Affiliate Member v. Regular Member

I swear, it’s like reading tea leaves. Why must they be so opaque? Does anyone know where on the site - either in the candidate or member area - that CFAI indicates your standing as either a regular member or an affiliate member. As I understand it, the local society can accept your work experience, and then, CFAI can accept only part of it, tell you, “CONGRATULATIONS!” but have only accepted you for affiliate membership. Who can clarify?

You should have received the email from CFAI in the early August confirming your membership type. The emails says “…Our records indicate that you have been accepted as a Regular member of CFA Institute and applied to one of our affiliated societies; thereby, meeting the membership requirement for the eventual award of the CFA charter.” My guess is if you got that email, that pretty much tells you are a regular member already. Does anyone agree?

I agree. As a check, look up your local society member list; mine shows up as a “Regular” Member.

I just checked the CFAI online status… it said “Congratulations! You have been approved for Membership”. 48 months of work exp accepted. 1) Do I just wait for the invoice from CFAI for member’s dues? 2) Should I expect a separate email from the Local Society for payment of dues? Thanks in advance to those in the know.

Just found it on the HKSFA (Hong Kong) website: The fiscal year of HKSFA runs from 1 July to 30 June. CFA Institute will notify members by email about the billings for joining fee and annual dues of both CFA Institute and HKSFA.(please refer to CFA Institute for its Annual Dues details)

Does anybody know what is the process to apply for affiliate membership?

vitto, contact either cfai or your local society for details. Can often be done online.

The application process is the same for both

thanks guys

Kondratieff Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I swear, it’s like reading tea leaves. > > Why must they be so opaque? > > Does anyone know where on the site - either in the > candidate or member area - that CFAI indicates > your standing as either a regular member or an > affiliate member. > > As I understand it, the local society can accept > your work experience, and then, CFAI can accept > only part of it, tell you, “CONGRATULATIONS!” but > have only accepted you for affiliate membership. > > Who can clarify? I don’t think it’s possible to be a regular member of a society but only an affiliate member of CFAI. The two applications go more hand in glove than that.

emarkhans Wrote: > > I don’t think it’s possible to be a regular member > of a society but only an affiliate member of CFAI. > The two applications go more hand in glove than > that. NYSSA, e.g., informed me that they do no WE review; they are told by CFAI whether a member is affiliate or regular and they update their records.