Ace's Training Thread.....(not for snowflakes)

Don’t drag me into this.

You all are officially on notice. I completed day three of fat camp today. Self esteem = not good. That said, the last time I met Ace I beat him in arm wrestling so I am the reigning champ which is all that really matters.

BS is correct. He is the reigning AF arm-wrestling champ. Well done, sir. What are your goals - what are you training for? Just to stay in shape?

My main goal is to gain my self respect back. I’m just giving you a hard time, I was actually worried I imagined that because most of the night blurred together for me, haha. I would like to start trail running again this winter but for now I’m just trying to get un-fat then go from there. I’m on my fifth consecutive day at the gym from being the most out of shape I’ve ever been, pretty demoralizing stuff. Anyhow, maybe I’ll try to catch up with you skiing sometime, I forgot you boarded.

KMD, you should try getting into bouldering at a rock gym if you have the spare time for a hobby. With your build and mentality I think you’d take to it pretty quickly and really love the intangibles of it. There’s a couple good rock gyms in Philly.

Yeah snowboarding is fun. I thought I might have a shot at qualifying for the X Games, but got crushed in Nationals this year. I’m a bit more into freeriding than competition now it seems. Snowboard competitions are just so much waiting. Waiting the whole day for a minute on the race course.

Most competitors were 19-23 in Men’s Open Pro Boardercross. They had multiple coaches and travel on tour to different events. The coaches were waxing their boards in between heats and you could tell how tight the teams were. The US, Canadian, and Australian national teams were there.

But, I’ll probably see these competitors on the list for Beijing 2022 and it will be cool that I competed with them.

It was tough for me this year because I had to make a realistic assessment of if I had the chance to train and get to their level in the future. It is unlikely. I’m typically the fastest snowboarder on the mountain at any given time, but these guys were top in the nation and were able to consistently carve out a few seconds on the turns that just left me in the dust.

There was this one outlier though. 50 year old dude racing in Men’s Open Pro - killing it. He was hilarious. A bit of an inspiration to me. I don’t think he medaled but hung with the best and had a great time. Maybe someday. It’s hard for me not to focus on medaling and just to have a good time. It’s also brutal carving out the time to train and compete in these races.

I hadn’t been to boardercross nationals since 2000 and the scene has changed a lot. Boardercross became an Olympic event in 2006 and they have boardercross coaches now that are full time for up and coming athletes. It used to be a fun sport back in the day, now it’s very competitive.

I think being back in training has boosted my testosterone. My road rage has reached completely irrational levels. :confused:

Anyone doing Crossfit ?

Ace I’ll beat your ass in MT any day .

What is MT?

My resting BPM went down to 46 earlier in the week, but is hanging around 47 BPM. It has been steadily falling since 6/25 @ 53 BPM. I would think from here though it will get incrementally harder for me to get to 46 and stay there.

Muay Thai bro

Also, to add, I know resting BPM isn’t a perfect correlation with increases in cardio levels, but based on my training, think it is a visible sign of improvement for me as there are certain cardio exercises I do that have a specific count or time, which are improving.

Additionally, a person with a 52 might be faster than someone with a 42 (with the same height weight etc), so you never know your optimal number as it varies by individual, but I have read that decreases are often signs of cardiovascular improvement (but not always).

really.

Well my RHR is currently 54 (I checked)… but also I just had a vasodilator called Bulleit Bourbon so that explains the elevation. Mine was 47 the other day though.

Anyway…kudos on the bradycardia. Enjoy.

when I’m doing cardio at the gym, my level of intensity and duration looks completely insane. I get eyebrows raised and wtf looks at my one side gym, but at planet fitness i feel like I get these space alien looks.

I usually mix in weights anytime after the warm up. Lately @176lbs have been doing 90lb flat bench dumbbell and dumbbell lat pull 100lbs, 5-8 super sets. I could go a little higher on weight especially on the lats, but am comfortable here.

Usually after warm up I do single arm Arnold presses at 60lbs for reps. Usually I’m at 3-6. I can go up to 65 or 70, but only when I’m feeling real fresh. I don’t want to mess up my shoulders. Sometimes I drop town to 40-45lb dumbbells after that and do arm curls to s Arnold press, real slow. Then on the curl decline, a constant slow decline to about 90 degrees for armbar defense training. Hold for 20 seconds or so at 90 then decline to bottom.

3-5 pound punching reps, maybe for 3min

I mix in cardio with this, mainly kickboxing, speed rope, 8 count bodybuilders as speedrope rest, plank elbows to fists continuously for speedrope rest, flutterkicks, scissor kicks, neck up downs (yes’es), neck side to sides (no’s) neck shoulder to shoulder, then water break.

Thats 1 rep.

lol - I speed rope as much as possible in between especially if I start to get tight, I have found specific BPMs to loosen up like chill reggae (Steel Pulse - Worth his Weight in Gold)

damn that was a TLDR wasn’t it - oh well - on my phone

Planet fitness though only goes up to 75 so I typically go for reps there.

I’ve been having a real battle with electrolytes lately. This enhanced level of fitness makes me run very hot and I just spray water everywhere (sweat).

Which means my electrolyte depletion can be significant and I have been going through cans of powdered Gatorade, but the packaging is horrible as I have to separate the mix, so tried those Mio spray ins and they are gross. Tastes like chemicals to me. I saw some Propel and tried that today which seems ok, and they come in those little packets which I can pour in. I’m not taking a canister of gatorade powder with me, that’s ridiculous.

Get Tailwind for electrolytes and some simple calories. Stuff works great.

On most days I’ve been running without a shirt around my local trails, and even though I’m in good shape I always feel a little self-conscious at the beginning of my runs. But lately I’ve been envisioning ACE doing his crazy@ss wacky workouts around town and how he dgaf what people think about him and I’m like why can’t I be like that too, so I just go out and flaunt it and feel good about myself.

Yeah you just gotta go with it and have fun. It makes the workouts fly by and I usually just do what I feel like in general with macro goals and it usually seems to workout.

Chicks definitely love that stuff too, so all is good.

Thanks bro, I’ll check it out.

What are simple calories?

Tomorrow I have my first all out 400s workout…and can I just say:

I AM NERVOUS

I’m both anxious about the times I will be able to hit but also because max effort = max pain :neutral_face:

To summarise my training so far:

*half ironman targeted training

*NOT a lot of fast all out efforts in running

*Lots of tempo work such as 4 x 1 mile in ~6:50.(or to put in ACE language about 9 miles/ hour)

*cycling about 4 times a week w/ its own esoteric program

*swimming twice a week

*Very efficient running program with mostly specific runs with a point (very few “just go out and run 5 miles” kind of training) long runs, tempo training, VO2 max intervals

So, lets see if doing everything BUT run really fast has been successful in making me fast! Would love to see some 75s which would be SOLID at this point in the game. I actually have notes from when I was a collegiate runner 2 decades ago. I have notes on a workout I did right before I got my best ever 4:54 in the 1500m . It has me hitting 400s in about 75 :wink: