Advice please

Here is the situation: just earned my CFA Charter and currently work in the back/middle office of a very stable investment manager. I would like to post out for front office positions, but am concerned about possibly upsetting some people I work with. Should i be concerned, or should I just take the attitude that i have to do this for myself, and am replaceable anyway? Also I have to let my manager know if I’m offered an interview, which I think is stupid- what do you think about that?

I think no one let’s their employer know they are actively looking for another position. When the time comes, leave a gentleman. I am sure they will understand.

It really depends on the relationship you have with your manager. If you have a good manager, he/she will understand your desire to move to FO and taking your career to another level. The key here is to have a frank and open discussion. Now, if your manager views you simply as a BOM doing $hit nobody wants to do and he/she hasn’t shown any interest in helping your defining your career (happens often in back office),you are SOL.

What do you mean you have to let your manager know if you’re offered an interview? Why? Company policy, personal request, etc. ? Also, how can you finish your CFA charter (congrats btw) and then ask if you should go use it? A discussion with your manager about how you can fit into a front office role is a good thing if you’re comfortable with that conversation, but if you know that there is no hope, I would look elsewhere quietly. I don’t understand why you have to let your manager know, and how they would enforce that. While the job market sucks, I see no reason to not try to look for something that suits your abilities, just make sure you don’t lose your job over it.

eganalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What do you mean you have to let your manager know > if you’re offered an interview? Why? Company > policy, personal request, etc. ? > I think he is talking about an internal transfer. When you apply for a position within your existing company, sometimes the word can get out.

eganalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What do you mean you have to let your manager know > if you’re offered an interview? Why? Company > policy, personal request, etc. ? > > Also, how can you finish your CFA charter > (congrats btw) and then ask if you should go use > it? A discussion with your manager about how you > can fit into a front office role is a good thing > if you’re comfortable with that conversation, but > if you know that there is no hope, I would look > elsewhere quietly. I don’t understand why you > have to let your manager know, and how they would > enforce that. > > While the job market sucks, I see no reason to not > try to look for something that suits your > abilities, just make sure you don’t lose your job > over it. I’m talking about an internal transfer. I just don’t like the policy where if you are offered an interview internally you need to notify the manager. The fact of the matter I have a much, much better chance of getting a good investments job internally than I do externally, due to my background. gonna make this happen