Advice urgently needed on job offer

Hey All, Was hoping I could pick your brains. I received a verbal offer for a middle office position at a BB bank after 2 months of searching, recently relocated. I need to accept/decline on Monday, however still have 2 other interviews coming up this week which I would like to get through - both FO. I am definitely more excited about these 2 roles than the one I got offered, however the chances that I get one of them are definitely slimmer, as it is not where my experience lies (altough I do have FO banking experience). I tried to win more time to get back on the offer, but seems they are pretty eager to get things signed. So my question is… would it be an option to accept the offer, go to the other interviews, and then decline/cancel the offer in that 1-2 week period they are doing the reference checks etc, IF I receive one of the other 2 roles. The role has a one week notice period… I know I am probably trying to have my cake and eat it too, but if I decline the offer I might not get one of the FO roles and be screwed. Alternatively if I accept and call the other 2 companies to cancel the interviews I will always wonder what if… Hope above made sense… any insights appreciated. thx!

no problem at all. accept the mo role and continue to actively pursue the fo role.

I’d politely ask for an extension if you could and let them know you’re still engaged in other processes. You say they “seemed pretty eager” to get things started but does that mean they *won’t* give you an extension? There’s a difference. If it were me, I’d call them first thing in the morning on Monday and ask. If they say “no” and only give you till end of the day, then you have decisions to make. At that point, I’d probably accept the offer and just keep interviewing with the other firms, and just renege on the offer if it’s not disharmonious with your principles and ethics – some people care about reneging, others don’t. I don’t want to take a position on this since it’s not my decision to make…just helping you think of the different possibilities. At the end of the day, being in the middle office is not where you want to be if you’re hoping to get in the front office later. Other than that, you’ve got some choices to make! Good luck.

Absolutely!!!Here is what I would do if I were you. Don’t call to cancel the upcoming interviews. I will go through both of them and see what happens. I will also accept the MO offer. Even if you end up not getting anywhere with your FO interviews, it 's not likely they will find out about it so it will be as if nothing happened. If you DO end up getting one of the 2 jobs. Call your MO employer, tell them you have a better offer and you won’t be joining them. Simple as that! You are probably burning bridge there but honestly fucking who cares. Bottom line: always go for the better job.

Do what is best for you. Try to get more time, if they wont and you would take this job if you didnt have the others, then take it and if you land something in the next couple weeks take that. Look, ideally, you dont like to do those things. But if you are OK doing it, then do what is best for you. I have taken an offer before when I didnt expect to get a counter offer from my company (I didnt think they could/would come anywhere close to the salary increase), but when I resigned they asked if there was anything I could do etc…and really I preferred to stay, so even though I really didnt like doing it, I backed out of the other.

Thanks guys, all your comments are very helpful. The job is through a recruiter so it does make it a tad more difficult, especially in the case I do go back on the offer as the Bank as well as the recruiter will probably hate me… Anyway, you guys have confirmed what I was thinking. I will ask for an extension again, if not I will accept MO, go to the other interviews and see how things go. It will be tough going back on the offer as I hate wasting people’s time and effort, and would personally feel I let them down, however since I might not even get one of the FO roles I won’t break my head about that now… Thanks again!

Don’t stall for time, they may pull th offer. accept then continue to interview. Don’t feel bad. The co wouldn’t hesitate to screw you I it helped them.

LBriscoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no problem at all. accept the mo role and > continue to actively pursue the fo role. +1 IMO it’s a bad idea to ask for an extension for when to accept the job. Accept it and negotiate a later starting date so that you have time to interview with the other positions you want more.

I turned down a nice analyst job, because like you I had other interviews comming up and they were for better jobs… Guess what, I turned down what would have been a well paying job at the top Bank in the country. Now I am unemployed, the others did not see my potential… Risk and return buddy, in these current market conditions I would avoid risk.

Absolutely take the offer you have. Then go to the other interviews and IF you get a better offer than accept the better offer and call back the original company and let them know that you got another offer you just couldn’t refuse. You gotta watch your own back in this one, just as employers do.

Think about your own interests, period.

You will certainly be blacklisted from that firm, and all the people that interviewed you would personally blacklist you as well (if they move to other companies I mean). If you can take that chance, do it. If you’re going to renege on a big firm with a lot of connections, I wouldn’t recommend it. Wall street is big, but you’d be ultra surprised the tight connections it has.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You will certainly be blacklisted from that firm, > and all the people that interviewed you would > personally blacklist you as well (if they move to > other companies I mean). > > If you can take that chance, do it. If you’re > going to renege on a big firm with a lot of > connections, I wouldn’t recommend it. > > Wall street is big, but you’d be ultra surprised > the tight connections it has. Nobody is going a damn about an entry level guy taking a better job. Not to mention they’re middle office - if they had front office connections to call and whine to then they’d be doing that right after they sent their own resume.

bay.street Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Absolutely take the offer you have. Then go to the > other interviews and IF you get a better offer > than accept the better offer and call back the > original company and let them know that you got > another offer you just couldn’t refuse. You gotta > watch your own back in this one, just as employers > do. Agree with this. In my recent case, I got about a month before my start date which let me vet a few options. I’d work that in, based on a big project or something.

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Nobody is going a damn about an entry level guy > taking a better job. Not to mention they’re > middle office - if they had front office > connections to call and whine to then they’d be > doing that right after they sent their own resume. Yes nobody gives a damn about middle office. But HR will give a damn. All it takes is one ding by HR and you’re f*cked ever trying to get back into that firm. HR has far more veto power than you know.