A-Rod thread - where did it go?

The bottom line is that A-Fraud is the boss, he calls the shots, and has ultimate responsibility for how HE manages his image. Maybe Boras came up with the “idea” to pull that crap during the WS, but Slappy Blue Lips has to be held accountable. Period.

Whats with all the anger seriously? He did what he thinks was best for him. Name another player who puts up stats even close to what he does. I find your view very interesting, most of the top HF managers on Wall St, were celebrating his move. Said everything he did makes sense. Which I agree with, hes looking out for #1.

adehbone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- “I find your view very interesting, most of the top > HF managers on Wall St, were celebrating his move.” That is the funniest s h ! t I have heard in a long time, thanks for that!!

“most of the top HF managers on Wall St, were celebrating his move.” According to your highly scientific study? The guy’s a scumbag, he said all year how he wanted to stay then bolted without even a face to face meeting. Have fun breaking records but never winning anything in some media friendly west coast city…

Derek Jeter, 2001 World Series: .148/.179/.259. Clutch. (that’s BA/OBP/SLG)

This guy is using this dumb azz comment from some hedge fund manager to make it seem like A-rod is some BSD…friggin hillarious. His post makes it seem like he’s tight with the upper echelon of NYC hedge fund managers, even more hillarious. adehbone is this what you were refering to: “The New York Times notes that Alex Rodriguez’s decision to spurn the Yankees and test his worth as a free agent may have fans smarting, but not on Wall Street, where the $30 million a year he is thought to be seeking doesn’t seem so big. “Not only do I have no problem with it, I’m cheering him on,” James L. Melcher, founder and chief executive at Balestra Capital, a hedge fund in New York, told The Times. “ Ballplayers work every day, they risk serious injury, and they travel all the time. I don’t begrudge him a penny.” Perhaps a Blackstone softball team could make a competitive offer, if next year’s tax bill doesn’t get out of hand.” For the record, its not about the money he’s asking for, its the suckiness of him having to announce it DURING the world series. Oh and adebone…since your talking stats, you mind posting A-Rod’s cumulative post season numbers since joining the Yankees. I forgot what what they look like. Thanks for the help!

equity_analyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh and adebone…since your talking stats, you > mind posting A-Rod’s cumulative post season > numbers since joining the Yankees. I forgot what > what they look like. > > Thanks for the help! not too many numbers to speak of, aside from some zeroes it’s true that a-rod is probably the game’s most talented hitter, but his leaving the yankees isn’t the coming of the apocalypse either. last i checked, the yankees did pretty well with some “guys” named wade boggs and scott brosius at third base, who were good hitters in their own right but making just a fraction of the salary that a-rod was “earning”. on top of that, the difference between them and a-rod is that they didn’t need to be the center of attention, they got the job done and did it well, and teammates and management loved them.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > equity_analyst Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Oh and adebone…since your talking stats, you > > mind posting A-Rod’s cumulative post season > > numbers since joining the Yankees. I forgot > what > > what they look like. > > > > Thanks for the help! > > > not too many numbers to speak of, aside from some > zeroes > > it’s true that a-rod is probably the game’s most > talented hitter, but his leaving the yankees isn’t > the coming of the apocalypse either. last i > checked, the yankees did pretty well with some > “guys” named wade boggs and scott brosius at third > base, who were good hitters in their own right but > making just a fraction of the salary that a-rod > was “earning”. on top of that, the difference > between them and a-rod is that they didn’t need to > be the center of attention, they got the job done > and did it well, and teammates and management > loved them. I would even concede that the timing of the announcement MIGHT be easier to stomach if the guy was the real deal. Meaning, if he could put up the numbers when it really matters. Look at MJ, a true champion that stepped his already elevated game up further during the playoffs, year after year. I’ll even use Kurt Schilling as an example of what A-Rod will never be. This guy gets signed to Boston and what is the first thing he does? He’s in a Ford commercial proclaming he’s coming to Boston to bring the World Series home for the fans. And he has, twice. A true champion that delivers in the clutch.

