A lie about the previous job

My managers interviewed a guy and liked him, he had 2 years of experience at one assurance. He stated he was employed at the moment of the interview. They send him a job offer. He even said he needed a one month notice period. Later, it proved that he was in fact not employed for 5 months before the interview. Is it a definite “no”?

That kind of thing looks like an almost definite no to me. This is because, if they hire him and he gets the company into trouble through some kind of dishonesty, the hiring managers are on the hook because they “knew” he could lie about things. They might be able to get around it if he said he was employed, but not employed by that firm (he might have a temporary job somewhere else). Let’s face it, would you trust a known lier with *your* money?

ding

Perhaps they could confront him. How sure is your claim that he is not employed? I understand you could recind the offer at will, but at least see if the person could clarify.

just call his reference up. it takes 5 seconds.

More important than the interview lie in my book is the resume lie. Surely his resume said he was employed, right? You can’t hire someone with a huge glaring resume lie like that.

More important than the interview lie in my book is the resume lie. Surely his resume said he was employed, right? You can’t hire someone with a huge glaring resume lie like that.

he said at the interview he was employed at BIG4, his resume stated the same. I just can’t understand that. I would not be ashamed after 2ys at BIG4 even if I left the job and was unemployed for 5 months.

why we would he states he needs a month’s notice??? Perhaps he’s really trying to cover his tracks?

Changing dates on a resume is really dumb. That is the biggest thing I have heard HR checking up on.

I see no reason not to rescind the offer.

unless there is some crazy mixup, no way should they hire him…

dump him

It seems that yes, the offer is going to be rescinded even though he made a great impression on managers during the technical interview. Yet another good example of how one should not represent himself. CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > why we would he states he needs a month’s > notice??? Perhaps he’s really trying to cover his > tracks? Probably to sound in line with expectations, someone who is permanently employed would have to give a 1m notice.

There’s three reasons not to hire him. 1. Liar 2. There’s probably something to cover up in regards to how he left the job 3. He should have been smarter than to lie about something that you easily found out was false.

First isn’t it standard to give 2 week notice. And also how did you guys figure out he was he was lying?

publish his name here and on the wsj and FT so that no one ever hires him!

Is Wall St. not full of liars?

of course not

how did you find out?