Accomplishments - 1 of 2 from June-August

I accomplished one of my goals for August by losing the 15 “CFA lbs” I gained studying for the exam. I have not though much about the exam since two weeks after, but people are all asking me now, and i am back checking the forum. Started thinking again about those 3 or 4 multiple choice i changed from correct to incorrect hoping that is not the difference. Morning essay is a crap shoot since i didn’t start the last question and blew the IPS answers (hopefully alot of the work leading up will have some partial credit), but other than that felt somewhat decent. Now just a few days to see if goal #2 gets accomplished. Good Luck to All !!!

wow! how’d you do it?

If you built up 15 CFA lbs, you probably did ok in the test.

I was given 2 boxes of Haribo gummy bears for christmas (5lbs each)… I haven’t weighed myself since December…

Am back on track again! Started swimming this morning and go running after work. Plus all the ballet and tap dances are doing some good to my figure as well. I just hope I don’t need to give it all up again next year…

How the heck did you gain 15lbs? I mean, if you did not have time to work out studying, you just can purposely reduce the amount you eat. (Ideally you lose apptite accordingly since you do not work out.) In any case, good luck to you all!

i cant gain 5 pounds… not even talking about 15

zigy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How the heck did you gain 15lbs? I mean, if you > did not have time to work out studying, you just > can purposely reduce the amount you eat. (Ideally > you lose apptite accordingly since you do not work > out.) Actually, this is often not the case. If you are working a demanding job and studying, you probably have to make some cuts – I would bet most people are losing out on sleep as well, let alone working out. Sleep deprivation, in addition to stress, causes the body to release additional cortisol. This is a double whammy since the hormone cortisol causes you to gain weight, and also gives you an incredible craving for carbs (not good for the waistline). After you return to a normal schedule, the weight usually comes off pretty quickly (for most people). I didn’t gain 15 lbs, but I definitely packed a few pounds on. Anyway, for me, the CFA was more of a physical battle than a mental battle. The material was easy, but oh boy did I have to make sacrifices to put the hours in.

>If you are working a demanding job and studying, you probably have to make some cuts – I would bet most people are losing out on sleep as well, let alone working out. This is exactly why I started studying very early in order to spread out study time. People told me I would forget, but not the case. Repeating makes it knowledge rather than memory. Well, everybody has own learning style so whatever works for ya. That being said, I did not have 80hr work week so I have enormous amount of respect to people who managed busy schedule, along with parents of multiple kids.

Basically it all adds up over 6 months. Gym time decreases, appetite increases from stress coupled with just sitting at a desk for hours on end which leads to snacking for no good reason. I have three kids 7, 5, and 1.5 so studying goes well into the night leading to late night grazing. It does come off, however with trips to the gym before office hours and lunchtime cardio. Not to mention smaller portions and no snacking in the evening. Hopefully this will be the last year this happens and can maintain a more normal routine.

zigy … you are such a buzzkill … lighten up …

I lost 15 pounds at level II. Its pretty hard to gain taking the CFA. Eating regularly definetly is dealth a serious blow during my studying routine, particularly since I generally don’t purchase fast food under any scenario. At level III I maintained my weight pretty good by going to the gym and freezing food a month or so in advance in preparation for the extensive study time immediately before the exam. Now that the test is over, I’ve gained back about 8 pounds of what I lost at Level II.

The CFA charterholders among the CFA Institute Board of Governors set the MPS each year using a combination of performance metrics—70 percent of the maximum points, 70 percent of the top paper, 70 percent of the top 10 papers, and 70 percent of the top 1 percent of papers—and analysis of candidate and examination data. In addition, at levels I and II, the results of a standard setting workshop, described in the following paragraph, are used as one of the criteria. The Board of Governors also commissioned a small group of charterholderscharterholders to review Level III examinations and results and recommend the appropriate MPS. In 1996, a methodology for arriving at the MPS—the Angoff Standard Setting Method—was introduced to the CFA Institute Board of governors. The Angoff method was specifically developed for multiple choice examinations and has been employed as a supplemental criterion for the establishment of the MPS for the Level I examination since that time and for Level II beginning in 2005. CFA Institute retains psychometricians—experts in the design and measurement of examinations—to conduct standard setting workshops. Workshop participants are practicing CFA charterholders. These individuals participate in a systematic process that adheres to sound psychometric practice and typically yields a workable range of MPS values. It should be extremely comforting for both charterholders and candidates to note that the results of the standard setting workshops have been remarkably consistent with previously utilized performance metrics (e.g., 70 percent of the top 1 percent, etc.).

>zigy … you are such a buzzkill … lighten up … I will remember that. Good luck next year. You can start studying without registering, you know.