The least you could do for Curt Schilling is spell his name correctly. Why is Derek Jeter’s career batting average in the playoffs below his career average in the regular season? Is it because your notion of “clutch” is completely ridiculous? Sure, there are clutch performances, like Jeter’s homerun in the 2001 WS, but as I pointed out above, he was abysmal in the rest of that series. The funny thing is, A-Rod hasn’t even been that bad in the postseason for the Yanks. Yes, he was bad in 2005 and 2006. That’s a total of 9 games. However, he was great in 11 games in 2004, and just OK this year. People who really understand baseball won’t judge a 1900 game career on 39 games.

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The funny thing is, A-Rod hasn’t even been that > bad in the postseason for the Yanks. I know you must be kidding with that statement right? Man you would be the best GM ever to play for with such lofty expectations for your players! LOL! Did you even look at the stats? Playoff Stats for Slappy Blue Lips: —Last three years hits = 7/44 for a sweet .159 BA —Since 2004 = 23/94 = .245 BA, again this is the highest paid guy in the game! —All time = .279 not even a .300 hitter in the playoffs and this guy is supposed to be the best, give me a break!! Lets not even delve into the RBI’s or BA with men in scoring position. Any way you slice it his four year body of work in the playoffs with the Yanks is embarrasing. Maybe your not really an A-Rod ball washer but in case you are I thought I would leave you with a little taste of what your “boy” is all about in case you forgot: “When people write [bad things] about me, I don’t know if it’s [because] I’m good-looking, I’m biracial, I make the most money, I play on the most popular team.” Tom Verducci (2006-09-25). A-Rod Agonistes. Sports Illustrated

Why do Boston fans have such a Derek Jeter inferiority complex? You guys just won your second WS in 4 years, enjoy it. You shouldn’t care that he has 4 rings, Yankee fans love him, and he gets more pu$$y than the entire state of Mass.

I repeat: you’re going to throw his 1900 game career out the window because of his career 39 playoff games in which he’s performed only slightly below his career averages? He’s only had 24 playoff games for Yankees. Jeter also has slightly below average performance in the postseason, although he’s played nearly an entire extra season in the postseaon. I’m not trying to defend him. I’m trying to point out how ridiculous your respective opinions of A-Rod and Jeter are when held in any sort of objective light. Even your last quote there could essentially have been uttered from Jeter’s mouth. You’re just a sports fan blind to the facts and accepting of whatever the media and watercooler opinion of a guy is. He’s worth more to the Yanks than to any other team in baseball, because the Yanks can pay him more than any other team and it doesn’t really affect other parts of the team. Yet you’re going to run the best player in baseball out of town, and be glad you did it! Then you’re going to clamor to replace him with 35 year old, 20 home run bad knees Lowell! Classic. Next you’re going to tell me Torre was a part of the problem as well.

Randall Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why do Boston fans have such a Derek Jeter > inferiority complex? You guys just won your > second WS in 4 years, enjoy it. You shouldn’t > care that he has 4 rings, Yankee fans love him, > and he gets more pu$$y than the entire state of > Mass. I totally respect Jeeter for his game and class, although I can’t stand that smug look he gives.

If you’re talking to me, I’m hardly a Boston fan. I also think Jeter is a deserved 1st ballot HOFer.

