advise on an entry level job

i have no experience in finance…i am a level 1 candidate… i graduated with a BS in nutrition and currently a manager of a retail business… would i be able to find a job in anything that deals with finance? thanx in advance

*Makes popcorn. Sits back. Watches.*

no, not this year, except maybe a financial planner/advisor type role.

lol.

The thing is, everyone started somewhere outside of finance and then entered finance. Some may have studied it in college and then gone on, others were something else and converted, but nobody I know was born as a banker(or whatever). So it is possible to find a job in the industry as everyone else has done it. With that said, man you have a road ahead of you with that background. Ouch. I am not in HR but I would think the question would be “huh?” Good luck to you though, just keep pushing on and try not to get discouraged…but man, thats a tough boat to be in. Or I agree with newsmaker, from ads I have seen for advisors you are a prime candidate for a Financial Advisor job…blehhhhh

Yes, you would be able to find something in finance. I used to work for a large commercial bank, and they would hire just about anyone with a degree into their retail back office. Keep in mind this is retail banking back office, not investment back office or asset management back office. That said, I did know a guy who worked his way out of that, into asset management back office, and he can pass all three levels, will probably find a front office job at some point. (disclaimer: this guy did have a finance degree).

jamal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i have no experience in finance…i am a level 1 > candidate… i graduated with a BS in nutrition > and currently a manager of a retail business… > > would i be able to find a job in anything that > deals with finance? > > thanx in advance There is an article in the atlantic monthly this month about higher education in this country. Read it. Then decide if you are cut out for this career switch. If you can honestly say you are, then go ahead and don’t look back.

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > *Makes popcorn. Sits back. Watches.* Lol, so F’ed up…

i have a fuckin sociology degree as my undergrad, it was a mistake that i made when i was in love with something other then money. all it means is your gonna have to bang out for a few years while you build up your cred, im basicaly redoing an accounting undergrad at night while i work on the cfa exams too. it sucks because i know guys clockin 300k a year and im eating ramen noodles and kraft cheese and doing some pretty basic stuff at work. however, thats life sometimes its pretty shitty. yo and if you get desperate for that LV murse growing hydro dosnt take much skill.

Thanx all for your advise… after passing Level 1 in December, what are my chances at that point?

The same as now I suspect? I know mine didnt change…

Re: advise on an entry level job Posted by: XSellSide (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: May 19, 2008 05:24PM *Makes popcorn. Sits back. Watches.* hilarious

i know after passing my cfa level 1 i got the same number of calls as i did before the exam. Most of the time I get “wow u passed CFA l1 good for u! But we are looking for accountants and ppl with finance degrees so we’ll just pass u by” Damn OC and their Non existent finance industry.