after sending the resume

I’ve applied for a AVP position 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard from them since. I’m very excited about the position and the company who is hiring and I really want to know why I still haven’t heard anything yet (though I know this is a new area from what I currently work). Therefore I did some search on the company’s side and find out all the people on the team are CFAs. After a quick search on CFA member directory and LinkedIn, I found both contact info for VP and a AVP. The question is will it be non-professional to contact those people regarding my application and showing my enthusiasm? and if not, how am I going to approach that? sending them an intro email? inputs are greatly appreciated.

Sure send an email. It’s innocuous enough, they can delete it if they want.

cant hurt, but my experience is that if a company wants you, they take no longer than 7-10 days to get back to you. After 2 weeks, you are toast, pretty much.

thanks for the comments. I sense that I probably got toasted but still hold some hope.

When I asked my career advisor in college how persistent should I be when I find a position I really like, he said to “stop calling and emailing the people once they have a restraining order against you.” I think there is some validity to that statement, but depends on how much you want to resort to low-blow tactics to get the job you want. This girl I knew wanted a position at Goldman as a lawyer in NYC and called the manager every single day and left a message on his voicemail the same time of the day, every day for almost a year. She finally got the position and she said they used to joke about it at cocktail parties years after, but that seemed a bit extreme to me. Up to you. On another note, for my current job, the guy said he would send me an offer, but never sent it. I did not understand and had to call/email him almost 5 times to get it through and did not find out until after I was hired that he was super busy and always traveling and was slow to respond. So that may be the case as well.

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I think there is some validity to that statement, > but depends on how much you want to resort to > low-blow tactics to get the job you want. This > girl I knew wanted a position at Goldman as a > lawyer in NYC and called the manager every single > day and left a message on his voicemail the same > time of the day, every day for almost a year. She > finally got the position hmmm, I dont buy this one. this is reality, not pursuit of happyness > > On another note, for my current job, the guy said > he would send me an offer, but never sent it. I > did not understand and had to call/email him > almost 5 times to get it through and did not find > out until after I was hired that he was super busy > and always traveling and was slow to respond. So > that may be the case as well. wall st is ok, but some companies like WMT are so fu**** slow. all my buds from MBA had to deal with these corporate nitwits all the time. most time on wall st, people tell you to your face if you are good or not. and i love that up front candor.

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think there is some validity to that statement, > but depends on how much you want to resort to > low-blow tactics to get the job you want. This > girl I knew wanted a position at Goldman as a > lawyer in NYC and called the manager every single > day and left a message on his voicemail the same > time of the day, every day for almost a year. She > finally got the position and she said they used to > joke about it at cocktail parties years after, but > that seemed a bit extreme to me. Up to you. > Wow… unbelievable. sounds like drama movie. I will give it a try…lol… just kidding…

In The persuit of happyness, Will stood outside the Dean Witter’s, SFO office for 1 month before he could get a application form/interview call for their regressive intern application. Just ask the red ferrari guy 2 questions: 1. What do you do and 2. how do you do it?

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cant hurt, but my experience is that if a company > wants you, they take no longer than 7-10 days to > get back to you. After 2 weeks, you are toast, > pretty much. Not necessarily true. I have been contacted months down the road in some cases. Sometimes they put a hold on the hiring after listing the job.

Ok I will tell your guys what’s going on. After a weekend’s thoughts, I decide to write an email to follow up with this VP. And guess what! I got the reply in less than 2 HOURS. He said because of the vacation and business travel, the hiring being slow. He’d like to speak with me tomorrow afternoon. I’m so excited to hear that and will prepare for this talk tomorrow! So persistence is good sometimes. And thanks projectplatnyc, you are right on this one!!! BTW Sorry to hear about LEH… very shocked indeed… wtf in this world now…

I’d be phreaked out if someone did that to me

Forget Pursuit of Happyness, you gotta do it like Fight Club Shave your head and stand at attention outside the main entrance and don’t move or flinch no matter how many times they slap your face or say you’re too old or too fat I know a guy that stood outside MS’s entrance in NYC for two months straight, no sleep, no food, nothing. Promoted straight to MD.