Acceptable suit/haircut

Or if you want to go trendy, you can always pop your collar. Or wear two or three shirts layered on top of each other, and you can do multi-colored multi-popped collars. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/jimbobado11/PoppedCollar.jpg

Florida_Gator Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Or if you want to go trendy, you can always pop > your collar. Or wear two or three shirts layered > on top of each other, and you can do multi-colored > multi-popped collars. > > http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/jimbobado11 > /PoppedCollar.jpg LMAO! hilarious. Is that you daj? jk

Flip flops and socks should be fine

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > braces from brooks, a nice shirt from pink, pastel > colors are hot. daytona on the wrist and you > should be all set! dont forget the dash of cool > water there is no need for a younger guy to wear a daytona on his wrist. that is a little over the top

Pull the company’s last annual report; there’s a photo of the CEO near the front. Dress like that. (Unless you’re interviewing with Ann Taylor or eBay.)

Florida_Gator Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Try to look as conservative and traditional as > possible. Anything that’s “hot” or “trendy” has a > high probability of making you look like a > douchebag. When I interview I only wear very > dark navy suit, crisp white shirt, $8 barbershop > medium fade 1 guard on sides 4 guard on top. i love this post.

The key is to wear suspenders and a belt, then you’ve got all your bases covered and the look that will put you on the fast track

Florida_Gator Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Or if you want to go trendy, you can always pop > your collar. Or wear two or three shirts layered > on top of each other, and you can do multi-colored > multi-popped collars. > > http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/jimbobado11 > /PoppedCollar.jpg I just bought 10 knockoff Polos off ebay and I wear half of them at a time. I recommend getting a spikey haircut like this kid and getting a girlfriend who’s too short for you and constantly have a look on your face like you just put a booger in her drink. Also, tell people you’re from Westport, CT even though you’re from New Jersey.

Good quality english shirt maker. Turnbull and Asser, Hilditch and Key, Thomas Pink, Charles Tyrwhitt, Paul Smith. You don’t have to be conservative, but try to be minimalist, Prada, zenga dark colors, navy, charcol, grey, no black. Shoes are important. Allen Edmond if money is tight, Italian shoe maker if money is not. Tie can be whimiscal Ferragamo Hermes, or just have good construction Charvet Kiton. Haircut: Short to medium. I have gone close cut but sported a 3-5" length as well. I work in the industry and that’s me. But honestly for a new hire, expectation are not high.

An armani suit and a good hair cut will be perfect.

buddha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Good quality english shirt maker. Turnbull and > Asser, Hilditch and Key, Thomas Pink, Charles > Tyrwhitt, Paul Smith. > I like a $200 shirt as much as the next guy, but is this necessary for a white job interview button-down? Show me the interviewer who can spot the difference between one of these and a $20 Paul Frederick special and I’ll show you an interviewer who will get uncomfortably close to you in the little boy’s room.

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > braces from brooks, a nice shirt from pink, pastel > colors are hot. daytona on the wrist and you > should be all set! dont forget the dash of cool > water Daytona? What are you, a retail broker? Also, cool water? Wow. Daj: http://regee.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/guido033pl.jpg (SFW)

consult hotchickswithdouchebags.com

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Daytona? What are you, a retail broker? Also, > cool water? Wow. got tired of the mariner

Dude, you’re just out of B-school and don’t have a job. If you’re buying $5,000 watches you’re a dumbass.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude, you’re just out of B-school and don’t have a > job. If you’re buying $5,000 watches you’re a > dumbass. wow, someone is sensitive today. it is called day trading and saving dough from summer internships. and take it easy, i was messing with you. this place is no place for people who cant laugh. go get your cranky pill, crankypants.

You don’t have a job and you’re saving dough? How does that work - you have enough of a capital base to day trade and save money?

These “acceptable attire” threads are ridiculous. If you don’t intuitively know what kind of clothes are appropriate in the workplace, you never will. It’s not that hard people, just don’t look out of place compared to others in the same firm, industry, area, etc

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You don’t have a job and you’re saving dough? How > does that work - you have enough of a capital base > to day trade and save money? . cmon - you can get a working rolly off the web for 4 large. you can splurge on a manhattan apt off craigs list for the summer or live with 4 desis in williamsberg and cop the ice…seriously, come on. gotta jump - red sox tonight and we need to pick up the lix

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that these threads are outright “ridiculous,” but I do feel that more attention is paid to them than is truly warranted sometimes. While I do enjoy sartorial discussion in the proper context, the reality is that you will generally be fine for your interviews as long as you come across as polished as you can possibly be. Experienced finance professionals can tell the difference between a $1,000 suit and a $100 one, but they won’t hold it against you if that’s the best you can do. Giving off the right vibe in interviews has much more to do with confidence and being comfortable in your own skin, rather than the label of your clothing. In my case, my current professional attire generally consists of a bespoke suit (charcoal, navy blue, and/or pinstripes), an ivory or light blue dress shirt, nice tie (usually Kiton, Charvet, or Borrelli), and black oxfords (Edward Green/Alden). I can actually afford these clothes from time to time now, and I enjoy wearing them, so I do. Does it really enhance my performance at an interview? Probably…I don’t think it has anything to do with the labels themselves, but the fact that I feel comfortable in them. I am comfortable with my personal appearance, which enhances my chances of doing well in an interview - simple as that. While I was in college and didn’t know better (or have much money), I went to my interviews wearing a fused navy blue suit, dress shirts that I bought on sale at Nordstrom’s, Kenneth Cole shoes with rubber soles, and some ties that I bought at Century 21 made by Italian designers I’d never even heard of. I think my entire interview ensemble cost me less than $400 back then (which sadly is less than what I paid for a single pair of dress shoes last month). However, I was still able to do well in interviews, and I’m sure there are people who spent even less on clothing that did even better than I did in terms of job recruiting. My whole point is that there is a certain preoccupation with fashion and appearance in this industry, and probably one that is a bit overblown. I won’t pretend that I don’t notice labels, because I do notice them and I personally like them. But clothes don’t make the man. And while there are a few rules to follow with respect to interviewing customs, I still believe that as long as you’re comfortable in whatever you’re wearing, you’ll be fine.