Ace's Training Thread.....(not for snowflakes)

wow, aggressive 1st mile! How did the rest of the 10k feel after that?

^ averaged 7:38 up to about mile 3 and then I fell into my cruising pace of low 8 (where I’m hardly working). Ive noticed that it takes effort to get below an 8 min mile then it takes lots of effort to get below 7 and to get a low 6 is max effort.

Wow that is a tough way to run a 10K. Sounds like your pace dropped off pretty fast, which is tough to get back once you have to slow that dramatically down. However I did read through the Distance Running Advice thread again and saw you were advocating the “go out hard and then hang on for dear life” strategy, so at least you’re practicing what you preach. Can’t fault you for that.

In other news, I’m curious to know how ACE did in his 5K. I saw in the Distance Running Advice thread that he claimed to have run the 5th Ave Mile in 5:48 with no training, so I looked up the NYRR website and can verify that it is in fact true that he ran a 5:48 a few years ago. So the guy does have a legit claim to a running background.

The girl in front of me said we ran about an 18:20. I was in the second group and she would have been 3rd overall in women (it wasn’t a fast race), but there were about 15 of us who missed the last turn towards the finish line. We ran an extra 4min loop and that was one of the worst feelings I have ever experienced in my life. I really tried to amp it up at 2.5mi and really started to die when I hit somewhere around 3.5mi. What a horrible mind fuck.

I was really really really pissed that they didn’t put a sign at the final turn or have someone guide people at the last bit. I talked to the race director and there wasn’t much he could do.

Anddd I have no legit time and you don’t believe me because it’s online or something I know I know I get it, but that’s life… so

Until next time…

Yeah that 5:48 was the result of a $50 bar bet days before the race that week with a friend that ran track at Indiana University. I didn’t think he would break 6. But he did. I still beat him by 7 seconds at 195lbs.

I’ve been pretty pissed about this all day. I saw the awards and I would have been 1st in age group, which is a bummer because usually I would have to break 16min or something for a big race for a chance at 1st.

But, I’ve tried to think of the positives:

a) Attained race experience. I went through my gear, adjusted my diet, did a mediocre warmup, set up everything as needed. The more routine things are for me, the more I can focus on performance.

b) Pushed myself a little harder than normal in running. Today definitely hurt. I frequently wanted to slow down in pace, but held on.

So, I guess I’m a stronger runner, which is the main goal, not a time, but that was real cruel. We used to do mind games like that to people on runs in the military…

@GOAB well, if they gave out awards for who suffers the hardest in a race, with your strategy you would win every time! Im tempted to try it just as a training exercise in guts!

@ACE Im a little confused how you and the girl ran about 18:20 but also added on an extra 4min? Anyway, indeed, well done on the race experience. If you did actually run at the pace it takes to run 18:20 that is pretty impressive given your inexperience with this sort of running. Sounds like you paced yourself well!

Did you swoop any chicks with your 14% body fat and your defined guns after the race? :wink:

I wouldn’t say I’m inexperienced with 5K runs. I did run 3 seasons of XC, one season as a D1 XC walk on in college. That’s all we used to run … 5Ks… I was probably the top ten worst in D1 XC with most of my times at 18:XX, but still did a handful of races and started right next to the best of them.

I am lacking in training though at that distance and it’s certainly not my best distance currently.

I didn’t have the stats tracking on my watch but she had a better idea than me. She was a steady runner that probably runs the same pace give or take all the time. Not sure if she knew 100% or not.

Yeah there were definitely some hot chicks there. I ran the whole race with my shirt off and my number on my butt with headphones/hat/sunglasses. I really started to overheat at about 3.5 miles or so, horrible horrible feeling.

My thoughts are typically churning all the time and I was doubting every aspect of my training as I’d never felt such a hard 2mi - 3.1mi split. It began to twist my reality. As a runner, you have a general idea of distance and speed and I was just in such a bad place those final moments.

Like, at around 2.5 mi, I was thinking… I’m going to pass these 10 people in front of me including that chick when I see the finish line in a sprint. And the finish line never came. How frustrating.

I’m thinking of another 5K Saturday as a mulligan. Ehhhh I didn’t even mean to get into these 5Ks, but I’ve been thinking it might be good endurance training for the heart of the mile. I’m nervous about muscle loss as I’m already at about 176lbs today and if I focus on race training again and go light on muscle work, I very well could be 174lbs by Sunday.

Im going to have to think about it, but need to book another hotel if I go. It’s an even smaller race, so not sure.

where was the after party?

At my pool, just like every other holiday. I scoped it out, just the typical wasted 20 year old chicks being dumb. They would start jumping up and down every time I passed by on my skateboard. I did 90min of riding in my anger, to vent. I didn’t feel like babysitting any 22 year olds that day and didn’t hang out with them.

My complex is one of the nicest luxury apartments in my city, but there are definitely some ragers at this place. Yesterday, things got so wild like usual there was crap everywhere, broken glass in the pool, so they had to drain it and close it today.

A couple months ago some hammered mid 20s chick followed me up to my door and I was like do you need something? She was like ‘yeah’ and started giggling, then walked into my living room and passed out on my couch the whole night. what the fuck. She went to the bathroom once and was in there for probably 40 minutes and I didn’t know if she ODed or something and the door was cracked, so I walk in and she’s just half naked falling asleep on the toilet trying to piss. She sees me and she’s like ‘heyyyy it’s all good’ - another wtf, I shut the door and had to pass out but wrote her a note and she later texted me when she left that she was ok.

Meanwhile I have 2 new neighbors and they are both early 20s cute/hot chicks. One of them already gave me ‘the look’ so I’m f’ed. I try to avoid her.

Ill probably be ruined in a couple months by one of these chicks or in jail because I was unknowingly riding dirty with them one night when they get clipped for speeding and searched, or something like that.

Solid effort. Certainly puts my and BS’s running abilities to shame.

Yeah, 18:xx is speedy…22:xx not so much. Do you know your splits?

On the 4th I was at a stop light on Fairmount Ave after dropping our nanny off and saw a mid-20s woman attempting to remove her sunglasses from hair for over 5 minutes. BAC infinity.

lol - I brought it back in April when I went snowboarding in Colorado for nationals. Creeper level: 10/10 haha

It’s not so much the beard that’s creepy as it is the unibomber ensemble surrounding it.

haha yeah priceless

My sister saw your first photo and thought New Jersey fuq boiiii

So the answer to “what’s more creepy than a unibomber impersation?” is… showing your sister pics of random shirtless dudes on the internet.

haha it was a long drive to sf. and af was insulted. lol. we are not a bunch of nerds!

Im not entirely random as Nerdy and I hung out in LA for a minute last year. Also, there are no shirts off in this thread yet.

I can change that, iheartiheartmath, if you wish.

My current 12mph pace songs:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8E6N5Nzec

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=liZm1im2erU

​​​​​​​

The Marshmellow song has my stride slightly longer, A$AP is pretty near perfect BPM for me to hold 12mph.

I do songs with higher and lower BPM at 12mph for training. My left leg has been tweaking out lately and I have some sort of light runners knee. I think just a 2 day thing. I can still kick the heavy bag, so that’s good. I actually have been feeling better if I do a run before a heavy bag session as it seems to flush out my legs.