Aberlour A'Bunadh

It’s been several weeks since I had a sip: I polished off the last bottle, and have been sick for a while, so I haven’t been able to dash off to BevMo.

Good stuff.

I don’t know what this is.

I think that if you don’t know how to pronounce it, you probably shouldn’t drink it.

Edit, for clarification - Not saying S2000 doesn’t know how to pronounce it. I didn’t know how to pronounce it.

I was consulting in Charlotte, NC for 16 months. A quarter mile south of the NC/SC border (on 521) is a liquor store that had a Scotch tasting every 2 - 3 weeks. I went there to buy a bottle of Yamazaki 18-year for a friend who was returning to Japan (Koji Yamasaki), and arrived on a day when they had a Scotch tasting; Aberlour A’Bunadh () was one of their offerings. It’s a cask strength (121 proof, 60.4 ABV) Speyside single-malt. Sippin’ whisky. Good stuff.

It’s a big sherried beastie!

Also Aberlour is pronounced differently than above, but I can’t figure out how to write it phonetically!

It’s something along the lines of A-Ber-Louwer

I grew up down the road.

I like scotch, but definitely need to widen my horizons in that area. I’ve had a lot of the most common brands/vintages (Macallan, Johnnie, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfidditch, etc.) but haven’t explored much further.

Side note: Why is it the standard to quote both proof and ABV? Is there a case where the “Proof = 2x ABV” relationship does not hold?

Possibly be something to do with the legislation around selling in different regions? I know the scotch i buy in scotland only comes with ABV.

Spotted this youtube playlist with the pronunciation of some distilleries. Was corrected myself at Caol Ila.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgDp83eJvo&list=PLRGM_t-5qMJr6Xy6N4_3iAhV0OYh5i8eX

Oh also, on a respectability scale of neat to glass full of ice, where are whiskey stones?

Right in the middle?

You’re correct, of course.

I was trying to simplify it. For 'Mericans.

dam u guys rich

and here I thought I was a BSD drinking Johnnie Walker…

I certainly don’t consider myself rich.

However, I own two horses (which I’m forced to board elsewhere); and I drink good Scotch almost daily.

Maybe I’m rich and don’t know it.

I have no idea: I am not a conneseur of blended Scotch.

This is awesome, Laphroaig seems to stump people the most. Aberlour rhymes with hour

Isn’t that like being a connoisseur of malt liquor…

ice < stones < water < neat

ice or water that’s below room temparture masks the flavour. in tranditional pubs in scotland there are small jugs of room temparture water on the bar for whisky drinkers. asking for ice would get you chibbed.

Is there a noticeable difference in taste between a grain whiskey and a malt whiskey to a beginner palate or is it only noticeable to connosieurs like Mr S2000?

For those who can’t YouTube and don’t have the benefit of being raised on Gaelic music.

http://simplyscotches.blogspot.com/2011/01/pronunciation.html

I’d say there is a pretty significant difference. If you drink a pure grain whisky (think Cameron Brig) next to a malt such as Dalwhinnie or Aberlour, you would notice it is very mild and subtle, maybe a little boring. It doesn’t tend to have the palatte of flavours etc.

That’s why many blended whiskies are a high percentage of grain whisky as it is a base that wont over power the finer stuff that is added later.

I have love for Dalwhinnie by the way, and Oban. Pretty easy to find over in the UK (not sure about AMERICA). I don’t understand this huge passion for smokie/peaty whisky that all the kids be drinking.