A question regarding background checks...Please help!

So a company gave me an offer and they said that they plan to run a background check on me. I’m assuming that the background check involves credit record, criminal history, and references from past employers. On the background check sheet, do I have to list ALL the previous employers I’ve worked for or just the main ones (the ones on my resume)? Also, if I am on not so good terms with a past employer that is on my resume, what should I do?? Is the company that I got an offer from, going to ask specific questions about my performance?? Is it alright if I don’t list the past employer on the sheet? Please help!!

Answer exactly what they ask for. Don’t omit any employment history. I wouldn’t worry about performance. The background check is usually just to verify that you did work where you say you did, and at the time you did. They will also establish your (lack of) criminal record and may do a credit history check. Relax …

BishBosh is right…very normal just to have them check the things he mentions. Usually, most companies wont actually go into ANY details of your performance and will only answer about the dates you worked there. At least the few big companies and 1 small one I have been around.

I emailed my previous employer and asked them if they would give me a positive reference, and she explicitly told me that she was not satisfied with my work and that I should not have any potential employer contact her… I understand that 9 out of 10 times they only ask for dates and positions, but it’s that 10% that I’m REALLY scared of now. It would be TERRIBLE to have my offer rescinded because of a stupid background check…

I emailed my previous employer and asked them if they would give me a positive reference, and she explicitly told me that she was not satisfied with my work and that I should not have any potential employer contact her… I understand that 9 out of 10 times they only ask for dates and positions, but it’s that 10% that I’m REALLY scared of now. It would be TERRIBLE to have my offer rescinded because of a stupid background check…

Backgrounds checks are directed towards HR departments and not line management. I think you’ll be fine.

Yep, just give the contact of your HR in your previous companies. All they want to do is to know if you have been with the firm you indicated in the resume. Your previous employer is such a b!+ch!

This company was a super-boutique (run by 3 people), so the president is the only contact info I have…

At least you know why your former employer is being a b!itch. My former employer laid off a bunch of people–basically anyone with the firm for less than 2 years–and refused to answer any of my calls or emails asking for a reference. I was bewildered as I had done a fantastic job for them–I had sort of revolutionized some of the ways they did research. They laid us off and never spoke to us again.

Still think you’ll be OK. Is your new employer a reasonably large firm? If so, they probably hire a verification agency like Kroll to do this stuff. Anyway, they’re not looking for references, they’re checking facts - don’t sweat it.

BishBosh Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Still think you’ll be OK. Is your new employer a > reasonably large firm? > > If so, they probably hire a verification agency > like Kroll to do this stuff. Anyway, they’re not > looking for references, they’re checking facts - > don’t sweat it. It’s a super large firm…

BishBosh Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Still think you’ll be OK. Is your new employer a > reasonably large firm? > > If so, they probably hire a verification agency > like Kroll to do this stuff. Anyway, they’re not > looking for references, they’re checking facts - > don’t sweat it. It’s a super large firm…

haha - you pulled a half-baked-style-exit when you walked out didn’t you “f- you, f-you . . . you’re cool, I’m outta here” Just be honest, man - I’m sure everyone has bones in their closet in some way. If you are a cool person and can perform, that is probably all they care about even if someone does ask.

Yeah, what did you do(not do) to illicit that sort of response? Really they just want to verify employment at this point. If you have been extended an offer I’m not sure they’ll be asking a lot of questions to past employers.

Give them the number to HR

Jappped, what job is this for? And what happened with the E&Y Transfer pricing offer?