After L3

Fellow Canucks, After passing L3, was there a noticeable increase in the number of interviews you were receiving as opposed to having just passed L2? I define noticeable as proportionately more attention being given compared to the attention given after L2.

I’ll let you know in about 1.5 years, if lucky:-)

not sure what the market is like in Canada, but LIII or not, people aren’t exactly interested in hiring right now in the states, so while you should certainly keep trying and finish LIII, you should be happy with what you have to an extent…

Is the unemployment rate between CFAs lower than non-chartered? Any one here who is actually chartered and unemployed ?

Frank, I believe in this case our problems are more systematic rather than non-systematic if you get my drift. Fingers crossed

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is the unemployment rate between CFAs lower than > non-chartered? Any one here who is actually > chartered and unemployed ? I seem to remember reading somewhere that being true.

>After passing L3, was there a noticeable increase in the number of interviews you were receiving Not at all. But hey, at least I have more time to work out and my body fat percentage is in single digit now at age 40!! (^_^)

I would have to say no as well. It’s a tick on a recruitment consultant’s checklist but other things are more important if you already work in the industry. However, it does help you negotiate a higher salary and will give you the edge in securing that job. Just don’t expect the phone to ring off the hook just because you have CFA after your name.

CFA won’t help if you don’t have a finance background. Especially in this market.

from reading the above posts… does this mean passing L1 is usually good enough??? does any one know how job market here in US compared to other locations (england, middle east, …)

Jamal, To become a Charterholder you need L1 + L2 + L3 which is greater than L1.

yeah i knew, does L1 open any door without previews experience?

Passing level 1 helped me a lot. However, I was coming out of undergrad.

what kind of jobs you were offered ? what was you undergrad in and did it have any effect in getting the job?

I finally got a sell side research associate position after about 5 months of pursuing it. I graduated from the University of Florida Dec. 07. 99% of the jobs coming to UF that I was going for were back office jobs from BBs to local banks. Funny thing is, I didn’t have a job at graduation (still pursing the RA job at the time). I went back to my schools career fair as an alum and applied for all the same BO jobs that I got denied from last semester. Two days later I got a call that I got the RA job, but I never got a single call for even an interview for all the BO jobs that I applied for. I thought that was funny. Anyways, I was told passing level 1 was a huge difference maker. They would have passed over me (ie I would not have even gotten an interview) since I was your standard finance undergrad with a 3.7 GPA and no meaningful internship. Edit: I was a finance major with an entrepreneurship minor.

Niblita75 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I finally got a sell side research associate > position after about 5 months of pursuing it. I > graduated from the University of Florida Dec. 07. > 99% of the jobs coming to UF that I was going for > were back office jobs from BBs to local banks. > Funny thing is, I didn’t have a job at graduation > (still pursing the RA job at the time). I went > back to my schools career fair as an alum and > applied for all the same BO jobs that I got denied > from last semester. Two days later I got a call > that I got the RA job, but I never got a single > call for even an interview for all the BO jobs > that I applied for. I thought that was funny. > > Anyways, I was told passing level 1 was a huge > difference maker. They would have passed over me > (ie I would not have even gotten an interview) > since I was your standard finance undergrad with a > 3.7 GPA and no meaningful internship. > > Edit: I was a finance major with an > entrepreneurship minor. What company are you going to be working for? Raymond James? or somewhere out of FL?

RJ

I interviewed there for a WM position. It was kind of funny because I received an offer from a small buyside shop on my drive down to RJ. Have you sarted yet? If so, what do you think about their research?

I haven’t started yet. So far, I have only read the “Quick Takes” that I get sent to me. They are about a page each on whatever big news occured that day. I have a 200+ annual report thats taken a back seat to L2 material. Matter of fact I think I lost it. Anyways, I can’t comment on their research since I don’t have anything to really compare it to. How much does it suck to get stuck in gridlock on that bridge?

Niblita75, do you still plan on writing L2 in June (if you ever registered)? Thanks, trying to compare.