Advice

I know this topic has probably been run into the ground and I’ve read some of the previous threads but I wanted to post a thread of my own and see if I could get some of your thoughts. I’m 27. I’m in back office doing investment accounting with a state pension fund and have never held a front office position (been in BO for 3.5 years). I want to get into equity research. I passed level 1 back in June. My plan thus far has been to study and take the GMAT at the beginning of Dec. then start CFA level 2 studying and take level 2 next June. Planning on trying for B school fall of 2010 after hopefully having level 2 and 3 under my belt. I would like to try for a school around #20 ranking. I’m worried that I may not be able to get in though due to a poor undergrad GPA and unimpressive work experience but I’m confident that I could score in the 700s with diligent studying. I guess my questions are: Is it not a good idea to take the GMAT so far away from when I plan on applying? With possibly not being able to get into a school in say top 25 would it be better to just forget about the MBA all together? If I still wanted to consider the MBA but with recent large changes in the finance universe, would it be better to forget about the MBA for right now and just hunker down and work on CFA? Of the two alternatives, which would be the most helpful for an entry level person. I know I’m running out of time as far as my age goes and I know that getting onto the investment side is all about the networking and making contacts and I’m working on that but I also want to do what I can to improve myself. Thank you for your thoughts.

I dont know much, and I dont know whats best. But I think you can get where you want to, to an FO role. Just try knock off level 2 and possibly 3, and possibly then head down the MBA road. But from what I hear, you really should try for a top ranking one, so yes it may not be worth it if its low down. Secondly, I think you should start applying now (even if the market is crap) for jobs, while you are doing your CFA, it cant hurt I think, and you may get lucky. Try for some smaller boutique firms, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

asayers Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know this topic has probably been run into the > ground and I’ve read some of the previous threads > but I wanted to post a thread of my own and see if > I could get some of your thoughts. I’m 27. I’m > in back office doing investment accounting with a > state pension fund and have never held a front > office position (been in BO for 3.5 years). I > want to get into equity research. I passed level > 1 back in June. My plan thus far has been to > study and take the GMAT at the beginning of Dec. > then start CFA level 2 studying and take level 2 > next June. Planning on trying for B school fall > of 2010 after hopefully having level 2 and 3 under > my belt. I would like to try for a school around > #20 ranking. I’m worried that I may not be able > to get in though due to a poor undergrad GPA and > unimpressive work experience but I’m confident > that I could score in the 700s with diligent > studying. I guess my questions are: Is it not a > good idea to take the GMAT so far away from when I > plan on applying? With possibly not being able to > get into a school in say top 25 would it be better > to just forget about the MBA all together? If I > still wanted to consider the MBA but with recent > large changes in the finance universe, would it be > better to forget about the MBA for right now and > just hunker down and work on CFA? Of the two > alternatives, which would be the most helpful for > an entry level person. I know I’m running out of > time as far as my age goes and I know that getting > onto the investment side is all about the > networking and making contacts and I’m working on > that but I also want to do what I can to improve > myself. > > Thank you for your thoughts. You could try to get a better job now instead of hoping to be bailed out by some MBA program. Have you even tried looking? How many interviews have you been on in the past six months? Maybe the reason you haven’t found what you wanted is because you don’t really want it all that much.