A little too far this time

I have no problem with the concept of Wikileaks or the majority of the stuff they have published previously, but I think this goes a little bit too far. What does the public gain by knowing what locations the US Govt. considers vital to its national security? This demonstrates to me that Mr. Assange’s motivations go beyond transparency. WASHINGTON – In a disclosure of some of the most sensitive information revealed yet by WikiLeaks, the website has released a secret cable listing sites worldwide that the U.S. considers critical to its national security. The locations cited in the diplomatic cable from U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton range from undersea communications lines to suppliers of food, medicine and manufacturing materials. The Pentagon declined to comment Monday on the details of what it called “stolen” documents containing classified information. But a spokesman, Col. David Lapan, called the disclosure “damaging” and said it gives valuable information to the country’s adversaries. “This is one of many reasons why we believe Wikileaks’ actions are irresponsible and dangerous,” Lapan said. WikiLeaks released the 2009 Clinton cable on Sunday. In the message, marked “secret,” Clinton asked U.S. diplomatic posts to help update a list of sites around the world “which, if destroyed, disrupted or exploited, would likely have an immediate and deleterious effect on the United States.” The list was considered so confidential, the posts were advised to come up with it on their own: “Posts are not/not being asked to consult with host governments in respect to this request,” Clinton wrote. Attached to Clinton’s message was a rundown of sites included in the 2008 “Critical Foreign Dependencies Initiative” list. Some of the sites, such as border crossings, hydroelectric dams and shipping lanes, could hardly be considered secret. But other locations, such as mines, manufacturers of components used in weapons systems, and vaccine and antivenom factories, likely were not widely known. The Associated Press has decided against publishing their names due to the sensitive nature of the information. The release came as WikiLeaks faced more pressure to end its release of secret U.S. diplomatic cables, which started last week. The Swiss postal system on Monday shut down a bank account held by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, leaving him and his website with few options left for raising money. Meanwhile, WikiLeaks’ Swedish servers again came under suspected attack. Also Monday, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder again condemned the leaks and said the espionage act is just one of the laws the U.S. could use to prosecute those involved in the WikiLeaks releases. Holder declined to say which other laws might come into play. Possibilities include charges such as the theft of government property or receipt of stolen government property.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have no problem with the concept of Wikileaks or > the majority of the stuff they have published > previously, but I think this goes a little bit too > far. What does the public gain by knowing what > locations the US Govt. considers vital to its > national security? This demonstrates to me that > Mr. Assange’s motivations go beyond transparency. > http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/dec/05/wikileaks-julian-assange

Assange’s arrest date over/under? I say 1/23.

Under

and he’s in custody… that was quick

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Under What do I win?

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > higgmond Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Under > > > What do I win? You get to be under Inner Evil Voice.

hahahhaa @ Assange; Higgs should get a gift card from Chad.