Adding a Qualitative Top to Resume

I’m hoping for some recommendations from those with stronger soft skill set, perhaps MBA grads. How to emphasize and highlight slightly more abstract skill set along the lines of strategic thinking/problem-solving/decision-making without using these cliches and generic b-s words? how to add some color and appeal to a resume which showcases technical skills and at the same time avoid the impression that the best fit for you is to be kept in cage in the basement and occasionally prodded with a stick to increase coding speed. and i’m not making fun of 1morelevel’s thread, it’s a genuine question which can help people who undermine their chances by over-emphasizing quantitative skills.

Talk about how you worked with others or collaborated/led on a project in your bullets which resulted in “x” (but don’t use variables). Show, don’t tell.

Use catch phrases like “Grew brand equity by 200%.” I just read that you’re serious. Demonstrating management and leadership skills is something I’d try and mention.

On a resume, teamwork and marketing/presentations skills are the things you want to emphasize. In an interview, you want to mention that there is all this quantitative work that you do, but then add that there are qualitative factors that you have to incorporate too, and give an example. Extra good would be to mention a qualitative factor, and then offer a possible quantitative way to get at it.

Mention any role you had as a consultant with your internal clients.

I’ll let you borrow two sentences from mine if I can borrow two from yours.

You should include your AF name (Mobius Striptease) at the top. Will give employers the impression of qualitative attributes like playfulness, wit, and maybe leadership (of clowns) but at the same time showing that you have superior and highly developed quantitative skills.

I’ve sent one cv & covering letter on Sunday night. It is the first I have sent for 3/4 years and it is for a senior position. I received a response from the company for interview yesterday evening on my personal email addy. Yes, 3 days from send button to response. You never know, but I was sli I have always had a decent strike rate in getting face time. So I will give you the benefit of how I have my CV structured as I am obviously doing something right to be considered. 1. Use action words. Mine is littered with them. Presenting. Managing. Representing. Analysing. Delivering. Producing. Writing. Conducting. Attending. And a whole bunch more. 2. Use figures to support your achievements - for example, I was responsible for servicing institutional clients with a value of $24bn (see what I did there. The $24 bn is your organisations, but you have shown that you have i. soft skills e.g. client facing, and ii. that you have done it in a company of significant worth. i.e. a real company that trusts you to do this. This is a bit like a friend introducing you to a girl. It is a lot easier as you get an informal confirmation that you are probably alright. For your needs, without knowing the actual detail, I would add in things like: - Conducting strategic research and communicating results to senior management of institutional investors (CIO/CEO level) - Delivering thought leadership presentations to industry organisations, representing $MM AUM - Leading MBA team on $$ bn project analysis and presenting to Board of Directors etc Don’t feel shy to bring in others onto your cv… And so on and so forth. Hope that helps.

good tips mudda

usually resumes and cvs are screened by hr before being sent to the hiring manager so be sure to use their key phrases: “value creation/added” “interpersonal skills” “team collaboration/effort” “mutual” “goal minded/oriented” “process optimization” “delivering” “producing” “driving” “minimal redundancy/overlap” a phrase may look like this -> “In the first quarter I drove a mutual team effort of delivering on goal-oriented process optimizations, creating value for the partners by reducing overlap through minimizing redundancies.” does this really say what you did - no - but to hr its fking GOLD!!!

> > “In the first > quarter I drove a mutual team effort of delivering > on goal-oriented process optimizations, creating > value for the partners by reducing overlap through > minimizing redundancies.” Pure genius. By the time I finished the sentence I forgot how it started. If I read this statement in a resume, I would love to meet the guy who wrote it, just to take a look at his face.

Quantify an achievement and follow it up with how you did it qualitatively Improved revenues by 100% in Q42009 by introducing a new product to…

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m hoping for some recommendations from those > with stronger soft skill set, perhaps MBA grads. > How to emphasize and highlight slightly more > abstract skill set along the lines of strategic > thinking/problem-solving/decision-making without > using these cliches and generic b-s words? > > how to add some color and appeal to a resume which > showcases technical skills and at the same time > avoid the impression that the best fit for you is > to be kept in cage in the basement and > occasionally prodded with a stick to increase > coding speed. and i’m not making fun of > 1morelevel’s thread, it’s a genuine question which > can help people who undermine their chances by > over-emphasizing quantitative skills. Because I like you I went back and I looked at my resume and found this non-BS yet useless statement: Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) - 2008. Hope this helps you escape your cage :slight_smile:

I put under “Key qualifications:” “The last three managers to hire me got promotions and raises within two months.” “The last HR manager to select my resume received a 50% bonus.”

Bump. I’m interested in this (pardon my sarcasm above). While I’m aiming at a quantitative focused position, I continually get asked about my leadership, teamwork, and dispute resolution skills. I’m wondering if I should include a short bullet point to further illustrate off the cuff.