Afghanistan retreat

lets get some discussion going. imo i think the us needs to mind their own business. they toppled the previous govt, killed 300k people over there, set up a puppet government and trained them for 20 years and it fails almost immediately. at this point the people has spoken and its time to leave that country and stop imposing our culture on others. unless we get another org do a terrorist attack and seek shelter, i dont see the point of hanging there after spending 2 trillion dollars.

the previous president ran away with 100 mil lol

What should have happened is, as soon as we killed Bin Laden in 2011, the US should have declared victory and pulled out. Instead, we clung to a presence there, falling victim to an incrementalist military and foreign policy and muddying the waters as to what the defined objective really was.

I think it takes a special kind of arrogant to work in Warshington DC. It’s not that people go into politics and become narcissistic asholes–they’re narcissistic asholes to begin with, and that’s why they go into poltitics. Being in office just enables them to be what they already are.

Not only do they need to stop imposing their culture on other countries–they need to stop imposing it on the citizens of the US.

2 Likes

Agree they probably should have pulled out well before now. They’ve given their people a flavour of western freedoms and when Afghan women are throwing their babies over barbed wire fencing to US troops, the reality they’ve once been use to is clearly horrendous.
I think the US and other developed nation have a duty to take in the people desperate to escape. Refuge is easier said than done of course but a shared responsibility here is probably manageable. Huge language barriers, education gaps, culture difference will be a significant hurdle but something has to be done. Turning a blind eye and just walking away from the situation is inhumane.
Pretty mental that the Taliban got welcomed into the city though, clearly can’t change some cultural beliefs

reminds me of vietnam. anyways the way i look at it. the us should help the people who supported them but one can argue that the us gave enough support for them to survive and they still brutally failed. lets keep in mind, we spent 2 trillion dollars here.
from the taliban perspectives these same people who are fearful for their lives are the ones who betrayed them and sided with a foreign invader, aka traitors. keeping them alive would continue to sow dissent against the current regime.

You’d hope enough seeds have been planted over 20 years for the people to rise against the cultural norms, thinking the younger generation would want/encourage/drive change. With that being said the Taliban don’t seem to hesitate with the use of extreme violence on their own folk, even if they did, there are plenty of examples - some very recent, where efforts to protest/influence change really don’t matter.
Has me wondering if the next 20 years of war there will be fought by women

Honestly I don’t know anything about these conflicts. I really don’t. But, I wouldn’t be surprised either if the Taliban turned out not to be as evil as I’ve been lead to believe over the last 20 years.