Accounting PHD

I heard accounting phds are easy to be placed with high compensation. Is it a good route to get away from volatile market?

Accountants: all the personality of an actuary with none of the math skills… Seriously though, I think an accounting phd would be a pretty safe bet.

mh7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Accountants: all the personality of an actuary > with none of the math skills… > > Seriously though, I think an accounting phd would > be a pretty safe bet. I like to think of myself as having a good personality, but then again I am a borderline alcoholic and am partially addicted to jagerbombs…but hey it makes for a fun time.

i cant imagine why a PHD in accg would be any use? happy to be proven wrong - but what is your thesis going to be on - finding a 3rd method of doing cash flows??? an accountant with additional business quals (eg MBA) would be far more useful to a company - assuming that is they have a CPA/CA qual. my 0.02 anyway.

mh7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Accountants: all the personality of an actuary > with none of the math skills… > this was pretty funny - i respect accountant friends, but this would get a chuckle even out of them

I did follow up on accounting phds from standford B-school: the best program. More than 50% are not at their placement school after 6 years – it is interesting that they talk about accounting phds is in great shortage.

Standford?

do you want to teach long term?

I’m still traumatized by all the time I put in to study pooled interest vs purchase accounting only to have pooled interest disappear. Imagine doing a Ph.D. in something that can just go away.

Yes. Stanford. I also looked at UT austin. Check those graduated in late 90s. Most of them didn’t make tenure at their original placements. Some become associate professors and then become adjunct associate professor after a couple year (lost tenure because didn’t become full professor?). Some stay on as assistant professors after 10 years. Some become lecturers or visiting assistant professors of other lower ranked schools. It seems the current shortage of accounting professors are because fewer made tenures. Is it?

I’m taking a master’s level accounting class now, and it’s more like a law class than accounting. Don’t know how other graduate level accounting classes compare, though.

stupid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes. Stanford. I also looked at UT austin. Check > those graduated in late 90s. Most of them didn’t > make tenure at their original placements. Some > become associate professors and then become > adjunct associate professor after a couple year > (lost tenure because didn’t become full > professor?). Some stay on as assistant professors > after 10 years. Some become lecturers or visiting > assistant professors of other lower ranked > schools. > > It seems the current shortage of accounting > professors are because fewer made tenures. Is it? I’m not aware of a faculty member going from associate to adjunct “because they didn’t become full”. Once tenured, you don’t lose it unless you get caught cavorting with an undergrad on the quad with TWO major networks filming (all conditions are necessary - if there’s only one network there, you’ll keep your job). At top schools, most new assistants fail to get tenure. In most cases, they get a good amount of work published, but just not enough for tenure. Even then, they typically work 70-80 hours a week as assistants. If they fail te get tenure, they just move to another school at the same or lower point on the academic food chain that counts their earlier work. The vast majority get tenured at their second positions. My advisor once said that the worst job in academia is an untenured assistant professor at a top research school- pressure, long hours, arrogant colleagues, etc…). At the same time, the BEST academic job possible was a tenured full professor job at a top school (low teaching loads, working with top students, working on topics you like). Accounting AND finance phd’s from top schools get placed at top schools. The competition is fierce at that level to get into grad school (GMATS well into the mid700s, good math background, etc…). Even those that end up at “nearly top-tier” do very well. Schools ranked 20-40 currently pay in the neighborhood of $200K for total compensation. The key in getting an accounting PhD is that there’s less transferability out of academia (finance folks regularly go to Wall Street). So, it’s important to make sure that the academic lifestyle (with its focus on research) is what you want.

<>> + 1

Re: Accounting PHD new Posted by: daj224 (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: September 30, 2008 01:51PM <>> + 1 - - - - - +1 as well - - so you want to research? I personally could not see myself going into academia until my 60s / 70s as I really would like to make an impact and perform in the finance world before going back to teach.

The market for 60/70 year old assistant professors is even worse than the market for mortgage brokers and equity analysts.

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > +1 as well - - so you want to research? > > no man. i was just agreeing with sentiment. I have some buddies that went stright from MBA to phd. i am done with school for ever.

Busprof, Thanks for your insightful answer. Is there an age limit to enter this field. Say somebody in late 30s with substantial experience that want to apply for this business school phd. Will that put him in disadvange against people in their 20s? Will top b-school hires him/her?