surreal part of the whole thing is how the news was relayed to us - via the Howard Stern show. Anyway, I’m fortunate to not have been heavily impacted by it, it terms of proximity to the events or loss of friends - I’m guessing quite a few on this forum had very different experiences, unfortunately.

I always heard my parents talk about what they were doing when Kennedy was shot. I had always hoped there would never be a defining moment in my lifetime like that. I was 16 when it happened and it’s crazy to think that 9 years have already passed.

Senior in high school living abroad at the time in London. Went to an international school, so there was a huge contingent of army brats, kids of executives, etc. who went to the school and knew someone in the towers. It’s 5 hours later there, so I think it was last period when I got the news - I was in a study hall and a librarian who liked me handed me a printout from Nytimes.com saying a horrible accident had happened with a plane crashing into one of the WTC towers. We read the story online together and then she refreshed the page about five minutes later, and we read that another plane had hit the other tower. It took us a really, really long time to process that this was obviously not an accident - probably another five minutes, by which point my entire school was in chaos. I got home in another 45 minutes to turn on BBC. Within five minutes the first tower had collapsed. I remember the BBC anchor in London (who couldn’t see the video feed) had to ask the NYC correspondent twice for confirmation as to what he meant. Something like: NYC correspondent: And…yes, yes, it’s definitely coming down. That’s it. It’s down, there’s nothing left. BBC guy in London: The plane has come down? I’m sorry, what’s happened? NYC correspondent: The building. It’s collapsed. The whole south tower is gone. BBC guy: [perhaps ten seconds of silence pass as he digests this] Terrible follow-up: Got my first finance job in London three years later, passed my licensing exams, and promptly started work in Monument. Within I think two weeks of my start date the London 7/7 bombings happened, and I got off the first train maybe three minutes before the first bomb was detonated (I got off at Monument, bomb on first train went off between Tower Hill and Aldgate). Myself and every other worker in the city left their offices and proceeded on foot to Waterloo or some other British Rail station, since the tube was no longer running, to get the hell out of london. I remember crossing Waterloo bridge with thousands of other people, and you could look left and right and see, all the way up and down the Thames, people swarming the bridges trying to leave London. Surreal and terrifying.

I was in 10th grade going to school in Brooklyn, about 15 miles from the towers. We heard news when the first plane hit, I was in Spanish class. The teacher’s son has boarded a plane to San Fran that morning, so she was hysterical trying to find out what happened. Then there was an announcement that a second plane hit the towers. Smoke from the towers began coming into the school lightly, and it was announced that we couldn’t leave our seats until our parents came to pick us up. I got up and walked out of class, and headed straight home (I lived 2 blocks from the school). Turned on TV and just stood there in absolute shock. Will never forget that feeling. A girl I sat next to in Spanish class lost her father that day, and my father had a high school friend who couldn’t make it out on time. It was surreal.