Acceptable work-experience

I know performance analyst will be OK. There’s someone in our back office who does performance analytics and reporting only who has the charter.

GIPS is performance analytics–I know someone who does this and has the charter–so I agree with EL-3. Why don’t you submit an application and see what happens? You don’t pay any $ until after you are granted either Affiliate or Regular membership. Cheers!

siushun, you don’t have to be doing the investment decision making - just be a part of it. If you are calculating performance/attribution numbers for the pm then you are helping him decide which investments to add/remove from his portfolios. I actually submitted about 6.5 years of work experience but the first 18 months spent as a portfolio administrator was rejected. Since leaving performance I’ve been working as a market risk analyst - basically building models to value OTC’s and run stress tests/VaR analysis.

Actually I will be a L3 candidate in 2008. :slight_smile: Apparently, I just try to get more information and see whether I should stay with my current job. Thanks all of your for the information. It’s very helpful to me.

I am an economist working with a big4 doing valuation for tax purposes. I am writing L3 in June 08. I did a damn good job at describing my functions but the CFAI rejected my work experience. Now I cannot edit my job description because it is frozen until my sponsors complete their online forms. Additionally, my sponsors already told me they will answer NO to the questions below. 6. Does the applicant construct and rebalance portfolios of assets (e.g., fixed-income and equity securities) for clients? Yes No 7. Does the applicant value and recommend assets (e.g., fixed-income and equity securities) for inclusion in portfolios? Yes No 8. Does the applicant spend at least 50% of his/her time engaging in one or a combination of the above activities? Yes No Is this the end of the journey for me? Any ideas?

georgenxd My sponsors answered no to all of those questions, and my application was accepted and I am now a regular member. If you have the reqd months of experience, then I would suggest getting your sponsors to complete their forms and wait for the rather long process to allow you to edit your experience already submitted. Alternatively, you can also fax them more work experience details on one of their forms - possibly an ‘upgrade’ form. I did this WHILST my experience was being reviewed. Admittedly I was adding a firm that I worked for, and not amending wording, but still worth a shot.

Thanks chj101!! It’s great to hear from people like you whose experience was accepted even though your sponsors answered NO to those questions. I will try to expand my descrition by faxing an upgrade form.

Thanks Yogesh and all. Unfortunately my abovementioned job experience has not been accepted for more than 2 weeks. My current job of 2 years (in Investment Banking) was immediately accepted within a couple of days. I am writing to CFAI for last 2 weeks but no reply yet "except the autoresponse that we are researching your query. I called them up also but the person told me that “on this membership matter”, they will communicate by email only. Would appreciate any views/advice.

Their email-handling process indeed seems opaque and lethargic at times. I sent a revised WE description ~2 weeks ago and just yesterday got acknowledgment that they had received it; no telling when they’ll get around to reviewing it. It would be very nice if they at least dropped a note when they reviewed changes so we would know when it would be time to send in the next iteration. :-/

Is there a way to tell if the work experience has been reviewed and rejected versus not reviewed yet?

Does anyone know if you can submit work experience before passing all 3 exams, and if CFA Institute will accept/reject it at that time? I just passed LI, but want to make sure my work experience will qualify before starting studying again…

you certainly can, if it’ll match to what they are looking for, they will accept it

What’s the worst case senario? If they don’t accept it, can you change it and re-word it? Or are you doomed forever to what you submitted the first time…

You can change it at a later date. Sometimes they freeze the job description field upon initial review (sometimes they don’t) and may ask you to have your sponsors to submit their forms and then allow you to make changes. You can always submit an update form with any further changes for them to review.

they suggest you email updates to the cm-services email address and they’ll manually update it – takes a few weeks tho.

Just an fyi for those who have yet to apply online. I started a week ago monday and was completed and submitted last thusday. I checked this morning and my work was accepted. That seems like a pretty quick turnaround.

Wow. I submitted (updated WE, via email) end of August; two weeks later got an email that they had received it; notice today my total months of WE has been increased, but no change in accepted months. Spoke to CSR on phone; she confirms that putting new WE into system is a separate process from review of WE. Also a new position that I added is _not_ visible on the tabular summary of employment positions (https://www.cfainstitute.org/finsecustomer_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=Login&SWEPL=1&SWETS=, hit Work Experience tab), so the latter appears to be frozen forever. :frowning:

i was just wondering if the institute will take in work experience gained by self employed personal. People like traders, who might just sit at home and trade and its their full time job! or even if someone is managing their own money on the side?

Okay, here’s a new one for me. Here’s my recent chronology. + submit revised WE (via email) in late august + 2 weeks later, get the standard form-letter email response saying they got it + 1 week later, notice that my “month submitted” has changed. Speak to CSR, they indicate this means my revised WE was put into the system. No schedule for when review of it would occur. + 1 week later: Now my status page shows this after the ‘Months Accepted’ tally: (After work experience is entered, there may be a brief delay before this box is checked.) …so maybe this means someone is actually starting to review my revised WE. Or maybe (like usual) it means nothing.