Advice for newbie L3

Before the excitement of next week on 19 Aug kicks in can you L3ers advise a prospective L3 on exam strategies for L3. How different is L3 from L2?

dude

go away

time management and familiarization of the format are very important I spent 15 minutes at the begining of this year’s L3 just to figure out where to write the essay answers, which I regretted very much at the end of the exam while I was scrambling to finish the exam. So don’t think this is trivial. one week before the exam, do spend an hour to fully familiarize yourself with the format of the answer sheet. many of this year’s L3 takers would tell you how time was short in the AM session. Be mentally prepared to deal with the time issue. It is difficult to concentrate and monitor the time simultaneously. I spent the first 2 1/2 hours fully concentrated, but failed to monitor time and utilize it efficiently. Don’t make this mistake

I think the biggest myth about L3 is that it’s easier than L2, I don’t remember how I got this impression in the first place, but it’s just not true in my opinion. I didn’t find it any easier, as a matter of fact, I would trade the two IPS questions for 10 sets of quants, derivatives, equity or even FSA from L2. At least you know when you’re right, with this IPS cr*** you’re never really sure.

Make sure you know BRICs by heart - I would spend at least 50% of my study time on this since you will probably see 3-4 essay questions on it. I would spend the other 50% doing the optional readings, which will reinforce your leanings. Godspeed to you.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the biggest myth about L3 is that it’s > easier than L2, I don’t remember how I got this > impression in the first place, but it’s just not > true in my opinion. > +1 that said, i enjoyed learning the L3 curriculum the most.

even i heard that L2 was harder… but in may it dawned on me that it was hopelessly incorrect… L3 is the toughest, no doubt

yo twdavid, r u from taiwan??

ywu002, r u from taiwan?

yes, i am, taichung actually

cool another one from TW

STUDY EVERYTHING THAT YOU THINK TO YOURSELF “NO WAY WOULD THEY TEST THIS/ NO WAY THEY COULD MAKE THIS A MORNING TYPE QUESTION” BECAUSE ABOUT 6 OUT OF 11 AM QUESTIONS WERE LIKE THIS TO ME.

umm actually all questions came as no surprise to me, what bothered me was a luck of time allocated to each questions

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the biggest myth about L3 is that it’s > easier than L2, I don’t remember how I got this > impression in the first place, but it’s just not > true in my opinion. I think the material was considerably easier, but the test was harder for me than L2.

IPS is the big one. Do tons of practice exam, WRITE OUT THE ANSWERS.

Did anyone do notecards for L3? I wrote them out for each LOS in L1 and 2, which worked out great. But these LOSs look much more open ended. Writing stuff down really helps me remember; anyone have a better approach than notecards? Maybe I just need really really big notecards, like 36x48…

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > > I think the material was considerably easier, but > the test was harder for me than L2. I would agree with this. There isn’t much in level 3 where you don’t understand it the first time you read it that said, it make it harder to remember stuff because you read it once then forget it. The harder concepts in level II were easier to remember once you had figured them out. Then the Exam just seemed to test anything it wasn’t really focused on core material like I felt Level II was. Finally Practice writing the written exams and make sure you are getting the correct information in. I was always much better at MCQ and have did fine for L1 and LII but I think that LIII essay portion is particularly difficult because you need to know how to answer a question very concisely to get the points you need in the time you have. You have to know how to articulate what you know and onto paper and the only way you can do that is by practicing writing out your answers as you may be able to tell from this post I am not very articulate so battled a bit with that.