Advice Needed for my Kid Brother

All, My younger brother is coming to US to do an MS in Financial Mathematics. He has a bachelors in computer engeneering. I have no idea about the tech side as am education is purely accounting and finance. He was asking me whether a CFA with his MS in Financial Mathematics would help him and if so what type of jobs should he target. Any thoughts/ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Hit one of the oft-mentioned job sites (monster.com, etc.) and do a search with your keywords, see what jobs pop out.

Thanks. But does CFA help with what he is going to study? Anyone who is in this line? JoeyDVivre-Could you throw some light on this? Thanks.

Oh – well depending on the curriculum, a typical MS in finance will quickly (after ~1 semester) get into deeper math than CFA. CFA uses no calculus, not much other than time value of money really; MS finance will look at partial derivatives, probably stochastic calculus, lots of fun stuff. That would lead to a job as a quant; if he’s headed in that direction there’s not a lot of need for a CFA (except perhaps for general accounting and portfolio mgmt background)

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh – well depending on the curriculum, a typical > MS in finance will quickly (after ~1 semester) get > into deeper math than CFA. CFA uses no calculus, > not much other than time value of money really; MS > finance will look at partial derivatives, probably > stochastic calculus, lots of fun stuff. That > would lead to a job as a quant; if he’s headed in > that direction there’s not a lot of need for a CFA > (except perhaps for general accounting and > portfolio mgmt background) Agreed I was going to say Quant

ok. Thanks. Will let him know.