I’m not disputing his career numbers or his prowess during the regular season, which is obvious. My point is that his post season numbers with the Yankees are really bad and after 3 consecutive years of not getting it done he has now solidified his reputation as a post season failure. In startk conrast to real champions, such as MJ and Kurt Schilling, who perfrom in the playoffs (read that to mean "clutch). You know, guys that actually win and perfrom when it matters most. Your are right though, many of the greats of the game didn’t impress all that much in October, Joe DiMaggio for example batted .271, below his lifetime BA of .325. But there is a HUGE difference between JD and A-Rod, and I think we all know what that is. Re-read the order of my posts I didn’t even mention Jeeter. But since you brought it up I would be ecstatic if I woke up tomorrow and read that the Sox signed him to a multi-year deal. He’s classy and performs so he would fit right in here. Signing Slappy Blue Lips…uhhhhh not so much.

equity_analyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Your are right though, many of the greats of the > game didn’t impress all that much in October, Joe > DiMaggio for example batted .271, below his > lifetime BA of .325. But there is a HUGE > difference between JD and A-Rod, and I think we > all know what that is. > There’s one comparison that comes to my mind, and it wasn’t even necessarily what happens on the baseball field. Joe DiMaggio served as a sergeant in the US Air Force during World War II, and came back after the war and hit .290 with 25 HR’s, 95 RBI’s, and made the All-Star Team again. I’d like to know if A-Rod will ever serve a team like that, let alone his country. Like you said, equity_analyst, I don’t even know if Joe D and A-Rod are even in the same league.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > equity_analyst Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > > Your are right though, many of the greats of > the > > game didn’t impress all that much in October, > Joe > > DiMaggio for example batted .271, below his > > lifetime BA of .325. But there is a HUGE > > difference between JD and A-Rod, and I think we > > all know what that is. > > > > There’s one comparison that comes to my mind, and > it wasn’t even necessarily what happens on the > baseball field. Joe DiMaggio served as a sergeant > in the US Air Force during World War II, and came > back after the war and hit .290 with 25 HR’s, 95 > RBI’s, and made the All-Star Team again. I’d like > to know if A-Rod will ever serve a team like that, > let alone his country. Like you said, > equity_analyst, I don’t even know if Joe D and > A-Rod are even in the same league. I’ll end my posts by saying this: As a Sox fan I respect the Yankees, I respect and wish we had Jeeter at shortstop, and I think A-Rod epitomizes what it means to be a classless individual. You’ll notice that A-Rod is already backpeddaling by throwing out some lame apology, seems he might even realize how studid he looks right now in the eyes of baseball fans, if you can believe that.

Does A-Job’s 2004 post-season numbers not count as “his four year body of work in the playoffs with the Yanks?” You didn’t include them in your numbers. Here’s some other numbers to look at, as long as we’re cherry-picking: AROD (post-season) since 2004 (OBP/SLG/OPS) .377/.436/.813 let’s compare that to: JETER (post-season) since 2004 (OBP/SLG/OPS) .345/.466/.811 OBP is believed to be roughly 3x more important as SLG in overall offensive value Not that BA is important, but Jeter is .279 over that same span (and he’s one of the highest paid players in the game!) Also interesting to note, by my calculations Jeter was paid roughly $80M by the Yankees during those 4 years while AROD was paid roughly $65M by the Yankees (somebody please correct me if I’m wrong on those numbers.) Note: I’m not making any judgment on AROD’s off-the-field behavior

Why is HoldSideAnalyst the only one in this topic who makes sense? Read what he has been saying again - judging his skills based on a few games rather than his entire body of work is foolish. I can’t stand A-Rod, personally. I am from Seattle, and listened to his “I want to play for a winner” crap until he went off to Texas to make as much money as he could. Obviously he wants to make the most of his opportunities, so to speak. But seriously…the guy is extremely talented. Without him, the Yankees probably would not have even made the playoffs this year. Look at his stats again, not just for this year, but for every season he’s been in the league. Incredible. His post-season numbers with Seattle were fine. I would love to see his team next year win the World Series so we’ll be able to read all of the “A-Rod couldn’t handle the pressure of NY” garbage that the media will be eager to spit out. Of course! That must be the reason! It couldn’t possibly be due to such an extremely small sample size, could it? But yes, please replace him with Mike Lowell. I’m sure that’ll get the Yankees over the hump. Don’t worry about building a decent rotation or getting everybody else to produce in the post-season. Why bother? Now that Rodriguez is gone, the Yankees are obviously a better team…