a chartered financial analyst Vs a CFA

Hi, I know you can not say “I am a CFA”. But can you say “I am a chartered financial analyst”??? thx

I think you can say the second one - I am a chartered financial analyst.

You can say “I am a chartered financial analyst” but you can’t say “I am a Chartered Financial Analyst”. Well I guess it’s OK if you say it verbally either way. :slight_smile:

I don’t think you can say “I am a chartered financial analyst” isn’t that using it as a noun?

you certainly can’t saying “Charterred Financial Analyst” is the same as saying “CFA” You can say, I am a Chartered Financial Analyst Charterholder or CFA Charterholder

Isn’t that the same as saying “Volkovv a CFA”? and I thought you couldnt say that? i’m on level iii and still can’t figure this out…arrrrr

its different, when you said “… a CFA” that is using it like a noun, which is not allowed

You have to say, Volkovv wants to be a CFA Charterholder.

^ that would work

Except I dont know if by Capitalizing Charterholder if I violated b/c it might be lower case??

yes you can say it . . . if you want to lose your charter and be ostracized by your co-workers, clients, and the Ingers.

you are right it must be lower case, so we both violated :slight_smile:

Yeah I guess by capitalizing it you are almost making the assumption that you’re superiour…but we are :slight_smile: ok I violated…

This dude has it in his website bio: https://www.firstadvisorsonline.com/Staff.aspx Fumble! Obviously he didn’t write this though because who would put “I am a CFP” before “I am a CFA” in the same sentence?

I see violations all the time in marketing or Prime Broker summary sheets…

From - http://www.cfainstitute.org/aboutus/policies/cfaguide.html Proper John Smith is a CFA charterholder Amy Jones, CFA, is a portfolio manager John Smith is a holder of the right to use the Chartered Financial Analyst designation Improper John Smith is a CFA John Smith and Amy Jones are CFAs The first and most prominent use of the CFA® or Chartered Financial Analyst® marks in text material should include the registered trademark symbol (®). It is not necessary to use the ® symbol when the marks directly refer to a specific individual. Proper John Smith is a CFA charterholder Three analysts at the firm hold the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation Always specify in a tag line at the end of an article and at the bottom of an advertisement or promotional literature that the marks are the property of CFA Institute. Proper CFA® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are trademarks owned by CFA Institute The CFA® mark must appear in all capital letters. With respect to Chartered Financial Analyst®, at a minimum, the first letter of each word must be capitalized. Proper John Smith, CFA John Smith, Chartered Financial Analyst Improper Amy Jones, cfa John Smith, chartered financial analyst The form of the marks must never be altered to create a new word, phrase or design. The marks may never be used in the plural or possessive forms. The CFA® and Chartered Financial Analyst® marks must not be used as part of, or incorporated in, the name of a company or imply that the company is entitled to use the marks. Additionally, the marks may not be used in a charterholder’s e-mail address or in a personal or company domain name. Proper Amy Jones, Chartered Financial Analyst Improper Amy Jones, Inc., Chartered Financial Analyst johnsmithcfa.com