A good stock to buy??

Guys I want to invest in a stock…which one you reccomend? I was thinking about CFSG…

FRE - trading only at 0.84 and the 52 week high was 65. Just imagine it goes up only to like 10 or 15, you will still make a killing on it. Go all in. The Fed will ensure that the company doesn’t go under resulting in accelerated wealth creation for the stockholders.

SBUX

ZeroBonus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FRE - trading only at 0.84 and the 52 week high > was 65. > > Just imagine it goes up only to like 10 or 15, you > will still make a killing on it. > > Go all in. The Fed will ensure that the company > doesn’t go under resulting in accelerated wealth > creation for the stockholders. A nice interview to Buffett about FRE http://liz.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2008/09/08/warren-buffett-to-fbn-shorting-fnmfre-like-jumping-off-a-pancake/

ZeroBonus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FRE - trading only at 0.84 and the 52 week high > was 65. > > Just imagine it goes up only to like 10 or 15, you > will still make a killing on it. > > Go all in. The Fed will ensure that the company > doesn’t go under resulting in accelerated wealth > creation for the stockholders. You’re joking, right?

TJR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SBUX Dude sales of SBUX are dropping and forecast are not that good. How do you decide your pick?

Why do you want to invest in a stock? What could you possibly know about the prospects for CFSG? I like it that the world is deciding that SBUX coffee stinks. I was staying at a fancy Inn near Seattle (Lake Quinault Lodge) a couple of weeks ago and they served Starbucks coffee in the restaurant. I went across the street and bought take-out coffee at the gas station and brought it back. The waitress said that lots of people are starting to do that and she hates SBUX coffee too. This is 50 miles from Seattle… SBUX coffee is cheap beans over-roasted. The snob appeal goes as soon as people realize that they are drinking trash that they paid lots of money for. Every gas station in town serves better coffee than SBUX.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why do you want to invest in a stock? What could > you possibly know about the prospects for CFSG? > > I like it that the world is deciding that SBUX > coffee stinks. I was staying at a fancy Inn near > Seattle (Lake Quinault Lodge) a couple of weeks > ago and they served Starbucks coffee in the > restaurant. I went across the street and bought > take-out coffee at the gas station and brought it > back. The waitress said that lots of people are > starting to do that and she hates SBUX coffee too. > This is 50 miles from Seattle… > > SBUX coffee is cheap beans over-roasted. The snob > appeal goes as soon as people realize that they > are drinking trash that they paid lots of money > for. Every gas station in town serves better > coffee than SBUX. I agree… JDV…you should try the real Italian coffee…it is better than a redbull!

here’s my SBUX rant: i stopped going to SBUX completely last summer when the price of a medium cup of coffee went over $2.00 after tax. it was the last straw, i threw in the towel. i refuse to go in one nowadays. 1) paper cups dont keep coffee hot for long enough 2) paper cups drip coffee at the seam, under the lid. drives me insane 3) coffee doesnt taste that great to begin with. tastes flat-out awful after 20 minutes 4) feel like a loser calling things “grande” 5) waaaaay overpriced so now i hit up DD, mcdonalds, or intelligentsia if i feel like the good stuff (chicago)

I’m not smart enough to pick stocks as I have found out. So I buy VTI, AOVIX, BND, and VEU regularly to dollar cost average.

wegowayback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > here’s my SBUX rant: > > i stopped going to SBUX completely last summer > when the price of a medium cup of coffee went over > $2.00 after tax. it was the last straw, i threw > in the towel. i refuse to go in one nowadays. > > 1) paper cups dont keep coffee hot for long > enough > > 2) paper cups drip coffee at the seam, under the > lid. drives me insane > > 3) coffee doesnt taste that great to begin with. > tastes flat-out awful after 20 minutes > > 4) feel like a loser calling things “grande” > > 5) waaaaay overpriced > > so now i hit up DD, mcdonalds, or intelligentsia > if i feel like the good stuff (chicago) This is what I use everyday to make coffee http://www.euroelettrica.it/pic_prod/bialetti_mokaexpress_320.jpg the coffee is great!

I think the next trendy bubble thing in stocks will be in consumer staples. XLP is hitting 52 week highs and valuation wise, it’s not expensive at all. The oil shocks of the 70’s gave birth to a big bubble in the nifty fifty bluechip type consumer stocks. History may repeat itself… it’s certainly been long enough. Maybe I’m a dimwit but it seems like as a good a sector as anything to throw money at. We had a tech bubble, a gold bubble, an energy bubble, a real estate bubble, an ag bubble, what will be the next bubble? XLP! It’s also a safety thing. People have been buying it because they have to own stocks and it is less volatile than the market overall.

wegowayback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > here’s my SBUX rant: > > i stopped going to SBUX completely last summer > when the price of a medium cup of coffee went over > $2.00 after tax. it was the last straw, i threw > in the towel. i refuse to go in one nowadays. > > 1) paper cups dont keep coffee hot for long > enough > > 2) paper cups drip coffee at the seam, under the > lid. drives me insane > > 3) coffee doesnt taste that great to begin with. > tastes flat-out awful after 20 minutes > > 4) feel like a loser calling things “grande” > > 5) waaaaay overpriced > > so now i hit up DD, mcdonalds, or intelligentsia > if i feel like the good stuff (chicago) They do have to drop that (vente, grande, tall) crap – it’s so stupid.

bux’ is dead money for at least 2 quarters. Right now, I like BKE, LO, SCVL. BKE = ripping SSS comps, back to school play, low analyst coverage. LO = tobacco story, defensive play, lots of M/A in space, do a simple DDM and discount it @ an 8% WACC, stock is worth 82 a year out and its safe SCVL = earnings will normalize next year, great debt capacity, decent margins, and probably an LBO target in my mind. People forget how much PE interest we are seeing in the footwear/retailer space.

I had the idea that the way the market works is like this: when just as many very smart people think the stock is overvalued as think it’s undervalued, the market clears. So I don’t know why FRE (at whatever price it’s currently clearing) or SBUX (ditto) is any better or worse a bet than BKE, LO, or any other of 5,000 stocks you could name. Why do we think FRE or SBUX won’t produce a normal (risk-adusted) return? Is anyone divulging any insider information here? Or are these issues too unknown or lightly traded to have gotten the notice of any significant PMs? Pox Americana Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ZeroBonus Wrote: > > FRE - trading only at 0.84 and the 52 week high > > was 65. > You’re joking, right? strangedays Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TJR Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > > SBUX > Dude sales of SBUX are dropping and forecast are > not that good. How do you decide your pick?

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I had the idea that the way the market works is > like this: when just as many very smart people > think the stock is overvalued as think it’s > undervalued, the market clears. So I don’t know > why FRE (at whatever price it’s currently > clearing) or SBUX (ditto) is any better or worse a > bet than BKE, LO, or any other of 5,000 stocks you > could name. > > Why do we think FRE or SBUX won’t produce a normal > (risk-adusted) return? Is anyone divulging any > insider information here? Or are these issues too > unknown or lightly traded to have gotten the > notice of any significant PMs? > > not sure where you are going with this. I dont see the market like this, in terms of smart people and all this clearing prices, etc. I see an asset as a discounted stream of flows, then we add things like PE expansion and control premium.

I bought in a few FWLT (Foster Wheeler) for $35, recently it has been gyrating 45-70, and last week its been down to 35. Strong fundamentals but weak market peception of the value.