A second opinion, please.

I am a level 3 retaker. The first time I took level 3 I would have been more than surprised if I’d have passed it. I didn’t study enough, I just watched the Schweser videos, I didn’t do any EOC exercises. I didn’t read the CFAI books. I failed band 8. Even though I was more prepared this time, I don’t know if I will pass it. I feel my chances are 50/50. I will accept my fate without fear. But my thoughts after the exam are these: I was in my personal peak in terms of curriculum knowledge on June 4th, in June 3rd I wished I had two or three more weeks to do mock exams or practice exams. What if I failed the exam? Wouldn’t it be smart not to loose the knowledge and practice I already gained, the exam experience is fresh, I remember some of the questions, I could try to master some stuff in which I felt weak. What if I passed it? learning more will not hurt me, and the end of the day and without being servile to CFAI, isn’t this stuff about learning? So I took my CFAI books the other day and read them without pressure, without exam dates and with a relaxed attitude, I remembered why I chose to study finance and remembered that I am really passionate about my job and about the choice of doing the CFA stuff. So, I’ve thinking: Until august I will know the truth. But, meanwhile, reviewing the material will not hurt me, I will not dedicate my precious weekends to it, I will do it while commuting or waiting for the dentist… I think: Now I can really learn this stuff without feeling stressed and that feeling makes everything easier and more enjoyable my readings. I would like to know your thoughts about this attitude towards re-reading the material before August. Thanks.

If you like it do it. However, I would wait until August. I’m sure if I don’t pass it will be a tremendous amount of motivation for me. I put in a ton of work, but I always feel I can put in more.

Captain Britain?? Ok, but to the point… if you like the material and don’t have anything else to do, then sure - why not read the books again? I would rather be raped by a giant scorpion than read CFA books again right after the test. But I guess everyone is different.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Captain Britain?? > > Ok, but to the point… if you like the material > and don’t have anything else to do, then sure - > why not read the books again? I would rather be > raped by a giant scorpion than read CFA books > again right after the test. But I guess everyone > is different. +1 LOL. I feel the same way. I have packed all my books and ready to donate to a library this weekend. Pass or fail, I can’t bear the thought of opening them again.

What is everyone doing with their books? I literally have a bookshelf (a small one) filled with my Schweser and CFAI materials. Some guys here keep their Schweser stuff in their offices at work, but I don’t know if I want to do that…

My CFA textbooks and Schweser material are all in the office. I mostly don’t want them to take up space at home. Maybe I am your coworker.

I think it’s a great idea to re-read the curriculum if that’s what you want to do. Now that you’ve taken the exam, re-reading under a relaxed environment can really help to firm the ideas. Even if you don’t have to take the exam again, some of the information is great to know. I can’t tell you how many times at the last job I had something from the level 3 curriculum came up and I was able to respond, because of the studying I’d done. So go for it! I have my books down in my basement, where they are undergoing slow torture … mwah hahahahaha

They are great reference material. I have went back to my level 2 books quite often.

JP_RL_CFA, totally agree with you, great books that may be useful even after L3 pass

I would choose to read CFAI if i were forced to choose between that or being raped by anything…however…in real life, I have a young daughter and can think plenty of things to use my time in meaningful ways…but I wouldn’t not allocate any toward reading CFAI test book. As a reference reading, it might be ok but I am not sure if it’s really updated enough or deep enough for each specific subject area…keep it handy, yes…Am I gonna count on it where it really matters, NO, unless it’s specifically for exam purpose.

JP_RL_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They are great reference material. I have went > back to my level 2 books quite often. +1. I keep my books at work and use them as references frequently

bbraddock Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would like to know your thoughts about this > attitude towards re-reading the material before > August. > > Thanks. I think that is nuts. You should relax and enjoy the summer. Why dont you wait until August to start re-reading the material? Take a few months to chill.

Relax, decompress, etc. If I absolutely felt the need to do something, I think I would find other stuff related to what I was doing (or wanted to do) to help me become an expert in the field. The CFA curriculum has some great stuff, but its so generalized and spread out that I think time is better spent finding your area of expertise. The market is too competitive to be a generalist.

Thank you all. CFA Jay, CFA and joehogue; you are right. I am right now going to a bar with some friends to watch a game. I want beer and relaxation. I will forget all this CFA stuff for a while.

I wish I haven’t disposed of my level 2 textbooks, I totally can’t recall level 2 stuff.

You should do what you feel like doing the most. If you enjoy reading it then why not.

Bbraddock, One thing I’ve “loved” when I had to retake L3, it was how quickly i could remember most of the concepts. I would now enjoy life, think about studying in February next year. You’ll need to have a fresh mind to retain formulas and the like. Motivation is the key to success, your biggest asset as a CFA candidate. I hope my advice will be pointless; it would mean you passed. All the best

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Captain Britain?? > > Ok, but to the point… if you like the material > and don’t have anything else to do, then sure - > why not read the books again? I would rather be > raped by a giant scorpion than read CFA books > again right after the test. But I guess everyone > is different. how could someone have NOTHING else to do when yuo just put your life on hold for 6 months to study, aside from working???