After Interview Process

If you interviewed with 3 different people in 1 day, is a generalized thank you email sent to all 3 people sufficient, or should you send 3 seperate emails?

I always do separate emails for each person I meet

Always do separate as well.

Separate for sure. More personalized (leaving a better feeling with each person)

Just make sure that each email is different. I think it is quite tacky if you send the same email to multiple people.

Usually I do a handwritten thank you note. Is it more professional to utilize email for these instances?

I’m heavily involved in campus recruiting at my firm and we always end up comparing thank you notes. It’s certainly not an HR or recruiting policy but it’s something the interviewers do for kicks. More often than not, people just use a “form” thank you note and change the names. Does this realistically have any effect on whether someone receives another round or an offer? Probably not, since it’s likely that the decision has been made prior to receiving a thank you note. However, if the person is coming back for another round I definitely think more highly of him or her if I receive a personalized thank you note. I was actually surprised upon hearing from a recruiter that candidates shouldn’t send thank you notes out of risk of incorrectly spelling a name, stating incorrect information from the interview, or leaving someone out. While this recruiter is entitled to his opinion, I certainly disagree.

I went for a FM role interview once and during the first five minutes where it’s just friendly “chit chat” before they start to grill you I found the interviewer liked a particular type of German beer. Instead of a thank you note I sent him a 4 pak!

Did you get the job?

Nice move! Had an interviewer that went to my school so shot him some info that came up in discussion about an event coming down the pike. I think the helps a bit. Got the job. My cut off has been 4 people. 3 or less I go individual. > 3 I email heade dude or manager to be and say please thank x, y and z for me. How many different stories can you write on one position?

No I didn’t get that job 'cos they offered me a better one! It was an analyst role rather than FM. Usually try and find a common ground in the five min of general discussion. I.e a sports team They ask you hows you day been, you say I’m a bit guttered about Raiders loosing. Then just go on from there. Distinguish yourself from the other candidates, try and not do thank you notes like I had a pleasant time meeting x,y,z etc. Say “you’re a nice bunch of guys, if you’re keen into golf and you’re ever around (your area), call in for a game and cold drink, it will be my shout” etc

I too am a big fan of the “find common ground and mention it in the thank you note” approach. It shows that you were paying attention and it makes a sharp/alert impression…

enzoin10 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No I didn’t get that job 'cos they offered me a > better one! It was an analyst role rather than > FM. > > Usually try and find a common ground in the five > min of general discussion. I.e a sports team > > They ask you hows you day been, you say I’m a bit > guttered about Raiders loosing. Then just go on > from there. > > Distinguish yourself from the other candidates, > try and not do thank you notes like I had a > pleasant time meeting x,y,z etc. > > Say “you’re a nice bunch of guys, if you’re keen > into golf and you’re ever around (your area), call > in for a game and cold drink, it will be my shout” > etc enzoin10 – Interesting approach. But may I suggest another one – why not go into your next interview and say, “I am Enzo! The baker!!! Remember me?” (said in a heavy Italian accent, to be sure) A Godfather quote is your shoo-in for practically any finance job you interview for.