Advice for finance student needed

Hey Guys! I need your advice concerning which way to go with my career. I know that it may sound silly for most of you guys, but for me it looks like a serious problem: My background: I am a finance major at a European University (Master program). I took the CFA Level I exam last June and I am preparing now for the CFA Level II exam this year. I am really into finance, I just love this stuff. My problem: While I really like to work with theoretical finance problems, I have some doubt if I fit in the finance industry. I just did an M&A related internship at a BIG4 company (Transaction Services) and I felt like I did not fit in. I would describe myself as a very liberal personality that is very interested in music, literature and so on. However, most of the guys in my team during the internship were pretty conservative and had very different interests and hobbies. Although I tried my best, I had some trouble to establish a personal relationship to most of my team members. I know that my team was not necessarily representative for the whole finance industry, but I think that I would have some trouble to work in a “conservative” environment. My question: Let’s say money is not the most important thing. What kind of areas, companies, organizations and professions do you know, where it would be possible to combine finance related work at a high analytical level with a liberal, maybe intellectual environment? The only things that come into mind so far are teaching and working for an organization like the OECD. I you have any other ideas I would really appreciate it. Any input is appreciated! CFAStudentNow

Do you mean you didn’t like the nature of the duties performed or the work environment/corporate culture ? I’m also heading towards the M&A route and Ive done some research on what to expect at work. Number crunching, analysis etc is what I really want to do and I think the M&A is all about that at the start. I think some big companies are suffering from, if I can say so, employee alienation. Most of the people are overloaded with work, so the only think they care for is career growth. If you place much importance on relationships, then look for a smaller/boutique company. Personal interaction at my current company, which by the way is very small, are very important. It is so liberal that initially it was hard for me to believe such companies exist.

CFAStudentNow, I am preparing for L1 and am looking for finance courses in Europe. Could you please give some insights on European finance degree(masters) courses?

CFAStudentNow Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Guys! > > I need your advice concerning which way to go with > my career. I know that it may sound silly for most > of you guys, but for me it looks like a serious > problem: > > My background: I am a finance major at a European > University (Master program). I took the CFA Level > I exam last June and I am preparing now for the > CFA Level II exam this year. I am really into > finance, I just love this stuff. > > My problem: While I really like to work with > theoretical finance problems, I have some doubt if > I fit in the finance industry. I just did an M&A > related internship at a BIG4 company (Transaction > Services) and I felt like I did not fit in. I > would describe myself as a very liberal > personality that is very interested in music, > literature and so on. However, most of the guys in > my team during the internship were pretty > conservative and had very different interests and > hobbies. Although I tried my best, I had some > trouble to establish a personal relationship to > most of my team members. I know that my team was > not necessarily representative for the whole > finance industry, but I think that I would have > some trouble to work in a “conservative” > environment. > > My question: Let’s say money is not the most > important thing. What kind of areas, companies, > organizations and professions do you know, where > it would be possible to combine finance related > work at a high analytical level with a liberal, > maybe intellectual environment? The only things > that come into mind so far are teaching and > working for an organization like the OECD. I you > have any other ideas I would really appreciate it. > > > Any input is appreciated! > > CFAStudentNow I wouldn’t characterize any major investment bank or corporation as necessarily having an intellectual/artistic environment. Remember that folks with these interests are the exception rather than the norm in society; as you increase the size of the firm, things tend towards the mean, i.e. people that may not necessarily be predisposed to things cultured and refined. However, you may find your extracurricular interests in music and literature to be a refreshing and necessary “escape” from work, and something you can enjoy in your free time. Just because you work in a big accounting or finance firm shouldn’t prevent you from enjoying those things. Remember that while most of us try to like our jobs, few of us truly love it – that’s what hobbies are for. Work is something we do to make ends meet and to put food on our tables. (I myself have a strong interest in classical music and the arts, so I can definitely relate to you.)

CFAStudentNow Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Guys! > > I need your advice concerning which way to go with > my career. I know that it may sound silly for most > of you guys, but for me it looks like a serious > problem: > > My background: I am a finance major at a European > University (Master program). I took the CFA Level > I exam last June and I am preparing now for the > CFA Level II exam this year. I am really into > finance, I just love this stuff. > > My problem: While I really like to work with > theoretical finance problems, I have some doubt if > I fit in the finance industry. I just did an M&A > related internship at a BIG4 company (Transaction > Services) and I felt like I did not fit in. I > would describe myself as a very liberal > personality that is very interested in music, > literature and so on. However, most of the guys in > my team during the internship were pretty > conservative and had very different interests and > hobbies. Although I tried my best, I had some > trouble to establish a personal relationship to > most of my team members. I know that my team was > not necessarily representative for the whole > finance industry, but I think that I would have > some trouble to work in a “conservative” > environment. > > My question: Let’s say money is not the most > important thing. What kind of areas, companies, > organizations and professions do you know, where > it would be possible to combine finance related > work at a high analytical level with a liberal, > maybe intellectual environment? The only things > that come into mind so far are teaching and > working for an organization like the OECD. I you > have any other ideas I would really appreciate it. > > > Any input is appreciated! > > CFAStudentNow Based on 2 statements, I infer that you should become a Finance Professor. Note that these guys (Assistant Finance Professors - straight after PhD) make $130,000 in the US. You can also earn cash during your PhD. Thus, not wholly incompatible with any materialistic proclivities you may harbour. #1 “While I really like to work with theoretical finance problems…” #2 “I would describe myself as a very liberal personality that is very interested in music, literature and so on.”