Accounting Warning Signs

1. Was change in inventory procedures a red flag: I said no: They made things more efficent, they didn’t play with the books. 2. What was the least likely red flag? I said the change in the pension discount rate: It made their penision expense higher which gave a better earnings quality… Am I right? At this point I don’t even know if I bubbled in my name correctly…

I think they had a FIFO Liquidation- that would effect earnings quality, bringing older (cheaper) inventory into COGS

1. They lowered the LIFO reserve thereby artificially inflating their earnings. 2. Agree, pensions no problem

Least like were pensions. I think they lowered the discount rate which made pensions expense more.

1 was a red flag, dipping into old inventory to reduce cogs, agree with 2.

^^ I’m with you here.

the question asked if it was a warning sign, not actually manipulation - so i put yes for a warning sign. iforget the rest of the Q

MarkvanOmmen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 1. They lowered the LIFO reserve thereby > artificially inflating their earnings. > 2. Agree, pensions no problem agreed

If the cmpany had used the same Inventory accounting practices as the other company would the company have increased its inventory holdings by 15 million??

it was 35M 15M would have been the change in LIFO reserve, which is used for COGS

ravisank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If the cmpany had used the same Inventory > accounting practices as the other company would > the company have increased its inventory holdings > by 15 million?? I don’t think so. I believe it was they would increase by the LIFO reserve, which I think was like 35 million? It was tricky because they gave you the LIFO reserve and the change in the LIFO reserve as options in the answer choices. I think 15 million was the change in the LIFO reserve, but you would use the actual LIFO reserve to get the higher inventory. Anyone agree?

i put 35

whatz the final answers to those two: LIFO liquadation…increase the COGS then reduce the taxable income??

yeah, 35 mil increase to inventory

Damn… I should have read the question better and seen they were talking about the reserve and not the inventory…

Me: 35

I remember a question in qbank or in the fsa book that said something to the effect… A lifo liquidation it is not always manipulative. Say you changed your inventory strategy to better reflect current industry practices… you reduce inv and dip into the LIFO reserve a bit, but the intent was to improve efficiency not manipulate margin. So not really a red flag in that case.

My chances are getting worse by the minute.

slouis- what would’ve been a good answer there then? i don’t remember that q well at all.

I feel the same, I have to get the f out of here.