About Quantitative Methods for the Level I CFA Exam

This forum contains discussion of Quantitative Methods for the Level I CFA exam.

• Quantitative Methods is covered in Study Sessions 2 and 3
  • Quantitative Methods has an exam weight of 10%

Study Session 2

“This study session introduces quantitative concepts and techniques used in financial analysis and investment decision making. The time value of money and discounted cash flow analysis form the basis for cash flow and security valuation. Descriptive statistics used for conveying important data attributes such as central tendency, location, and dispersion are presented. Characteristics of return distributions such as symmetry, skewness, and kurtosis are also introduced. Finally, all investment forecasts and decisions involve uncertainty: Therefore, probability theory and its application quantifying risk in investment decision making is considered.”
Source: CFA Institute

Study Session 3

“This study session introduces the common probability distributions used to describe the behavior of random variables, such as asset prices and returns. How to estimate measures of a population (mean, standard deviation) based on a population sample is shown. The study session ends with a framework for hypothesis testing, used for validating dataset hypotheses, along with techniques to test a hypothesis.”
Source: CFA Institute

In a continuous Uniform Distribution one of the properties says:

P(x1<=X<=x2) = (x2-x1)/(b-a)

Can someone please explain to me the logic?